The Student Room Group

Do I need geography/maths for geology?

I haven't started my a levels yet but the college I'm likely to go to has a geology a level as an option. I looked at some universities and many say they require maths or geology. the a levels that i'm thinking of taking are geology, chemistry and english lit/lang.
So does me not taking maths or geography affect what unis i can apply for?
Geography isn't required in any capacity.

Maths is often necessary though and even if not, it's important to recognise geology and earth sciences are fundamentally science degrees which will involve a large chunk of maths. You should therefore realistically be aiming to take it anyway, as you're going to cover that content sooner or later.

If you don't think you can cope with A-level Maths you need to very seriously consider if you would be able to cope with a degree in geology/earth sciences.
It depends on the course and Uni. Earth Sciences at Oxford requires maths A level but some Uni courses don't. The ideal combination of A level subjects would be maths, chemistry and physics. Geography is not required but many students opt for this as third A level if their school doesn't teach geology. Again some Unis ask for A level geology but many don't. Most courses will assume that not everyone will have studied geology at school and start from basics in the first year. For those with A level geology this can seem a bit repetitive and bring.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi, the art_lounger is spreading poor information here. I studied a Geology degree at uni of birmingham and graduted with a first class honours. Geology does not contain as much mathematics as the art_lounger says. For sure there is maths, but nothing complex. I did not study a-level maths and only scrapped at 7 in maths at gcse.
Geography is not essential but would say it gives you a small insight into the world of geology.
Original post by livsimmo
I haven't started my a levels yet but the college I'm likely to go to has a geology a level as an option. I looked at some universities and many say they require maths or geology. the a levels that i'm thinking of taking are geology, chemistry and english lit/lang.
So does me not taking maths or geography affect what unis i can apply for?

Hi There, Just to further answer your question I have asked our current Geology admissions tutor what they think and they have said they agree with what Annon1900 has said and that they would add that English is an underrated a-level to take for Geology or other sciences as it typically enhances the ability of students to express themselves (concisely and with good grammar) in written reports / essays. We hope this helps :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending