The Student Room Group

Need help

Hi!
I juat recieved my GCSE results, and they are not what i expected! I achieved 4A's, 2b's and 2c's. English language was a C!
I aspire to do Medicine at uni, and i am very passionate about it. The reason i got these grades was, because i damaged my kidney in year 9, and i missed half of that year and year 10.
My question is: what can i do right now, because i won't have a chance at getting into medical school? I am aware that i can go abroad, however i'd like to make it here!
Btw, my A-level subjects are:
Biology,
Chemistry,
Maths
Psychology.
You're responses would mean alot to me! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by basit282828
Hi!
I juat recieved my GCSE results, and they are not what i expected! I achieved 4A's, 2b's and 2c's. English language was a C!
I aspire to do Medicine at uni, and i am very passionate about it. The reason i got these grades was, because i damaged my kidney in year 9, and i missed half of that year and year 10.
My question is: what can i do right now, because i won't have a chance at getting into medical school? I am aware that i can go abroad, however i'd like to make it here!
Btw, my A-level subjects are:
Biology,
Chemistry,
Maths
Psychology.
You're responses would mean alot to me! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello.
First things first, was your exam board notified by your school about your medical problem? I'm guessing your school will probably include that in your reference when the time to make your UCAS application comes. Personally I'd advice you to resit those Bs and Cs (it'd make your life easier but if you feel like you are not gonna do well in your AS because of GCSE resits - do not do it). Make sure you don't apply to med schools that want 9 GCSEs at grade A/A* such as Oxbridge, Birmingham, Liverpool, Cardiff and so on. Researching entry requirements and emailing the medical schools about what happened and you didn't do as well as you could is also a must.
Getting into med school however is not just about GCSE. You need to focus on your AS (preferably try to get 4As to prove to med schools that what happened was only due to you being sick and does not represent you). Also start volunteering/work experience/extracurricular activities to make your application/personal statement stronger. Also practice a lot - and I mean a lot - for UKCAT/BMAT.
If you have your heart set on medicine - you will get to be a doctor as long as you don't give up and put enough work to it. Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mediic
Hello.
First things first, was your exam board notified by your school about your medical problem? I'm guessing your school will probably include that in your reference when the time to make your UCAS application comes. Personally I'd advice you to resit those Bs and Cs (it'd make your life easier but if you feel like you are not gonna do well in your AS because of GCSE resits - do not do it). Make sure you don't apply to med schools that want 9 GCSEs at grade A/A* such as Oxbridge, Birmingham, Liverpool, Cardiff and so on. Researching entry requirements and emailing the medical schools about what happened and you didn't do as well as you could is also a must.
Getting into med school however is not just about GCSE. You need to focus on your AS (preferably try to get 4As to prove to med schools that what happened was only due to you being sick and does not represent you). Also start volunteering/work experience/extracurricular activities to make your application/personal statement stronger. Also practice a lot - and I mean a lot - for UKCAT/BMAT.
If you have your heart set on medicine - you will get to be a doctor as long as you don't give up and put enough work to it. Good luck with everything :smile:

Thanks for your reply.
My school didn't notify the exam board. And, i've done alot of volunteering. I've done a year of volunteering in a hospital shop, 2 weeks shadowing placement with a doctor, 1 week shadowing placement with a dentist and i'll be going india for a 2 week medical placement.
I'd really like to repeat my GCSE's, but my college isn't letting me, and it's too expensive to do it privately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending