The Student Room Group

How are you feeling about this new system?

Hey guys,
to those entering the new system with certain subjects in September 2015, how do you feel? Nervous, excited, don't know :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm just going into year 13 so I've missed these changes (just) but I'm kind of glad of that, as AS took the pressure off in some ways - but then people who didnt do as well as they hoped probably think the opposite
It's a bad idea. :/ I didn't see what was so wrong with the A-levels as they were.
Reply 3
I agree with you guys.
Reply 4
Original post by Cherry82
I agree with you guys.

I am honestly really confused about it :/. If you decide to take, for example, Physics for A-level do you only take the the A2 exams or do you take both the AS and A2 despite AS not counting towards the A-level.
Original post by Calzyhill
I am honestly really confused about it :/. If you decide to take, for example, Physics for A-level do you only take the the A2 exams or do you take both the AS and A2 despite AS not counting towards the A-level.

I suggest you read the specification that will tell you what exams you will face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
I suggest you read the specification that will tell you what exams you will face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have read them multiple times but there is no clear indication as to what exams you will take at the end of the two years. For Chemistry OCR B (Salters) I believe there are two exams in the AS/first year specification and three exams and one practical endorsement in the full A-level/second year specification. So, what I am wanting to know is whether you will take the AS/first year exams and A-level/second year exams for the whole A-level or just the A-level/second year exams. Sorry for asking this question but I think it is quite important to know. Thanks! :smile:
I have read them multiple times but there is no clear indication as to what exams you will take at the end of the two years. For Chemistry OCR B (Salters) I believe there are two exams in the AS/first year specification and three exams and one practical endorsement in the full A-level/second year specification. So, what I am wanting to know is whether you will take the AS/first year exams and A-level/second year exams for the whole A-level or just the A-level/second year exams. Sorry for asking this question but I think it is quite important to know. Thanks! :smile:

I thought I already answered it on another thread.
Whether you take the AS exams at the end of year 1 is a policy decision taken by your school. You would be awarded an AS qualification if you passed but the marks do not carry over to your final result.
You will not take the AS exams in your second year you will just take exams and practical assessments specified in the full A level specification.
I don't like the fact that all of the exams are in year 13. I'll just be starting year 13 and I know that I'll want to resit certain exams, this will no longer be an option (without retaking a year?)
Haha, I just posted a thread like this a couple mintues ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3559815

But personally I dont think it's a very good idea. At all. It will lead to a LOT of slacking off for many in the first part of the year if an exam is taken in the second and thats not even the only thing wrong with it :/
Reply 10
Original post by Fleming1928
I don't like the fact that all of the exams are in year 13. I'll just be starting year 13 and I know that I'll want to resit certain exams, this will no longer be an option (without retaking a year?)

I've been wondering this. I we allowed to retake year 13 if we like?
i honestly feel sorry for you guys.. i'm starting uni in september now, so i'm thankfully out of the system lol
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Haha, I just posted a thread like this a couple mintues ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3559815

But personally I dont think it's a very good idea. At all. It will lead to a LOT of slacking off for many in the first part of the year if an exam is taken in the second and thats not even the only thing wrong with it :/

A lot of people in my sixth form started dropping out right before the exams started due to 'stress' (in reality they were too busy slacking throughout the whole year). Imagine if people were to do the same in the new system, they would have to waste 2 years instead of 1. Also, it means that there's even more exams that have to be taken at once. It will be pretty tough to memorize so much for the exam period. Another thing is that from GCSE to A Levels, people will have a 1 year break from exams which will simply get people out of the exam mood (which is a bad thing). Knowing that I have exams gives me motivation to revise 24/7, without that thought I would too start slacking :frown:

Another problem is that if someone from my year group wanted to retake year 12, they would have to start the new system. During my uni open day visits, a lot of the students said that they retook year 12 and managed to go from (eg) CCD to AAB as they've had one extra year to learn everything they need for the exam + they've had real exam practice. All of the modules are changing so you can't do that anymore.
Whether you take the AS exams at the end of year 1 is a policy decision taken by your school. You would be awarded an AS qualification if you passed but the marks do not carry over to your final result.
You will not take the AS exams in your second year you will just take exams and practical assessments specified in the full A level specification.

Yes, you said something along the lines of that but this explanation makes way more sense. Anyway, sorry for asking a similar question, but at least I understand fully now! Thanks for your help!
Yes, you said something along the lines of that but this explanation makes way more sense. Anyway, sorry for asking a similar question, but at least I understand fully now! Thanks for your help!

No prob, thought you just didn't believe me :smile: which is why I recommended the specification, keep asking questions until things make sense :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No prob, thought you just didn't believe me :smile: which is why I recommended the specification, keep asking questions until things make sense :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No haha, I did believe you, but I just think the way you explained it the second time was a lot more understandable! I did look at the specification a lot but it didn't clearly state the separation from AS to A-level exams but I was probably over complicating things. Thanks again!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eamonnkearney_
I've been wondering this. I we allowed to retake year 13 if we like?

I'm pretty sure those going into year 13 are still able to retake year 12 (and probably year 13) tests, since we'd be at a disadvantage compared to those older than us who could I guess, and since AS levels will still be on offer they'll still be writing the exams
Reply 17

I don't think this is true if you're doing reformed subjects. On gov education and the exam board's websites such as AQA, I remember clearly reading that that reformed A level's exams will be taken after the two years, regardless if you have taken AS at year 12. AS is now a standalone qualification meaning that even if you did take it at year 12, you'd have to resit those AS exams and do your A2 exams to receive the full A level. This is why most schools are telling students to pick only three subjects if they are all new ones as they'll have a lot of pressure in year 13. Some schools are also only allowing two new subjects max with subject choices. Other schools are not even doing the standalone AS exams next year but rather are just preparing their students for year 13. So doing your AS level exams next year would be extra qualifications, you'd still have to do them again with your A2 exams.
Original post by Cherry82
I don't think this is true if you're doing reformed subjects. On gov education and the exam board's websites such as AQA, I remember clearly reading that that reformed A level's exams will be taken after the two years, regardless if you have taken AS at year 12. AS is now a standalone qualification meaning that even if you did take it at year 12, you'd have to resit those AS exams and do your A2 exams to receive the full A level. This is why most schools are telling students to pick only three subjects if they are all new ones as they'll have a lot of pressure in year 13. Some schools are also only allowing two new subjects max with subject choices. Other schools are not even doing the standalone AS exams next year but rather are just preparing their students for year 13. So doing your AS level exams next year would be extra qualifications, you'd still have to do them again with your A2 exams.

I'm sorry but it is true, what you have have said is almost exactly what I had said.
We completely agree that if you take an AS the result won't count towards your full A level and you will be tested on the content you have learned again.
However
I think you have misinterpreted how the knowledge gained in year one will be assessed in year two. It may vary from examiner to examiner and from subject to subject but in general what you learn in the first year will be tested within the exams defined for the full A level where year 1 and year 2 knowledge will be combined in the same papers not by taking separate AS and A2 level exams.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Fleming1928
A lot of people in my sixth form started dropping out right before the exams started due to 'stress' (in reality they were too busy slacking throughout the whole year). Imagine if people were to do the same in the new system, they would have to waste 2 years instead of 1. Also, it means that there's even more exams that have to be taken at once. It will be pretty tough to memorize so much for the exam period. Another thing is that from GCSE to A Levels, people will have a 1 year break from exams which will simply get people out of the exam mood (which is a bad thing). Knowing that I have exams gives me motivation to revise 24/7, without that thought I would too start slacking :frown:

Another problem is that if someone from my year group wanted to retake year 12, they would have to start the new system. During my uni open day visits, a lot of the students said that they retook year 12 and managed to go from (eg) CCD to AAB as they've had one extra year to learn everything they need for the exam + they've had real exam practice. All of the modules are changing so you can't do that anymore.

Lol I'm a repeat student. It hurts knowing you were in the old system but you're now in the new one. Guys I actually don't think it's as bad as people think, just work consistently as you'll be fine. Don't worry too much about it :smile: The funny thing now is a year from now or two years later, I'd probably see posts of you and others receiving A/A*s. Let's be optimistic, look at me who is starting again, at this point I just want to dive into work. But you are correct about the slacking part, people already slacked when exams were given in January and May, imagine not having both. This isn't to you personally, I'm just speaking in general. But to those schools who are not giving the standalone AS levels next year would be making it hard for their students, if you can guys definitely take them, even if they won't contribute to your final grade. Especially to the science students, though the practicals are not necessary any more since it's all exams, still take them. Try and get extra points as you'd be a stronger candidate for when applying to university. It's a competition to be honest, they want the best qualified students. If you feel oh because these are not required and don't do them, note that others will who would be applying for the same spaces and courses. You'd have to go the extra mile now, this is why it's harder. They're trying to differentiate students.

What does scare me is having no resits. I thought they would bring back January resits at least to allow people to have many chances but I guess you only get one chance. It makes me angry that, God forbid someone could have a car accident, or get an illness and miss their exams but they would have to take time out and repeat year 13. Like no matter how we like it, there will always people those who worked hard throughout the years but something unexpected happens. It's daunting knowing that a few weeks of exams in year 13 can determine major life decisions like if where and if you're going to uni, what courses you would study etc but don't worry guys. Leave the future for the future, until then we don't know how this could turn out.

Quick Reply

Latest