The Student Room Group

Computing

Is there a course in the field of IT and Computing that does not require too much practical work?
Original post by Anton01
Is there a course in the field of IT and Computing that does not require too much practical work?

what excatly do you mean by course as in btec, a-level, hnd ect.... also define practical work
Reply 2
Original post by Gaming_Hippy
what excatly do you mean by course as in btec, a-level, hnd ect.... also define practical work

Yes BTEC, by practical work I mean taking apart a computer system
Original post by Anton01
Yes BTEC, by practical work I mean taking apart a computer system

the btec course at least the ones i know off (level 2 and level 3) dont acturally require you to take apart a computer
Reply 4
Original post by Gaming_Hippy
the btec course at least the ones i know off (level 2 and level 3) dont acturally require you to take apart a computer

Not really taking apart a computer just like replacing missing parts
Original post by Anton01
Not really taking apart a computer just like replacing missing parts

if i recall correctly there was on pass assignment that required us to put a provided disk drive into a computer which is literally slotting something in and the plugging it in but other then that there was nothing
As far as I'm aware, A-levels in computing do not have a practical element in the vein you're talking about.
Reply 7
In terms of practical work in the BTEC it is very useful, and to clarify you wont be spending every lesson taking computers apart, that is something you have to do once in a unit called Computer Systems and it only makes up 1 out of 11 criteria for this unit, you will also have another 17 units of similar size where you will do a COMPLETE range of things including programming, software design, maths, computer architecture, operating systems, networks, databases, systems analysis, information systems, and a lot more depending on the modules chosen by the college

if you want a course with little practical work take A level Computing, however this isn't as good as the BTEC in my opinion, for example 2 areas where the practical and vocational element of the BTEC is really beneficial is in Programming and Networking, in A level you will just learn the theory whereas in BTEC you will also learn the theory and have do assignments to demonstrate this. with Networking we had 2 theory assignments and then we also had to put that theory into practical and design and set up a network using the colleges old hardware, we got hands on experience in server configuration and using Windows Server OS, we also set up a multi-player network game running across the network as a demo for an open evening. in Programming, A level is good in the sense that there is a lot of time dedicated to teaching whereas sin BTEC we were taught the principals and then for our assignments we were put into the scenario of working as Software Engineers, and had to develop a piece of software for a fictitious company, we had to follow a set development methodology and document the life cycle as it would have to be in industry, we had to do requirements analysis, model those requirements and produce good quality UML documentation for the software as well as extensive testing, user analysis and around a 4000 word evaluation, this practical experience in the BTEC is very useful if you want a career in the IT industry and has also prepared me wel for university, and i would highly recommend it, however if you want to follow a more theoretical path it would be worth taking A levels in Computing, Maths and one other, however the BTEC does also still have a substantial amount of theory involved with it

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by yt7777
In terms of practical work in the BTEC it is very useful, and to clarify you wont be spending every lesson taking computers apart, that is something you have to do once in a unit called Computer Systems and it only makes up 1 out of 11 criteria for this unit, you will also have another 17 units of similar size where you will do a COMPLETE range of things including programming, software design, maths, computer architecture, operating systems, networks, databases, systems analysis, information systems, and a lot more depending on the modules chosen by the college

if you want a course with little practical work take A level Computing, however this isn't as good as the BTEC in my opinion, for example 2 areas where the practical and vocational element of the BTEC is really beneficial is in Programming and Networking, in A level you will just learn the theory whereas in BTEC you will also learn the theory and have do assignments to demonstrate this. with Networking we had 2 theory assignments and then we also had to put that theory into practical and design and set up a network using the colleges old hardware, we got hands on experience in server configuration and using Windows Server OS, we also set up a multi-player network game running across the network as a demo for an open evening. in Programming, A level is good in the sense that there is a lot of time dedicated to teaching whereas sin BTEC we were taught the principals and then for our assignments we were put into the scenario of working as Software Engineers, and had to develop a piece of software for a fictitious company, we had to follow a set development methodology and document the life cycle as it would have to be in industry, we had to do requirements analysis, model those requirements and produce good quality UML documentation for the software as well as extensive testing, user analysis and around a 4000 word evaluation, this practical experience in the BTEC is very useful if you want a career in the IT industry and has also prepared me wel for university, and i would highly recommend it, however if you want to follow a more theoretical path it would be worth taking A levels in Computing, Maths and one other, however the BTEC does also still have a substantial amount of theory involved with it

Really good summary of the courses, I did/doing A level computing and there is NO practical work, at least for AQA. It's quite programming and theory orientated which I love as I'm much more into the science aspect.
Reply 9
Original post by lenfam
Really good summary of the courses, I did/doing A level computing and there is NO practical work, at least for AQA. It's quite programming and theory orientated which I love as I'm much more into the science aspect.

Thanks! :smile: Yeah i think they did AQA at my old college too, I am the same, theory and programming all the way! :smile: i am a second year Computer Science student at university and I think a good grounding in programming and computing theory is soo beneficial if you want to study the subject further as it teaches srudents how to think with a computational approach, however the vocational aspect of applying those theoretical concepts in a practical manner is also very important, I finished a Computing BTEC a year ago and the course modules were chosen by the college to map the A level Computing syllabus and there was a lot of programming and theory content as well as the vocational outlet of the subject as I previously mentioned
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777

Thanks for this
Reply 11
Original post by Anton01
Thanks for this

No worries, any other queries I would be happy to help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending