The Student Room Group

What A levels would be ideal to study law at Oxbridge/top Russel group unis?

Reply 1
History, English, Maths, a science, economics or politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
History and English definitely!
Maths, History, English Lit, a language, a science.
Reply 5
Original post by MedAppli

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Londoner.
History and English definitely!

Specifically English Literature as its a faciliating A level.
But yes I'd recommend history and a science/maths maybe. Traditional subjects are your best bet, I personally wouldn't go for economics or politics
I would recommend taking at least one essay-based subject (eg English Literature, History). Essays and problem-based scenarios form the bulk of assessments for Law; I personally found that the experience gained from writing essays for A levels transferred really well to Law (in terms of how to structure an argument, how to write in a coherent and concise manner, time management), but your mileage may vary. For reference, I did Geography, English Literature, Maths, and Economics.

Beyond that, I'd say take subjects you have an interest in - makes studying more pleasant (and ergo, you are more likely to do well). That said, you might want to stick with at least 1-2 "traditional/ facilitating" subjects to play safe (see http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf).
Reply 7
Original post by MedAppli

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Big Blue Machine
Maths, History, English Lit, a language, a science.

Original post by mishieru07
I would recommend taking at least one essay-based subject (eg English Literature, History). Essays and problem-based scenarios form the bulk of assessments for Law; I personally found that the experience gained from writing essays for A levels transferred really well to Law (in terms of how to structure an argument, how to write in a coherent and concise manner, time management), but your mileage may vary. For reference, I did Geography, English Literature, Maths, and Economics.

Beyond that, I'd say take subjects you have an interest in - makes studying more pleasant (and ergo, you are more likely to do well). That said, you might want to stick with at least 1-2 "traditional/ facilitating" subjects to play safe (see http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf).

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. I was thinking of taking History, Geography, Government and politics and English Lit/French. How did you find English Literature? (Was it hard?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say maths, history, English and a modern/ancient language or economics
Original post by Ananya._c
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. I was thinking of taking History, Geography, Government and politics and English Lit/French. How did you find English Literature? (Was it hard?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

English isn't too hard! You read say 6 books. Buy the York, notes for undergrads too, if it helps and your stuck. Reading literary criticism helps you come up with your own ideas.

But, as you already have history, doing French may help show your linguistic skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Big Blue Machine
English isn't too hard! You read say 6 books. Buy the York, notes for undergrads too, if it helps and your stuck. Reading literary criticism helps you come up with your own ideas.

But, as you already have history, doing French may help show your linguistic skills.

Thank for the advice:-D I was thinking French or even a science may show some academic depth? (and English isnt my favourite subject:-/)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ananya._c
Thank for the advice:-D I was thinking French or even a science may show some academic depth? (and English isnt my favourite subject:-/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

A science will show good breadth and will make you stand out. Out of French and a science( By that I mean Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, not Psychology or applied science etc. ) do the one you'll get a better grade in. Remember that Chemistry and Physics become very mathematical at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest