The Student Room Group

Preferred name

So I'm starting university fairly soon and when I first applied to uni I didn't put my preferred name in my application because I wasn't out to my mother yet. Now my deadname is all over my new university email and portals and it's been fairly distressing because I feel as though I have to go over the whole coming out process in an educational institutions with everyone knowing my dead name. What's the best way to get my preferred name on everything I (legally) can before I start uni in early September? I've been stressing out since I signed up with my new email and it's got a name I'd rather not have anyone knowing plastered everywhere at the moment.
Better to do it now by contacting the IT department, you should also update your name on UCAS. Contact the university LGBT officer if the IT depart refuses.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Better to do it now by contacting the IT department, you should also update your name on UCAS. Contact the university LGBT officer if the IT depart refuses.

You probably need to contact the Academic Registry (the name might differ between universities) and ask them to add your preferred name to your record. That way everyone should start using it, not just IT. (I suspect that if you do contact IT, they'll tell you that you need to go to the Academic Registry). It's quite likely that IT is using the preferred name that's in the student records system (or the staff records system, for staff) and if there's no preferred name there they'll use the first given name instead.

If you're not sure who to contact, you could ask your university's Admissions team.

You may find you can give a preferred name during registration with the university. There might be an "online" part of this before you turn up at the university, as well as an "in-person" part after you arrive (typically during freshers' week.)
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
You probably need to contact the Academic Registry (the name might differ between universities) and ask them to add your preferred name to your record. That way everyone should start using it, not just IT. (I suspect that if you do contact IT, they'll tell you that you need to go to the Academic Registry). It's quite likely that IT is using the preferred name that's in the student records system (or the staff records system, for staff) and if there's no preferred name there they'll use the first given name instead.

If you're not sure who to contact, you could ask your university's Admissions team.

You may find you can give a preferred name during registration with the university. There might be an "online" part of this before you turn up at the university, as well as an "in-person" part after you arrive (typically during freshers' week.)

Thank you so much! Will do that :smile: I found an email which I can contact the Academic Registry about, so will do that ASAP. One more question, how much can I get changed with my preferred name? Is it just how I will appear on certain portals or am I able to get my email changed too? Thank you so much again!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Am I able to update my name that just shows up on UCAS or is there a way to put a preferred name down alongside my current/legal name?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending