The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Applying with resits.

Hey I want to re-apply to UCL for history after missing my grades, I had an A*AA offer and got BBC. I'm resitting all of them, but do you think that UCL would even give me an offer the second time round? I want to apply to Kings and QMUL as well, they ask for lower offers, but UCL is my dream university.
Original post by ashstyl
Hey I want to re-apply to UCL for history after missing my grades, I had an A*AA offer and got BBC. I'm resitting all of them, but do you think that UCL would even give me an offer the second time round? I want to apply to Kings and QMUL as well, they ask for lower offers, but UCL is my dream university.

I would talk to UCL informally. I doubt they will offer on BBC, but you could take a further gap and apply the following year with known grades. They might increase the offer to A*A*A. You should check each uni for their resit policy. Just google it.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Maybe if you have good predicted grades. My friend was in the same position as you - except he didn't apply to UCL the first time (he got BCD at A2) and got predicted A*AA whilst on a gap year (as the BCD was a bit of a shock). And is now off to UCL!
Reply 3
Yes.

Exact same situation as me.

Got BBC in Econ,Maths,Fmaths

Took a gap year to resit, predicted A*AA and was given the offer for Econ and Stats (AAA)

Gonna be enrolling in a couple of days.
Original post by notespad
Maybe if you have good predicted grades. My friend was in the same position as you - except he didn't apply to UCL the first time (he got BCD at A2) and got predicted A*AA whilst on a gap year (as the BCD was a bit of a shock). And is now off to UCL!

Hey, I'm in the same position as your friend. Reckon this year I'm probably going to get BCD too. I have an unconditional for lancaster but now I think I want to go to UCL but I know my a levels are going to be tragic this year. I have extenuating reasons as to why, but they're basically going from A*AA predicted to BCD or BCC if I'm lucky.
I want to take a gap year to resit and I'm so determined to do well I reckon I'll get the A*AA and will even pick up another a level to make my application stronger to apply for UCL.
What course did your friend apply too?
I want to apply for natural sciences.
Original post by NatSciences
Hey, I'm in the same position as your friend. Reckon this year I'm probably going to get BCD too. I have an unconditional for lancaster but now I think I want to go to UCL but I know my a levels are going to be tragic this year. I have extenuating reasons as to why, but they're basically going from A*AA predicted to BCD or BCC if I'm lucky.
I want to take a gap year to resit and I'm so determined to do well I reckon I'll get the A*AA and will even pick up another a level to make my application stronger to apply for UCL.

Pharmacy (MPharm). Apply! What do you have to lose??

No way?!!! Thats so reassuring to hear. Thank you so much. Are you in UCL yourself?

just wondering did your friend have any extenuated circumstances or do they allow resitters in general.
Original post by hascho9
Yes.

Exact same situation as me.

Got BBC in Econ,Maths,Fmaths

Took a gap year to resit, predicted A*AA and was given the offer for Econ and Stats (AAA)

Gonna be enrolling in a couple of days.

Were you already an offer holder before you took your gap year resit? Or did you get BCC then decide to resit and apply for UCL?
Reply 9

hey, if it helps I reapplied to ucl with an A*A A prediction for history and they gave me an aaa offer. try your best in these exams as i had exactly the same mindset at you and i'm telling you i didnt revise as much as i needed to and im in only a slightly better off position than i was in last year. if you can maybe get an a in at least one of the exams then its great because resitting 2 a levels is easier and i wouldnt bother going for a fourth and you won't really need it tbh. ucl should take you as long as you have a good prediction. :smile:
Original post by ashstyl
hey, if it helps I reapplied to ucl with an A*A A prediction for history and they gave me an aaa offer. try your best in these exams as i had exactly the same mindset at you and i'm telling you i didnt revise as much as i needed to and im in only a slightly better off position than i was in last year. if you can maybe get an a in at least one of the exams then its great because resitting 2 a levels is easier and i wouldnt bother going for a fourth and you won't really need it tbh. ucl should take you as long as you have a good prediction. :smile:

How does it feel taking a gap year to do exams? I'm worried I'm going to be super depressed about it.
Reply 11
How does it feel taking a gap year to do exams? I'm worried I'm going to be super depressed about it.

Honestly I’m so so glad I took a gap year but I didn’t do any travelling because resitting for three a levels is a lot. Ngl tho ofc you’ll feel a bit low because everyone else is at uni but after a while it’s acc pretty nice and you get used to it. Plus it’s nice having that kind of freedom to do stuff you couldn’t do because of school. Although if u do take a gap year plan it out properly and if your working for all three then start studying from the start because it’s really hard to stay motivated to study and so you want to leave yourself as much time as you can to do that. I just had two of my exams and I’m so angry because I worked my ass off for them but I don’t think they went a lot better than last year and it’s been really hard to walk back into the exam halls without remembering how hard it was last year. Like I guess the only way you can avoid that is by making sure you’re super prepared
Original post by ashstyl
Honestly I’m so so glad I took a gap year but I didn’t do any travelling because resitting for three a levels is a lot. Ngl tho ofc you’ll feel a bit low because everyone else is at uni but after a while it’s acc pretty nice and you get used to it. Plus it’s nice having that kind of freedom to do stuff you couldn’t do because of school. Although if u do take a gap year plan it out properly and if your working for all three then start studying from the start because it’s really hard to stay motivated to study and so you want to leave yourself as much time as you can to do that. I just had two of my exams and I’m so angry because I worked my ass off for them but I don’t think they went a lot better than last year and it’s been really hard to walk back into the exam halls without remembering how hard it was last year. Like I guess the only way you can avoid that is by making sure you’re super prepared

Yeah I'm just super pissed off for not trying hard this year honestly though I could leave it last minute like I did in AS but clearly not.
I got the uncondtional and basically gave up revising and now I realised I want UCL.
At least I have another year to figure out what I want.
Reply 13
Yeah I'm just super pissed off for not trying hard this year honestly though I could leave it last minute like I did in AS but clearly not.
I got the uncondtional and basically gave up revising and now I realised I want UCL.
At least I have another year to figure out what I want.

Honestly, a gap year is the best thing to do then. Like in the grand scheme it’s just a year out and if you think you can work for better grades (you always can) then wanting something better isn’t wrong and you should give it a shot. Just try and get your application as early as possible and get high predictions, maybe an a* if you can. Idk if Ucl will give you an a* offer but if they do you can still manage to get one in a year I’d hou work consistently. Good luck for ur exams
just wondering did your friend have any extenuated circumstances or do they allow resitters in general.

no extenuating circumstances, i'm assuming they allow resitters - he just gave it a go and applied!
no extenuating circumstances, i'm assuming they allow resitters - he just gave it a go and applied!

I emailed and they said they would still consider me and my previous grades wouldn't affect my application just sounded too good to be true, but apparently not!
I emailed and they said they would still consider me and my previous grades wouldn't affect my application just sounded too good to be true, but apparently not!

Yes, that's what my friend said. He was even too scared to email them haha
Maybe if you have good predicted grades. My friend was in tHhe same position as you - except he didn't apply to UCL the first time (he got BCD at A2) and got predicted A*AA whilst on a gap year (as the BCD was a bit of a shock). And is now off to UCL!

Hey, I was wondering what course your friend enrolled on at UCL?
Reply 18
Original post by ashstyl

late as hell but im in the same position, did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending