The Student Room Group

Is there any point applying to University wi

Basically I've just received my AS Level grades at BCCC (B in English Language, C's in English Literature, Politics and Media) I'm pretty mad because I revised like crazy and got absolutely nowhere close to what I wanted.

BUT I've had my heart set on going to Edinburgh university to study English and Scottish Literature although the entry requirements are AAA-ABB.

I want to know if realistically, is there any point applying?
And
Is it possible to achieve those grades through my A2 year?

Thankyou :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChloWinfield
Basically I've just received my AS Level grades at BCCC (B in English Language, C's in English Literature, Politics and Media) I'm pretty mad because I revised like crazy and got absolutely nowhere close to what I wanted.

BUT I've had my heart set on going to Edinburgh university to study English and Scottish Literature although the entry requirements are AAA-ABB.

And

Doesn't look great. It's possible to get AAA from BCC but will obviously be difficult. How close were you to the next higher grade? Are you resitting any modules? What are your predictions?

Another issue is convincing Edinburgh that you can reach their typical offer of AAA and therefore get an offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Most colleges will only predict you a grade higher than your AS at the very most, so you'll be predicted an ABB in a best-case scenario. If you have enough wider reading and extra-curricular interests, there's a possibility you could get in. I'd say that you would definitely need an A in literature to be in with a chance, though, which I think is do-able but it depends on your own personal abilities
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Doesn't look great. It's possible to get AAA from BCC but will obviously be difficult. How close were you to the next higher grade? Are you resitting any modules? What are your predictions?

Another issue is convincing Edinburgh that you can reach their typical offer of AAA and therefore get an offer.

It was quite frustrating, 5 for an A in language, 2 for a B in Literature, 2 for a B in Media and 4 for a B in Politics, I;m going to drop Media but I'm definitely going to resit my English Literature and Language.

My predicted grades were BBBB.

Reply 4
Original post by chloetraynor
Most colleges will only predict you a grade higher than your AS at the very most, so you'll be predicted an ABB in a best-case scenario. If you have enough wider reading and extra-curricular interests, there's a possibility you could get in. I'd say that you would definitely need an A in literature to be in with a chance, though, which I think is do-able but it depends on your own personal abilities

Yeah it's quite frustrating knowing that I put so many months into my revision, maybe I'm not cut out for studying at Edinburgh. It was my Literature exam that brought me down with a D but a B in coursework pulled it up a little. I'll definitely have to resit that exam.

Original post by ChloWinfield

And

Have you ever thought about a gap year writing and doing work experience and jobs to make money for university?
Reply 6
Original post by asmuse123
Have you ever thought about a gap year writing and doing work experience and jobs to make money for university?

I was only really planning on going straight to university but if that could help I could maybe consider it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending