The Student Room Group

Help? Having serious doubts about going to uni... should I take a second gap year?

I've recently gotten into university by clearing... it wasn't the university that I was hoping to go to and I never imagined myself going to that uni, but since I've already taken a gap year, i took some time to think about it and thought it wouldn't be so bad going to this university...

After finally settling my mind with the prospect of going to this university, they've now informed me that they have no accommodation left on campus and that I'll have to go look for accommodation in the private sector...

They've allocated me a off campus accommodation with a business called "student castle". I thought it would be alright, it's still a student accommodation and even though it's not on campus (which is not ideal), I can make it work as it will all be filled with students in my university...

Then I realized that this off campus student accommodation is shared with a different university (more students from the other university than my university)... Student castle also informed me that all the flats are gone and that they can only offer me a whole studio to myself... I'm already worried about being a recluse as accommodation is off campus, but giving me a whole studio to my self is a massive strain on my finances (way more expensive and I never wanted my own studio).. I also won't have a shared kitchen or anything and I feel like I'm getting more and more isolated from the university..
still somehow managed to convince myself that it's okay, I can still make it work....

I then receive a email from student finance, updating me the new amount of money they're going to give me for my maintenance loan since I've changed university... They're giving me less money.. even though the maintenance loan covers the rent, this leaves me with £400 for food for the whole year...
The let for the accommodation is 44 weeks, leaving me with around £9 per week spending money on food... which is no way near enough to survive...

I also found out that the accommodation let length at student castle does not match the term dates of my university... this private accommodation is making me move in one week early before freshers and leave one and a half month after the term date ends which is why it is so expensive... I ask them to shorten the let length to the same length as normal campus accommodation length, but they refuse as they are not affiliated with the uni

I've called the university, begging them for a accommodation slot in campus, but they dont have anything left... They recommend that I rent out a cheaper flat with a private land lord somewhere... which is not what I want as a first year student... I already feel isolated from the uni as it is... even though its not my first choice uni, I wanted to at least get the full university life experience... I'm only going to go to university once and I feel like I should do it right, but I've already taken a gap year..... :frown:

anyone have any advice? has anyone else been in this situation? sorry about the long post....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bustamove
I've recently gotten into university by clearing... it wasn't the university that I was hoping to go to and I never imagined myself going to that uni, but since I've already taken a gap year, i took some time to think about it and thought it wouldn't be so bad going to this university...

After finally settling my mind with the prospect of going to this university, they've now informed me that they have no accommodation left on campus and that I'll have to go look for accommodation in the private sector...

They've allocated me a off campus accommodation with a business called "student castle". I thought it would be alright, it's still a student accommodation and even though it's not on campus (which is not ideal), I can make it work as it will all be filled with students in my university...

Then I realized that this off campus student accommodation is shared with a different university (more students from the other university than my university)... Student castle also informed me that all the flats are gone and that they can only offer me a whole studio to myself... I'm already worried about being a recluse as accommodation is off campus, but giving me a whole studio to my self is a massive strain on my finances (way more expensive and I never wanted my own studio).. I also won't have a shared kitchen or anything and I feel like I'm getting more and more isolated from the university..
still somehow managed to convince myself that it's okay, I can still make it work....

I then receive a email from student finance, updating me the new amount of money they're going to give me for my maintenance loan since I've changed university... They're giving me less money.. even though the maintenance loan covers the rent, this leaves me with £400 for food for the whole year...
The let for the accommodation is 44 weeks, leaving me with around £9 per week spending money on food... which is no way near enough to survive...

I also found out that the accommodation let length at student castle does not match the term dates of my university... this private accommodation is making me move in one week early before freshers and leave one and a half month after the term date ends which is why it is so expensive... I ask them to shorten the let length to the same length as normal campus accommodation length, but they refuse as they are not affiliated with the uni

I've called the university, begging them for a accommodation slot in campus, but they dont have anything left... They recommend that I rent out a cheaper flat with a private land lord somewhere... which is not what I want as a first year student... I already feel isolated from the uni as it is... even though its not my first choice uni, I wanted to at least get the full university life experience... I'm only going to go to university once and I feel like I should do it right, but I've already taken a gap year..... :frown:

anyone have any advice? has anyone else been in this situation? sorry about the long post....

It may be worth hassling the uni and seeing if you can get a place on campus- someone probably will drop out over the next few days.

Otherwise, I'd go with a private landlord and just get to know people on your course and in societies. I didn't really make massively great friends with any of the people I lived with, but made great friends through societies. While some people do make great friends with the people they live with, the people you live with are ultimately random. I much preferred making friends with people who had common interests with me and that I chose, rather than being allocated with.

Hey, it's okay. I was also hoping to get the full university experience but I found myself being shoved to private accommodation. I'm incredibly frightened by it because the layout of the accommodation creates a very unsociable atmosphere.

You could try looking else where for student accommodation by yourself.

For food you could consider buying whole dried foods in bulk. e.g. A large commercial 15kg bag of rice for ~£30 should last you up to 3-4 months. Then you just need some sides with the rice and that should be more than enough to keep you alive :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lllllllllll
Hey, it's okay. I was also hoping to get the full university experience but I found myself being shoved to private accommodation. I'm incredibly frightened by it because the layout of the accommodation creates a very unsociable atmosphere.

You could try looking else where for student accommodation by yourself.

For food you could consider buying whole dried foods in bulk. e.g. A large commercial 15kg bag of rice for ~£30 should last you up to 3-4 months. Then you just need some sides with the rice and that should be more than enough to keep you alive :smile:

Have you already experienced this? or are you in the same situation as me at the moment?

and yea I guess... I'm just afraid of being isolated and being a recluse at university...

I'll also have to sort out transportation... feel like I'm going to miss out, especially events at night as I'll probably have to rush home if there is no night bus or anything to get me back...

I'm seriously contemplating taking a second gap year... retake a few exams and get into the uni I want...
Have you already experienced this? or are you in the same situation as me at the moment?

and yea I guess... I'm just afraid of being isolated and being a recluse at university...

I'll also have to sort out transportation... feel like I'm going to miss out, especially events at night as I'll probably have to rush home if there is no night bus or anything to get me back...

I'm seriously contemplating taking a second gap year... retake a few exams and get into the uni I want...

I haven't experienced this, I'm in the same situation as you.

I'm virtually bankrupt. I spent the gap year setting up a business to finance my university course for 3 years but I was forced to shut it down yesterday just when it was finally picking up momentum (after a year!). However at the moment I have almost no cash flow in my accounts at all, I lost way too much money investing at the start and barely made enough. :frown:

The gap year has made me very isolated the student accommodation is very "unsociable" which worries me as I was hoping to make as many friends as possible, largely through student halls. (Still not a major concern :smile: )

Perhaps you could consider relocating closer to where everyone else is. I know there are plenty of places available for student accommodation. A lot of investors in student accommodation (more recently) are overseas. They buy up the accommodation but their networks in the UK are very poor compared to domestic student accommodation Groups such as UNITE or Student Castle. If you look carefully enough you can find student accommodation available that's closer to your university.

If you want to take extra exams over a gap year you may want to consider going back into sixth-form or college. I was really shocked to miss the A* in Further Maths that I took over my gap year. I also knew my mathematical ability was at its peak as well because I did well on STEP which is significantly harder than Further Maths.

The exams officer at my school informed me that this is quite the case even among people with strong academic backgrounds. The vast majority of alumni at my old school who choose to self-study over gap years do not improve their grades because they are not in an educational environment (according to her experience). She receives about 4-5 students every year who go back to self-study A Levels on their gap year and she's been at my school for over 6 years so I would trust her advice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest