The Student Room Group

Should I take the gap year/defer?

I’m due to start university this September (all depending on how results day goes!!), and I am certain that I have picked the right course at the right university. In theory it all sounds good but the problem is I’m not really sure I want to go. I think I’d really enjoy the course, but I think half the reason I decided to go to uni was because I felt it was the “right” path, and because it’s what everyone I know is doing.

I think when I actually get there, I will be ok, but to be honest I’m not completely sure I’m actually ready to go to uni this year. I have been considering the idea of deferring for a while, and I’ve also been looking at courses in the two local technical colleges (which offer BTECs and also some foundation/undergraduate degrees), but I’m going to study languages at uni so the more scientific/ICT-based subjects there don’t really suit me.

My plan if I did end up deferring would be to work for the year, and I’ve been training as a voluntary outdoor pursuits instructor so I’d spend time doing that and getting some qualifications. To be honest, although I think I’ll enjoy my course at uni, I’m not too certain what my career plans would be afterwards so I’d like to take some time to make sure I’ve got a plan and to think about other options.

I just don’t want to waste time and money if I think I’ll be unsettled or unhappy at university. I’m not the type of person to become complacent or unmotivated so I’m 100% certain that I’d return to education after the year was over, and I like the idea of having a place if I defer. I’m not really bothered about starting university and being a little bit older. The only thing that puts me off (but not majorly) is that I might feel like I was “wasting” a year by not being at university, and the fact that I’d maybe feel a bit behind or lonely being away from my friends. I also have a friend who has applied for the exact same course that I have, so if I started in September we’d have each other to help with finding our feet!

My current plan is to take until results day to think about whether I want to take a gap year or not, and then make my decision based on how that goes. If I get into my insurance choice but not my firm, I will definitely take a gap year and reapply because I have my heart set on my firm.

If anyone could offer any advice if they’ve been in my situation, or share their experience of deferring/taking a gap year I’d really really appreciate it!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gnituocs
I’m due to start university this September (all depending on how results day goes!!), and I am certain that I have picked the right course at the right university. In theory it all sounds good but the problem is I’m not really sure I want to go. I think I’d really enjoy the course, but I think half the reason I decided to go to uni was because I felt it was the “right” path, and because it’s what everyone I know is doing.

I think when I actually get there, I will be ok, but to be honest I’m not completely sure I’m actually ready to go to uni this year. I have been considering the idea of deferring for a while, and I’ve also been looking at courses in the two local technical colleges (which offer BTECs and also some foundation/undergraduate degrees), but I’m going to study languages at uni so the more scientific/ICT-based subjects there don’t really suit me.

My plan if I did end up deferring would be to work for the year, and I’ve been training as a voluntary outdoor pursuits instructor so I’d spend time doing that and getting some qualifications. To be honest, although I think I’ll enjoy my course at uni, I’m not too certain what my career plans would be afterwards so I’d like to take some time to make sure I’ve got a plan and to think about other options.

I just don’t want to waste time and money if I think I’ll be unsettled or unhappy at university. I’m not the type of person to become complacent or unmotivated so I’m 100% certain that I’d return to education after the year was over, and I like the idea of having a place if I defer. I’m not really bothered about starting university and being a little bit older. The only thing that puts me off (but not majorly) is that I might feel like I was “wasting” a year by not being at university, and the fact that I’d maybe feel a bit behind or lonely being away from my friends. I also have a friend who has applied for the exact same course that I have, so if I started in September we’d have each other to help with finding our feet!

My current plan is to take until results day to think about whether I want to take a gap year or not, and then make my decision based on how that goes. If I get into my insurance choice but not my firm, I will definitely take a gap year and reapply because I have my heart set on my firm.

If anyone could offer any advice if they’ve been in my situation, or share their experience of deferring/taking a gap year I’d really really appreciate it!

i did my a levels last summer and i always knew i was going to take a gap year so i applied for a deferred place, for this september. i’ve been working for 8 months since results, because similarly to you i am not sure if my careers plans after my degree are what i want to do most. i’ve been travelling since i stopped working which has been amazing but i don’t think you need to travel for your year to be ‘worthwhile’ at all. taking this year has given me the confidence that if i didn’t enjoy my uni course when it started/when i finished i was excited about any of those job prospects i could do something else (because i had all this experience from this year!). also working means if you do go to uni you will likely have a fair bit of money which means you probably won’t have to stress about finances as much as some other people :smile:
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Original post by gnituocs

Tbh only you can tell.I took twi gap years for similar reasons to you I worked several different jobs and by the time I went to uni I was much more sure of what I wanted to do and just as importantly not want to do career wise.I also was able to enjoy studying again after having a long break after A levels.
Reply 4
I think it's important to spend a bit of time asking yourself if these are genuine doubts about whether university is the right path for you, or whether this is just the natural anxiety you have about making a big lifestyle change. Anxiety can have a way of deflecting from the real concern to try and convince you not to do something - so, "I'm worried about moving away from home and meeting a new group of people" becomes "I'm not sure university is the right path for me".

I say this as someone who was exactly in your position, and I chose to defer after results day. I spent a year working and then took up the place at university, though not without a second wobble nearer the time. My reasoning for deferring was exactly the same as yours - concerns about money and debt, not sure if the course would actually lead me anywhere in life, etc etc. But looking back I was actually just highly anxious about moving away from home, and I was inventing sensible-sounding reasons not to go.

Of course, you may be genuinely unsure if it's right for you, and not in the least bit anxious about moving away. If that's the case, then deferring is a great way to keep your options open, gain work experience, see what kind of career you can have without a degree, and see how much you miss studying your subject. You may find that, if you do go to university later on, your gap year makes you a more attractive job applicant once you graduate because you have a year's more work experience than your friends.

So I really would just take the next week or so to think hard about where you want to go in life, and where this disinclination towards university is really coming from. There is absolutely nothing wrong with deferring, or even outright rejecting your offer, as long as you're doing it for the right reasons and with the right motivation to make it work.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest