University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Geology 2016

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shane Webb
I made this thread for anyone who wants to apply to do Geology starting in 2016, or any kind of Earth Sciences degree at Birmingham.
Personally, I want to apply to the Masters which requires AAB.
The other unis I am applying to our Manchester, Liverpool, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen.
Anyone else? Any brummies in particular who do Geology and can tell us about it?

Also wanting to apply for Geology and Birmingham for the Msci international course :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Yay
(edited 8 years ago)
Fantastic, welcome to the thread.
Are you going to the bham open day on the 17th?

Yes I am :biggrin:
Ya,look forward to it :smile:
I'll probably see you there then. Are you going to the Geology talk?
I'm coming over with my Granny :smile:
Birmingham acknowledged my application yesterday. I've already got an offer for Royal Holloway which I hope to make my insurance, but bham and manchester are the targets. Fingers crossed.
Good luck to anyone else applying.

Well done, what was your RH offer?
What other unis have you guys applied to? Any ucl,southampton or exeter peeps?
Original post by SciLife
Also wanting to apply for Geology and Birmingham for the Msci international course :smile:

Aberdeen wooo!
ABB
Tbh, I'm so happy RH gave me an offer. I'd much rather go there than Aberdeen as an insurance.

Have you been to open days for any of your choices?
I'm going to Birmingham this weekend, but I've been to Manchester uni twice before and to the museum of the Geology department.
The other ones, unfortunately not. The water between NI and England makes the open days not worth it, you see.

Ah, I see, didn't realise you were coming so far. We've been to a few, Aberdeen was disappointing, Bristol was amazing and is first choice.
Literally just got a Liverpool offer for AAB!!!!!
I'm happy with this. Even if i got rejected from bham and Manchester il happily take Liverpool!

Well done that's a bit of a relief I expect?
My son still hasn't done his application, he's going to apply to Bristol, Durham and Glasgow but isn't sure about the other 2 yet, there doesn't seem to be much variation in the offers for say the top 12 unis. I'll get him to have a look at Liverpool and Manchester, as I don't think he has.
Thanks for your replies :smile:
I had that problem as well- the better unis all have the same offers.
If I were him I'd go for Royal Holloway as my absolute backup- it's not the best uni in the world but it specializes in Geology, so as a backup it's sound.
Good luck for your son's application!

Thanks. He requested a prospectus from RH at the weekend, it looks lovely, although it's a long way from any rocks (he's a climber)!
Haha, I've never been to Egham.
When I told my mum about RH she asked me if it was a prison? Apparently there is a prison called Holloway in London.
The lack of stuff in Egham though does bother me. I'm not exactly a party animal or much of an athlete, but i do Judo and play Dodgeball but RH doesn't really offer good minority sports clubs. If your son is a climber he should consider this, because climbing probably would either not exist at RH due to lack of funds or be a very tiny sports club with at best 10 members.

Mmm that's a good point and is the reason he's not applying to St. Andrews
I was considering geology but I've decided to do geography instead, I went to the geology talk and it sounded good but now I've done my personal statement and reference specifically for geography it seems like a lot of effort to change it all now
Anyone got any offers yet for ucl or birmingham?
Got an offer for Birmingham yesterday, for the Msci

What was your offer, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 16
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
What was your offer, if you don't mind me asking?

AAB, and if I slip up and get ABB I get onto the bsc.
Got an offer for Birmingham yesterday, for the Msci

Congrats!
AAB, and if I slip up and get ABB I get onto the bsc.

Ooo well done, have you visited Birmingham?
Just remembered you came over with your granny for the open day, how was it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Loved it. The staff were really friendly, the students were enthusiastic, and the research of not just the whole Geology department but even the Geography and Environmental Science department was fascinating.
Campus was beautiful, and the facilities look top notch.
Once I hear back from Aberdeen, I'm firming Birmingham. I am having difficulty choosing between Aberdeen and RH for my insurance though.

Great, that's really interesting. We visited Aberdeen and didn't like it, it seems very oil centric, which is good if it's your 'thing', but not if it's not IYKWIM? The city was very uninspiring too :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending