The Student Room Group

would a masters in Law in Oxbridge more appealing to top law firms

Im in a predicament. My predicted grades are A*A*A but my offer is a non-russel group university for Law which I hope is not too crucial. If I successfully get the grades and make my CV great to apply for an Oxbridge masters in Law would that make up for the fact that I did not go to a russel group university for undergraduate when applying to top law firms?
Reply 1
I don't think you have too much to worry about regarding the offer from non-russell group. Lots of top firms don't look exclusively within russel groups as long as you can prove yourself really. A Masters at Oxbridge, for example the Bachelors of Civil Law (BCL), would be very very appealing no matter what Uni you did undergrad at, as most other applicants for firms would likely not have that. And since, atleast to my knowledge of the BCL, they are extremely intense with the workload so it demonstrates you're capabilities. But it is not the be-all and end-all since firms have come a long way with hiring practices. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by bartbart3
I don't think you have too much to worry about regarding the offer from non-russell group. Lots of top firms don't look exclusively within russel groups as long as you can prove yourself really. A Masters at Oxbridge, for example the Bachelors of Civil Law (BCL), would be very very appealing no matter what Uni you did undergrad at, as most other applicants for firms would likely not have that. And since, atleast to my knowledge of the BCL, they are extremely intense with the workload so it demonstrates you're capabilities. But it is not the be-all and end-all since firms have come a long way with hiring practices. Hope this helps.

This response is informative thank you
Original post by goldhnnie
Im in a predicament. My predicted grades are A*A*A but my offer is a non-russel group university for Law which I hope is not too crucial. If I successfully get the grades and make my CV great to apply for an Oxbridge masters in Law would that make up for the fact that I did not go to a russel group university for undergraduate when applying to top law firms?

Yes.

Also remember to have some work experiences.
Original post by goldhnnie

Hi @goldhnnie,

Most law firms/chambers now redact the information to see where individuals went to university so it should make no difference whatsoever. Also, if you were to get a first in a non Oxbridge or a 2:1 for Oxbridge, your 1st would rank higher anyway so it is more important that you do well than attend a certain institution.
Of course, not every firm will redact this info and even if they do, sometimes they can still tell. e.g. Oxford call their law degree LLB Jurisprudence (so everyone would know it was an Oxford degree). However, a career in law is developing and it is moving further away from seeing "one mould fits all" and there is fortunately much more diversity now within the profession from background, educational institutions and personal characteristics etc.

I hope this helps and good luck! 🙂

Sophie
Reply 5
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @goldhnnie,

Most law firms/chambers now redact the information to see where individuals went to university so it should make no difference whatsoever. Also, if you were to get a first in a non Oxbridge or a 2:1 for Oxbridge, your 1st would rank higher anyway so it is more important that you do well than attend a certain institution.
Of course, not every firm will redact this info and even if they do, sometimes they can still tell. e.g. Oxford call their law degree LLB Jurisprudence (so everyone would know it was an Oxford degree). However, a career in law is developing and it is moving further away from seeing "one mould fits all" and there is fortunately much more diversity now within the profession from background, educational institutions and personal characteristics etc.

I hope this helps and good luck! 🙂

Sophie

Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending