The Student Room Group

Which FMATHS modules should I do and WHY??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dalek1099
I wouldn't advise FP3 its a very tough module miles harder than FP2 one of my friends who is the best person I know at my College at Maths(other than me of course) got a C in it and an A* in Further Maths through M2,M3 and FP2.

I would have to advise D1 in that it is the easiest of the modules you are considering S3 is quite difficult, have a browse through the last exam thread and you will find most people found it very difficult even if you do understand it it can be hard to get the written parts correct.

Are the modules in the poll the only ones you can take?If so I would heavily recommend the D1 and D2.

Well these are the ones majority people do! I dont really like mechanics even though i did quite well this year. Tbh I just hate physics xD

What modules would you recommended?
Original post by Cpj16
It's not the cost of teaching, you have to put everyones name down for an extra module exam which costs £25 per person and there are 53 people in my year doing further maths

They are still taking 12 modules so it is no more expensive ...

If there are 53 students then they should be more flexible.
Reply 22
Original post by Muttley79

tbh my school is pretty weird. I was told I could only do 6 modules in yr 12 , otherwise I would have to pay extra if I wanted to do more as they can't afford everyone doing 15/18 modules
Original post by Cpj16
tbh my school is pretty weird. I was told I could only do 6 modules in yr 12 , otherwise I would have to pay extra if I wanted to do more as they can't afford everyone doing 15/18 modules

You're not asking to do 15 modules - you want to do 12 of your choice ie no additional cost except maybe a textbook which can be reused.

I'd seriously consider just doing AS F Maths if you have such a restricted choice.
Reply 24
You're not asking to do 15 modules - you want to do 12 of your choice ie no additional cost except maybe a textbook which can be reused.

I'd seriously consider just doing AS F Maths if you have such a restricted choice.

What modules do you suggest? just Fp2 and S2
thanks
Reply 25

Double-edged sword unfortunately - more students means more money has to be spent.

In terms of difficulty your best bet is D1 and D2, with S3, FP3 and M3 being your next three. It's up to you to decide which ones you find more interesting though.

D1 is a lot of algorithm recalling, D2 is less memorisation but longer processes (with a lot of tables). It's a lot of calculation and numerical work in D2, less so in D1.

If S1 was data + a little probability and S2 was probability and a little hypothesis testing then the majority of S3 is hypothesis testing. Spearman's Rank, Central Limit and Chi Square make up over 75% of the questions.

M3 is slightly harder. The step up from M1 to M2 is pretty much 'do everything twice' or 'do it for two dimensions', whilst the step up from M2 to M3 is larger. This is mainly due to the large amount of content in statics, circular motion and elastics, but especially in dynamics where you have to do SHM, SHM with elastics, gravitation and variable force/impulse/kinetic energy in one chapter.

FP3 is probably what most students would consider the hardest I've mentioned; although people do occasionally find it easier than M3. FP3 conics is what I personally found the hardest, since I think the difficulty of vectors is somewhat overstated. Again, the sheer content is what makes it difficult - a lot of the matrix chapter doesn't even turn up in exams. Integration is a fairly bulky chapter as well. Thankfully, the differentiation and hyperbolics are straightforward.

If I was in your position, I'd do D1 and D2/S3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cpj16
What modules do you suggest? just Fp2 and S2
thanks

Personally I'd do D1 and S2 or M2. There is no need to do FP2 for AS F Maths.

If the school doesn't teach D1 then S2 and M2 unless you hate mechanics.
D1 and D2, I haven't done D2 but my teacher tells me it is much the same but personally I found D1 easy to grasp and it took me a lot less time to fully understand than fp1 etc. The past papers are often also very similar with the same things appearing year on year. :smile: Depends on how much you like pure maths though as if this is what you love go with the other option as D1 contains none of this!
Reply 28
Original post by Cpj16
why would you say time consuming, I just asked my friend he did it in 1 week

Because the questions take a long time to answer - it's easy but long and tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's crazy - it's a school so why don't they teach it! I'm a maths teacher and we offer a totally free choice of modules ... if we can do it then so can any school.

D1 is a good module and I'd suggest it - most people think FP3 is harder than FP2 - do you need full F Maths for medicine?

My school only does C1-4, FP1-3, S1-2 and M1-3 for those who do both Maths and FM, and those who don't, don't get any choice in the modules, all having to do M1 and S1.
Original post by Jordan\
My school only does C1-4, FP1-3, S1-2 and M1-3 for those who do both Maths and FM, and those who don't, don't get any choice in the modules, all having to do M1 and S1.

Well M1 and S1 are sensible for everyone so no problem with that.

Decision maths is an important area of maths for anyone going into Computing or Maths - why don't they offer it?
That's crazy - it's a school so why don't they teach it! I'm a maths teacher and we offer a totally free choice of modules ... if we can do it then so can any school.

D1 is a good module and I'd suggest it - most people think FP3 is harder than FP2 - do you need full F Maths for medicine?

My school never taught further maths!
Teaching myself out of interest now

Posted from TSR Mobile
i personally took d1 andfp3. well d1 is much more easier than fp3 but I enjoyed the later more. And eventually scored higher on fp3. And besides fp3 is more useful than d1(self studied both)
Original post by kendellex
My school never taught further maths!
Teaching myself out of interest now

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school principle never knew there ws a subject called furthermaths
Original post by Duke Glacia
My school principle never knew there ws a subject called furthermaths

Okay that is bad 😂
Further maths would have made life so much easier.
Surprised it wasn't offered

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I'd pick S3 and D1 if I were you.
Well M1 and S1 are sensible for everyone so no problem with that.

Decision maths is an important area of maths for anyone going into Computing or Maths - why don't they offer it?

The thing is with my school we are giving no choice whatsoever. They try to make it so that as little people take FM as possible so they make it a requirement that you have A/A* in GCSE Further Maths to do it. Hence the reason I have to do it on my own.

Quick Reply

Latest