The Student Room Group

Law with business employability?

How does the employability of a law with business degree, such as Exeter's, compare to a standard law degree? I am interested in this course, and its lower grade requirements make it look like a promising insurance, however I am hopeful about looking into becoming a solicitor, so I was wondering if anyone knows how this type of course compares to a standard law degree in terms of gaining training contracts? Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by lawofducks123
How does the employability of a law with business degree, such as Exeter's, compare to a standard law degree? I am interested in this course, and its lower grade requirements make it look like a promising insurance, however I am hopeful about looking into becoming a solicitor, so I was wondering if anyone knows how this type of course compares to a standard law degree in terms of gaining training contracts? Any help would be appreciated!

I would go for a straight law degree in as good a university as you can get into.
Reply 2

Doing law with business wouldn't impact your employability when trying to gain a TC. As long as it is a qualifying law degree (LLB), employers won't regard it as lesser. You've still done all the mandatory modules required in a straight law degree. In terms of TC applications, even top law firms recruit from firstly, non-Russell Group universities, and secondly candidates who have not done a law degree at undergraduate level. Speaking as someone who has interacted with legal professionals in top firms, it's not about what your degree is in or where you do it, but how you use your time in university to demonstrate your interest in the specific area of law you want to practice in. While it is true that typically, top firms will recruit more graduates from top Russell Group universities such as Oxbridge and candidates who have studied straight law, it is not due to other degrees being unemployable. What they have put this down to is a lack of applicants from other areas. If there's 25 spaces for a TC and 75 people apply, if only 25 of them are from a non-Russell group or non-straight law background, of course those who fit into the straight law, Russell Group category are more likely to gain the TC, because there's simply more of them.

Wishing you the best in your decision and remember to pick a degree that you think you will thrive in and enjoy!
it is just as employable.

Hi @lawofducks123

You no longer need a qualifying law degree to do the solicitor training so it won't really matter in the long run (or at least not according to the new route to qualification). However, I would say that a qualifying law degree may make the transition to vocational training easier as it will give you a stronger base knowledge. Any law degree that starts with LLB rather than BA is a qualifying law degree 🙂

I hope this helps!

Sophie
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @lawofducks123
You no longer need a qualifying law degree to do the solicitor training so it won't really matter in the long run (or at least not according to the new route to qualification). However, I would say that a qualifying law degree may make the transition to vocational training easier as it will give you a stronger base knowledge. Any law degree that starts with LLB rather than BA is a qualifying law degree 🙂
I hope this helps!
Sophie

It is the content of a degree and not its name which makes it a qualifying law degree. For example, the Oxford BA in Jurisprudence is a qualifying law degree.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
It is the content of a degree and not its name which makes it a qualifying law degree. For example, the Oxford BA in Jurisprudence is a qualifying law degree.

Yep indeed. And the Cambridge BA in Law too.

Instead of the letters conferred by the degree, it is important to ensure the course contains all of the subjects required to be a qualifying law degree and that the candidate passes all of them, as that is what matters. I’ve in the past seen people graduate with “LLBs” in “Legal Studies” because they had not passed one of the qualifying subjects.
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @lawofducks123
I hope this helps!
Sophie

You need to check on SRA | Qualifying law degree providers | Solicitors Regulation Authority

Not all LLB are qualifying law degrees eg Global law at Edinburgh.

Whilst technically no law degree needed to sit SQE most firms are still wanting a law degree or conversion.

If doing a joint degree just ensure you choose the correct modules so it is a qualifying law degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending