The Student Room Group

The story of the man who graduated with a 2:2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMaster102
I totally agree with you, I was wrong to imply people suffering from OCD didn't have it as bad as me, and I was wrong to think that my problems were any worse than theirs, that is true.

There are factors other than mental health that played into my problems, I really can't go into detail, but what I meant to say was it wasn't a surmountable problem. I was wrong to assume it was worse than OCD or anything else because I don't have these problems.

My problems were related to psychosis essentially, and that's all I can say. I was wrong to say what I did and I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else

Okay man, thanks for that. Obviously suffering from problems related to psychosis is a horrible thing to have to go through so I'm glad you got better and your health improved. With regards to your situation my advice would be don't take the minimum requirements for your MA of choice as set in stone. Since you did very well in your third year you should be able to get some great references from your tutors. This counts for a lot, and I'm sure they will include in the reference that you had serious trouble in your second year but still came back and performed very well in your third which will speak volumes for your character. Also for my MA I had to write an essay as part of the application which was a great way for me to show my ability. Are there any courses you like where you can submit work as part of your application?
Good Luck.
Yeah but it sucks my once flawless academic record has a huge stain on it that will never go away and that I wasted 27k+ and that I got a 2:2 even without having the fun social side and that I was 1% away and that I went through a tough time and that's why, that I got a high 2:1 in my last year, and a first in my project/dissertation, there's many reasons I have to be pissed.

but self pity isn't the way forward, but man, it stings.

Surely you should have told your uni these stuff and just resit?

If you have valid reason for why you have done badly in your final year they let you resit.
Reply 182
Original post by IAmYourdog
cool story bro!

Any chance of a re-sit, if not at least try and get some job in computing.
And that was a time before we "had" to pay university fees.
Original post by jam277
Surely you should have told your uni these stuff and just resit?

If you have valid reason for why you have done badly in your final year they let you resit.

This is why my uni are so callous and so ****ty, I literally explained everything to them and they rejected my appeal. I then appealed my appeal and was rejected once more. So now I have a final chance to appeal by complaining to an independent organisation, which I will.

It's ridiculous because all I asked for was a remark, or to be considered for the boundary 2:1 mark, which I do fall into with my average of 58.9% (58%+ qualifies for a boundary 2:1 at the discretion of the examiners)

My appeal was rejected though, I have set to receive the emails stating why but it's probably because they couldn't be bothered with all the effort to re-classify me. That's how it seems because I see no good reason to not allow me to resit, remark, or even just be considered for the higher grade.

My grade in 2nd year was a third, and in my final year a high 2:1, that's a class jump of 2 whole classes. Seriously I cannot express enough how much I hate my university, I really can't
Original post by VETwannabe
I don't know if anyone has asked this already (too many pages to read through), but your problems in your second year sound like they were really serious. Could you not submit an extenuating circumstances form or something to get the uni to cut you some slack? Also, I can't believe that your uni was so harsh that they wouldn't even give you that 1%
Hang in there, when one door closes another opens (cliche I know, but I believe it) :hugs:

I did, and they rejected my appeal. It is disgusting really and they're a shameful institution, I have a case for complaint and will be complaining to an independent body about them.

I might even take them to court via the NUS and ask to have my fees reimbursed to be, because i feel like i've paid for a service, and opportunity to learn and achieve a certain grade, but have at every corner been denied this through no fault of my own because the university callously refuse to accept my case.

I've heard you can ask for your fees to be reimbursed in these cases, and I will be pursuing that route because the independent complaints body can't actually change my grade for me or pressure the university to do so. Even if they could it would make the university look bad so they will stick to their guns.

My case is going to focus on the flawed appeals process, the lack of compassion and understanding at my individual case and at the fact I believe I was given this 2:2 (as were many other computer science students I knew) because my department was shut down and we were not only subjected to harsher marking but I believe since the university isn't allowed to give everyone a 2:1, they decided to lump in as many 2:2s from our department, the one that no longer exists.

It's the only thing that makes any sense to be honest, a 1% difference means nothing, especially after what I went through and how amazingly well I did in my final year, it's a disgrace they didn't accept my appeal.
Original post by gloved_hand
Okay man, thanks for that. Obviously suffering from problems related to psychosis is a horrible thing to have to go through so I'm glad you got better and your health improved. With regards to your situation my advice would be don't take the minimum requirements for your MA of choice as set in stone. Since you did very well in your third year you should be able to get some great references from your tutors. This counts for a lot, and I'm sure they will include in the reference that you had serious trouble in your second year but still came back and performed very well in your third which will speak volumes for your character. Also for my MA I had to write an essay as part of the application which was a great way for me to show my ability. Are there any courses you like where you can submit work as part of your application?
Good Luck.

As far as I know, not really.

It seems all the universities in london that do the MSc Computer Science do not actually accept less than a 2:1 as a matter of strict set-in-stone guidelines.

Kings for instance emailed me telling me it would not be possible for a 2:2 student to be on their course regardless of their application, it would simply be automatically rejected.

this is the reality 2:2 students are having to face, and it will only get worse as more and more people go to university, grades inflate more and more, more people get 2:1s, the 2:2 is a worthless degree and we all know it. I hope I can "slip in" somewhere, but it's looking pretty bleak..
As far as I know, not really.

It seems all the universities in london that do the MSc Computer Science do not actually accept less than a 2:1 as a matter of strict set-in-stone guidelines.

Kings for instance emailed me telling me it would not be possible for a 2:2 student to be on their course regardless of their application, it would simply be automatically rejected.

this is the reality 2:2 students are having to face, and it will only get worse as more and more people go to university, grades inflate more and more, more people get 2:1s, the 2:2 is a worthless degree and we all know it. I hope I can "slip in" somewhere, but it's looking pretty bleak..

I forgot to say good luck for the future. You're obviously dedicated and you seem smart, so you must be able to do SOMETHING. I'm sure of it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by tim_123
All is not lost.

Although you sound like you may have been looking at pg stuff. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Try and find some smaller companies, startups etc.

Graduate schemes are not the be all and end all. Good luck

Totally ! He's right. There are so many examples of people in your branch who have made it without going on the "traditional" way.
Stop making excuses and just accept that you should have tried harder.

Blaming your uni for not giving you a classification you never reached? SMH
This is why my uni are so callous and so ****ty, I literally explained everything to them and they rejected my appeal. I then appealed my appeal and was rejected once more. So now I have a final chance to appeal by complaining to an independent organisation, which I will.

It's ridiculous because all I asked for was a remark, or to be considered for the boundary 2:1 mark, which I do fall into with my average of 58.9% (58%+ qualifies for a boundary 2:1 at the discretion of the examiners)

My appeal was rejected though, I have set to receive the emails stating why but it's probably because they couldn't be bothered with all the effort to re-classify me. That's how it seems because I see no good reason to not allow me to resit, remark, or even just be considered for the higher grade.

My grade in 2nd year was a third, and in my final year a high 2:1, that's a class jump of 2 whole classes. Seriously I cannot express enough how much I hate my university, I really can't

I would definitely take the complaint further if your final mark was 58.9% with a clear first in your final project/dissertation; but wait for the emails back from the uni regarding why your appeal was rejected. Good luck!

Also, as someone who missed all her predicated grades at A level and thought it was the end of the world then.... I can share your feelings on helplessness. 3 years on, I will never forget that results day but I know that feeling forever stays in the past (and I hope your disappointment does too). After all, "what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger". Keep smiling :smile:

ps

And as many people have found on your behalf, there are courses and jobs out there which accept a 2:2. To be honest, my line is always just to go for it and apply - especially if there are cover letters involved. I think I read that you (or was it someone else on the thread? then I apologise) have made and sold some software before. This counts as great 'work experience' which proves much more useful to employers than a piece of paper saying you can sit a few exams under pressure. Flag up in your cover letters your final project and add in a few lines explaining what didn't go so well in your second year. What's the worst that can happen if you apply to jobs/courses asking for any grade: 2:2, 2:1 etc?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you don't apply then of course you won't get the job or the course offer. Ok, some applications involve a fee so don't apply left, right and centre for all of that but a lot of applications are free to apply. Ask for feedback so you know why they've rejected you - and if it boils down to just 'you don't have the grade' then you know they've not read your application properly and simply looked straight at the final classification and binned any below their standard requirements. Some top companies are beginning to rethink their hiring process because they know about the 'grey areas' - a 2:1 typically ranges from 60.0%-69.9% but seriously, we all know there's a big difference between those who got a 2:1 at 61% and those who graduated at 68% let alone the grade boundary shenanigans. Not all is lost! Stay positive!!
Reply 191
Don't worry bro and stop thinking like that. People in Greece have a basic salary of 500-600 euro (300-400 pounds), now tell me more about your problems

I also have a degree in computer science with 2:2 and I am finishing my master on mobile applications (I am currently above 60 ->merit)

Stop looking for jobs in the top companies or more than 30k and be serious. There are hundred of jobs that require just 2:2. The problem is that you will start low maybe 17-20k but after few months or a year your degree will not count. Your experience willSo don't care about any job even if its ****, just have that experience in your CV

PS: Software developers can work on their own if they are good so it depends on you. Just have on mind the idiot who developed flappy bird(probably in few days) is now multimillionaire
can you tell me what's the meaning of 2:2:tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
can you do a mad thing like tell them you want to do your last year at another uni #surely you can do it
No sympathy. Not very nice to say your girlfriend didn't do any work for her degree.
I got a 2.2 in Electrical Engineering back in 1998. I got an average of 65.8% (70% would have given me a 2.1). To give a perspective, in my year, 2 got a first, 5 got a 2.1, 16 got a 2.2, and 1 got a third. I am based overseas in another EU country.
I can't say I didn't deserve a 2.2. My social life and interest in university student politics put paid to a 2.1, however it hurt.

5 years later, I was preparing for a MSc at Coventry Uni courtesy of a Scolarship. I had been accepted at UCL and Surrey for similar programs but the Scolarship terms meant that I had to accept what was on the table. The 1 year full time course was excellent and I obtained a Distinction. Yet, in spite of all, the thirst to study at the highest level remained there. For a number of years, I gave further formal study no consideration (except for industry certifications) and focused on my career until I had my head turned round in a conference last June.

In a months time or so, I will commence a part-time MSc at Oxford Uni. At the age of 40, I will test myself at the highest level. A D.Phil or Ph.D is not realistic for different reasons, however a second MSc run on a part-time basis is.

The bottom line is never to give up.
Original post by Phil Colon
TheMaster102

0 badges
follow
0 followers
1 4 days ago
For some reason TSR removed a thread I made on this topic... anyway

So I currently hold a Masters degree in Computer Science from Queen Mary.

I achieved great success and ended up receiving a distinction grade (73%).

The main reason I did this masters was because I got a very poor undergraduate grade, (a 2:2 from Reading in Computer Science).

Now some of you might be already scoffing at my Desmond and believe me, I am completely ashamed of the grade, however I am a very capable student. I got 3 A's at A-level and am very good at my subject (computer science) however in my second year of uni I suffered from a mental breakdown and it ruined my grades.

Despite getting a high 2:1 in my final year, my bad performance in second year dragged me down to the dreaded "Desmond" 2:2

I was 1% off, and so disappointed, but I vowed to rectify this stain on my record. I got into my masters and did great, heck I did fantastically. I got the top grades and masters is difficult.

I have finally proven myself academically, I have achieved what I am capable of and have a qualification that shows it. But yet I fear the stain of my 2:2 will still haunt me and ruin my future prospects.

I'm considering applying to the TOP uni's for my PhD, oxbridge and possibly imperial, I know I am capable and my masters shows my abilities, however I'm worried my desmond will drag me down.

it's so annoying that even with a masters I can't write off this awful grade, but what can you do.

What do you guys think.

I got a 2:2 B. Eng in Comp Sci and went on to do an MSc in Internet and Wireless Computing in the Electronics department which has allowed me to undertake a PhD in Comp Sci. They really only looked at the project scores which in my case were over 75%.

If you want it just go for it.
Original post by RachelJack
No sympathy. Not very nice to say your girlfriend didn't do any work for her degree.

lol she didn't though, comparatively, she knows this and says so herself. We lived together. It's a fact. I had to do orders of magnitude more work, just look at any computer science curriculum, try to get your head around computer architecture, operating systems theory, circuits, compilers, and any other hardcore science modules.

Computer Science is among one of the hardest degrees you can do, along with maths, law, physics and chemistry + any other science.

I am really sorry to break it to you, but some subjects are a lot more work than others.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello Mr Desmond,

I graduated with a 2:2 in 2009. Since then I've done an MA, just finished my MSc dissertation and am hoping to begin a PgCert. PhD is also an option for me.

I've worked in various jobs and enjoyed them, none of which required a degree. I'm interested in teaching in FE when my circumstances are more compatible with the course demands.

I've enjoyed a good working life amd academic life post 2:2. So can you.

Besides, I know of a number of people with top grades from top unis who are just as vulnerable to the recession and general difficulties as anyone else.

You grade really doesn't determine your future, you do. Life is more diverse and interesting than placing emphasis on the notion that a graduate job is the only way forward. I've never applied to a graduate job. Never seen anything that has interested me.

So yeah Mr Desmond. Keep the faith :smile:
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
Desmond got a Tutu

Absolutely outstanding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest