The Student Room Group

HELP Picking 4 alevels - further maths

I have to choose my alevels, tomorrow, and I don't know whether to do 3 or 4.
I want to do English Lit, Biology & Maths and the 4th would be Further maths. Is it worth it? I'm willing to work hard but I'm worried that with 4 I might have less time to focus on them all.
The problem is, I’d not do FM but I don't know yet what I'll do at university, and I want to keep my options open if I wanted to do maths. Would not doing further maths stop me from doing maths at uni? and if I do 4, will I have spare time, be able to see friends or go to work etc?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by elly.n
I have to choose my alevels, tomorrow, and I don't know whether to do 3 or 4.
I want to do English Lit, Biology & Maths and the 4th would be Further maths. Is it worth it? I'm willing to work hard but I'm worried that with 4 I might have less time to focus on them all.
The problem is, I’d not do FM but I don't know yet what I'll do at university, and I want to keep my options open if I wanted to do maths. Would not doing further maths stop me from doing maths at uni? and if I do 4, will I have spare time, be able to see friends or go to work etc?

Including FMaths in your 4 is doable. It's the only combination of 4 we allow.
Reply 2
thanks :smile: does anyone have any personal experience of 4/further maths & how much time I'd need to spend on these subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by elly.n
thanks :smile: does anyone have any personal experience of 4/further maths & how much time I'd need to spend on these subjects?

Further maths can vary in how much effort someone needs to put in. Some people are generally very good at maths and find the pure side of further maths quite easy and don't need to put much effort in. However, I think everyone needs to put a considerable amount of effort into the other set of modules that you'll study. So realistically you'll need to just spend a lot of time in general on the subjects. Not sure how else to say it, it definitely requires a lot of work to do good in all 4 subjects. Just start working from the start(ish) and you'll be more than secure for anything.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest