The Student Room Group

IB Geography HL

Hey all!
I'm trying to make my own little library of case studies to study
for the up coming exam, and was wondering if any geography
students would be willing to contribute? Our geo teacher...well
doesn't exist, so any addition would be a great help.
Thnx all
Well, I don't have any of my Geog things with me on my laptop so I can't help you with the actual information. I can tell you some of the case studies I studied for my exams and maybe you can look them up. I know, not helpful really but still. Anyway you'll find Vietnam in there a lot, but I don't suppose you will be using those.

Population, Resources and Development:

Post WWII development in Japan
Sustainable development in Vietnam
Population: population control methods in: Italy, Singapore (pro-natal) and China, Vietnam (anti-natal). China is a bit cliched actually. Singapore actually went from anti-natal to pro-natal so that was interesting.
Water resources: Three Gorges Dam Yangze River in China, Arial Sea (lack of water resources)
Food resources in Africa
(I found that in my class we only studied mainly water and food resources which was really risky because we got an oil and energy resources question on our exam that obviously we couldn't answer, so it's good to have a case study on that as well)

Lithospheric hazard and mass movements:
Human impacts on mass movement in the Alps (skiing)
Kobe 1995 earthquake (MEDC)
Banda Aceh 2004 Earthquake and tsunami (LEDC)
Mt. St. Helens 1980 eruption (MEDC)
Mt. Pinatubo 1991 eruption (Philippines LEDC)

Rivers and their management:
Three Gorges Dam in the Yangze River (China)
Mississippi
Hoa Binh HEP Dam in Vietnam
The River Tee in England includes many fluvial features and is a good case study for fluvial features

Globalisation:
Tourism in Vietnam and South East Asia
Anti-globalisation : North Korea (I love this case study, shocking view into North Korea)
Some multi-national corporations: Sony, McDonalds, Huyndai
souns like a wikked diea. theres only two people in my class so its kinda hard to set one up within out school. how wud u do it?
Hehe...2 ppl, we can't quite beat that, we're 4 for the SL class and 3 for the HL class, I'm HL. Geo's become ever so popular these days:rolleyes: We were about 10 ppl to begin with last year and they slowly left, one after the other, after our Geo teacher frightened the hell out of them with the global circulation system...Rossby wave, Coriolis force, etc etc etc...
Well, back to topic, what options are you doing? We're doing Climatic Hazards and Change (alll about Katrina for us lol), Coasts and their management (doing Bangladesh islands, again New Orleans and also Suffolk as case studies), Settlements (doing mostly local stuff, like the decline of the village, deindustrialisation, blah...also did the growth of Cairo as an int. case study), and lastly Globalisation (did lots of case studies on tourism, ecotourism, etc, but also cotton farming)
we had 4 pple in our Geog class - 2 HL, 2 SL.
My class did:

River and their management
Globalisation
Lithospheric hazards and mass movement
Coasts and their management (HL only)

Do any of you consider doin the map work question for Paper 2? I never bothered. I passed right over the map question in my exam. Didn't even look at it :p:
Reply 5
I have only just started IB2 but these are the case studies we have done so far.
Population
Darfur, Sudan (Migration)
Coffee Trade in PNG
Sweden and Nepal (Development)
Malaria
The Nile (Water)

Drainage Basins
The Murray Darling Basin, Australia (Management)
The Nile Basin (Conflict)
The Lederderg Basin, Australia
Reply 6
our class is screwed, we're all screwed
our teacher didn't tell us which options he's teaching and said it's up to which ones we choose to study and write...
basically, we have scattered case studies, which have all yet to be marked.
This is a bottomless pitt....
canucks19
our class is screwed, we're all screwed
our teacher didn't tell us which options he's teaching and said it's up to which ones we choose to study and write...
basically, we have scattered case studies, which have all yet to be marked.
This is a bottomless pitt....

WTF??? If he's not telling you what option he's teaching then what on earth are you doing in class?
ouch sorry to hear abour ur probelms canucks.
we are doing (optionswise that is):
lithospheric hazards(couple of volcanoes, also some mass movemnt canse studies, one is wales abervan i think)
coasts( holderness coast, its in kent, need to do more global studies)
rivers( local river we did our fieldwoprk written reports on, nile and colorado)
globalisation(loadsa tourism stuff, ibiza, cuba, gambia)

a case study bank sounds like an awesoem idea to me
Reply 9
we study the options of our choice, it's a class of about 15 people and we
get together in groups. But honestly, it's looking real bad for may, no matter how much we do there's only so much we can....
can anyone tell me what case studies are there for drainage basin management and settlements? if u have notes it'll be even better

geog here sucks. population was ok enough, but I'm studying 120+ pages of drainage notes to answer ONE IB question ):
drainage basins and their management: we did the Three Gorges Dam in China (Yangze river.) it's a really good case study, as there's a lot issues with it. but unfortunately I dont have notes with me. oh yeah we also did the arial sea which fits in with both drainage basins and water resources.

(did that help? of course not. nvm)
It may not make you feel better but at the place i study we are 17, no possibilities of ib-way studying (to call it somehow) because there aren't enough funds for us to do big research projects and things are really bad for us...At least, you are allowed to do prepare your own work, i am supposed to study non-stop until June, when i sit for my pre-University exams....Wouldn't like a change wouldn't you?
Reply 13
let's revive this thread, I'm sure there a plenty of geography students.
Crap..I never even thought about collecting my case study notes...it's all scattered somewhere on my bedroom floor
Reply 15
I've just started my first IB year...

first term is over and the few case studies we've done sofar were ...
on Malaria, China's anti-natalist policy, Romania's pro-natalist policy,Migration:Chad/Darfur refugee movement,Economic migration of A8 countries to Britian after 2004 EU expansion, Climatic Hazards and change: Bangladesh cyclones...Sidr, Hurricane Katrina, Oklahoma 1999 Tornadoes
...thats about what I remeber...
Yes i did three gorges dam + Colorado River for drainage management.
Reply 17
Hi, I teach geography and have been putting my resources together on my website - there are loads of case studies that you can use on there. There are plenty of links also to places from which you can compile case studies. Its free by the way.

The website is www.i-study.co.uk

The IB section is: www.i-study.co.uk/Students/IB_student_section.html

Hope it is of some use.

Thanks
Reply 18
I finished the IB this year, but had the Globalization thing that you guys have- check out the IB study guide by Nagle and Cook. Very, very useful for all your case studies/ notes. Also have a look at 'Planet Geography', some nice Urbanization case studies for those of you who are doing it. It's a very good idea to make case study profiles, btw :smile:
Reply 19
Try using http://www.thegeographeronline.net/ to find case studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending