The Student Room Group

How to prepare for As level Bio maths physics and chemistry?

Hello everyone i took my IGCSEs in the summer and got 5As and an A* last week my As level classes started and i decided to pick bio maths physics and chemistry so i would appreciate some tips on how to get good grades in these subjects (just some additional info i am at a school in the middle east)
Reply 1
Original post by Saad69
Hello everyone i took my IGCSEs in the summer and got 5As and an A* last week my As level classes started and i decided to pick bio maths physics and chemistry so i would appreciate some tips on how to get good grades in these subjects (just some additional info i am at a school in the middle east)

Start making revision notes from the start, and do past papers :smile: If you get stuck on a particular topic don't hesitate to ask for help, because if you don't ask you will never know and it could make it harder for you to understand other related topics. Good Luck, they are hard subjects and require a lot of work :smile:
Original post by Saad69

I did those subjects :smile: they're good subjects but do require a lot of hard work! Make great notes in class so that you can refer to them later when you're revising. Go over what you've learnt at the end of the week and make sure you understand it - if you don't understand something ask for help straight away. Use all of the resources you have available to you - textbooks, revision guides, Youtube videos, whatever you can find. Your teachers can probably recommend the resources they find to be the best. Some bits are more interesting that others - focus on the boring bits in revision because if you don't, you won't learn them properly and you'll lose marks in exams. It's easier to learn the bits you're interested in! But the bottom line is, work hard if you want to do well.

(P.S. Do use all of the past papers, but don't start them too early or you'll run out months before the actual exams! There's no point in doing a past paper when you've only learnt a third of the information asked about in that exam paper).
Reply 3
Thank you @Emsta and @LeFailFish for your words of advice
Reply 4
Original post by Saad69
Thank you @Emsta and @LeFailFish for your words of advice

no problem :smile:
Reply 5
If you have time, spend a few minutes reading up about the topic you will be covering in class the next day. If you become familiar with the general idea and key words, then you will have more time to focus on the details and writing clear notes while you are in the lesson. I'm not sure if that would work for maths, but certainly helped me with the sciences!
Reply 6
i believe you have a different spec now , but I've just done my as levels for maths fm , triple science- i don't need my as notes anymore - if u want u can have them but beware your spec is different (there probe will be overlaps though)
Reply 7
make sure you know your stuff from triple/double science throughout the whole year
Original post by LeFailFish
I did those subjects :smile: they're good subjects but do require a lot of hard work! Make great notes in class so that you can refer to them later when you're revising. Go over what you've learnt at the end of the week and make sure you understand it - if you don't understand something ask for help straight away. Use all of the resources you have available to you - textbooks, revision guides, Youtube videos, whatever you can find. Your teachers can probably recommend the resources they find to be the best. Some bits are more interesting that others - focus on the boring bits in revision because if you don't, you won't learn them properly and you'll lose marks in exams. It's easier to learn the bits you're interested in! But the bottom line is, work hard if you want to do well.

(P.S. Do use all of the past papers, but don't start them too early or you'll run out months before the actual exams! There's no point in doing a past paper when you've only learnt a third of the information asked about in that exam paper).

out of physics and chem at AS and A2 which is easieast and hardest and why and how did u revise for each
also if you dont mind what did u get at a level and gcse for each and which is the biggest step up in terms of workload and difficulty
Original post by youreanutter
out of physics and chem at AS and A2 which is easieast and hardest and why and how did u revise for each
also if you dont mind what did u get at a level and gcse for each and which is the biggest step up in terms of workload and difficulty

Personally I found physics much harder but I know plenty of people who found chemistry harder - it depends which one interests you more and which you have the greater aptitude for. I revised for both by making loads of notes out of revision guides and doing revision posters, as well as every past exam paper I could. For chemistry I also used flashcards. Grades wise, I got an A* in both at GCSE and an A in both at A level (I was close to an A* in chemistry). Both are a pretty big step up from GCSE, I would say the step up is similar, but the step up from AS level to A2 level is greater for physics I found.

Quick Reply

Latest