The Student Room Group

Psychology degree

I'm starting A2 soon and I'm hoping to apply for psychology in uni and hopefully become an educational psychologist in the future. How do you become an educational psychologist after getting your degree in psychology? Is psychology difficult in uni? Is it difficult to become an educational psychologist and is it competitive? Is the pay good? Also as a side note the uni I want to study at is Manchester and they have the GCSE requirements of Bs in both English and maths. I got both Cs in these subjects, do you think there's any point in applying for this uni or will they reject my application straight away?
Reply 1
Do your research, psychology post grad is really really competitive.
Original post by Tsrsarahh
I'm starting A2 soon and I'm hoping to apply for psychology in uni and hopefully become an educational psychologist in the future. How do you become an educational psychologist after getting your degree in psychology? Is psychology difficult in uni? Is it difficult to become an educational psychologist and is it competitive? Is the pay good? Also as a side note the uni I want to study at is Manchester and they have the GCSE requirements of Bs in both English and maths. I got both Cs in these subjects, do you think there's any point in applying for this uni or will they reject my application straight away?

Uni's hate psychology...... But it's worth a shot
Reply 3
Original post by _anon_banon
Uni's hate psychology...... But it's worth a shot

What do you mean??
What do you mean??

It's useless, that's all
Reply 5
Original post by _anon_banon
It's useless, that's all

Is it really that hard to get a job in psychology after you've finished your degree:frown:
Is it really that hard to get a job in psychology after you've finished your degree:frown:

Well It depends on what degree you get + experience

And It will be hard to get a job in psychology..

Don't be put off what's been said, I've just graduated with a psychology degree and many of those who I graduated with have found jobs in the area. Becoming an educational psychologist is quite difficult, but if that's what you want then go for it! I'll PM you a few slides on the subject if you like? Yeah the pay is good. I'm not sure if uni's would reject you based on the GCSE's, but I know are other universities around Manchester which would not reject you for having C's in those subjects. Good luck.
Reply 9
Thanks, what are you hoping to do now that you've graduated?
Reply 10
Original post by shezshez
Don't be put off what's been said, I've just graduated with a psychology degree and many of those who I graduated with have found jobs in the area. Becoming an educational psychologist is quite difficult, but if that's what you want then go for it! I'll PM you a few slides on the subject if you like? Yeah the pay is good. I'm not sure if uni's would reject you based on the GCSE's, but I know are other universities around Manchester which would not reject you for having C's in those subjects. Good luck.

Thanks, what are you hoping to do now that you've graduated? And please could you send me the slides :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, what are you hoping to do now that you've graduated? And please could you send me the slides :smile:

I'm about to start a masters in Forensic Psychology.
Original post by shezshez

can you send me the slides aswell...really need to actually see what psychology is like,planning to go open days but kind of up in the air about doing it

To be an ed psych you will need to complete your psychology degree (with a decent mark). Then you need to gain relevant experience, minimum of one year working with children, preferably in an education setting. However, the doctorate in ed psych is very competitive and most people will need to do more than just one year of work experience. It is not too hard to find a relevant post as long as you're happy to not be paid too much for a few years, posts like TA, support worker and stuff are often very happy just to have a graduate and they aren't super competitive as they are badly paid. Then you must do a 3 year doctorate in educational psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest