Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I got in through the waiting list :biggrin: Feel so lucky
I got through in waiting list, can't believe it :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Binajd

Original post by TamurosaurusRex

Well done to all who got in off the waiting list... It's been a long wait for you all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yung7up
Anyone know how lenient exeter medical school is on deferring? Do i need a good reason etc?

You'll have to state a very good reason! What are you thinking of doing? Reapplying to other universities/travelling/aid work?
I deferred at Barts and the London so have some ideas
Reply 2424

Original post by Binajd

Me too!! Is there an Exeter medicine Facebook group chat? I can't wait! Was so shocked on results day 😊
Theres a Facebook page, ran by the MedSoc committee, and youll use it all year for socials and events :smile:
Hi guys!
I'm planning on applying to Exeter for 2017 entry. I've achieved 3A*'s in chemistry, biology and RS(philosophy and this). Still have to take the UKCAT eeeek! Can anyone give me some tips please? Would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
(And congrats to everyone starting this year!)
Also I'm a but confused with the whole tier system shindig, so if anyone could help me out that'd be great :tongue:

Cheers
Original post by samrosenwalker
Also I'm a but confused with the whole tier system shindig, so if anyone could help me out that'd be great :tongue:

Cheers

The tier system is ranked primarily on grades, and then UKCAT is used as a further discriminator among students with the same grades, but only in the tier where there they need to further limit number of places. In football league terms, grades are like the number of points a candidate has, and the UKCAT is like the goal difference. So for example, if they have 500 interview spaces, they may take all the 200 students which applied who are predicted 3 A*s, all 200 students which are predicted 2 A*s and an A, and then 100 of the 200 which applied with A*AA. The 100 will be determined by which of these candidates got the highest UKCAT score.

Congratulations on getting 3A*s! I believe they actually place you a tier higher since you've actually achieved these grades as opposed to have had them predicted. So in other words, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview as far as I understand. However, this year they used UKCAT scores along with interviews to further reduce numbers, so a good UKCAT score may still be vital to obtaining a place.

I believe Keele has a 3A* guaranteed interview rule, so I'd also have a look at them in your situation.
The tier system is ranked primarily on grades, and then UKCAT is used as a further discriminator among students with the same grades, but only in the tier where there they need to further limit number of places. In football league terms, grades are like the number of points a candidate has, and the UKCAT is like the goal difference. So for example, if they have 500 interview spaces, they may take all the 200 students which applied who are predicted 3 A*s, all 200 students which are predicted 2 A*s and an A, and then 100 of the 200 which applied with A*AA. The 100 will be determined by which of these candidates got the highest UKCAT score.

Congratulations on getting 3A*s! I believe they actually place you a tier higher since you've actually achieved these grades as opposed to have had them predicted. So in other words, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview as far as I understand. However, this year they used UKCAT scores along with interviews to further reduce numbers, so a good UKCAT score may still be vital to obtaining a place.

I believe Keele has a 3A* guaranteed interview rule, so I'd also have a look at them in your situation.

Ah thank you so so much for this info! It was so helpful :smile:
Reply 2430
Hey you guys congrats on everyone who got offers, I was wondering is anyone doing anything to prep before coming besides accommodation ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by koolgurl14
Yeahh apparently something to do with attendance policy ... doe anyone know what attendence policy like ?

Hi, I'm going into year 3 and can answer some of this having gone through the first two. The main issue students have with the attendance policy has to do with its treatment within the professionalism module.
To pass professionalism, you have to have no more than 2 negative markings throughout the school year. Most people have no problem with this, as it is chiefly based on your personality, but attendance is marked at the end of each of the 3 terms as well, and if you fail on attendance, it is a negative marking. You are allowed to miss 30% of the lectures per term, but if you miss one more, you receive a negative attendance marking. Nearly all other sessions (clinical skills etc) are compulsory, and if you miss one of these per term without a prior excuse you receive a borderline marking, and if you miss two without excuse you get a negative (however, if you miss more than 30% of lectures and more than 2 compulsory things it counts as one negative marking, if you see what I mean). The student dissatisfaction comes in with regard to excuses for missing compulsory sessions: The school seems to be incredibly stringent on what they will excuse, and the admin team seems to be pretty poor at approving or denying the requests in a timely fashion, and is also rather unwilling to converse regarding the decision after it has been made. This leads to many students just calling in sick on the day to avoid headaches. It just undermines their policy when the vast majority of students, in my opinion, genuinely have good reasons for requesting sessions off, as there are ostensibly a wide-ranging number of valid reasons.
For example, I am an international student and had booked my return flight from Christmas arriving the Monday morning school restarted, and UEMS admin were astoundingly reluctant to allow me the day off. I ended up having to ask for the day off for religious purposes for the Catholic Feast of the Three Kings (a valid request as I am a confirmed Catholic and this is technically a holy day, but this was really quite beyond the pale in my opinion). As it turned out, courses did not even end up being scheduled on that day. Much ado about nothing.
There has been a recent change where the effect of a attendance negative judgement has been halved, so you could actually fail all 3 terms now and pass as long as nothing else went wrong. I anticipate this alleviating some of the issues my cohort experienced, but in a more general sense most of our cohort was mostly unhappy with the manner in which the administrative team treated us when we had issues with the course, rather than anything having to do with the course material itself (regarding which I have nothing but good things to say).

TL;DR: Unhappiness has mostly to do with how attendance is marked, but they sort of fixed it this year. The course itself is great, but be tenacious with the admin team if you have an issue as it can take some pressing to make them see reason sometimes.

Hope that helps, can't wait to meet the incoming year!
(edited 7 years ago)
From what I've heard too (Im going into second year now) they listened to the few years above's concerns about attendance issues and so now if things start to go wrong, you have a meeting with a professionalism committee to explain your actions, so even if the admin team came back to you too late or unforeseen circumstances occur, you won't just automatically fail without warning.
Reply 2433
Has anyone starting in the 2016/17 year properly enrolled e.g set up email and registered online. I think I need to send them my results because on my online registration it says I have incomplete documents??? Much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally I have an offer!!!
Reply 2435
Original post by VARRRDAQ

What are your grades & ukcat score
Original post by Somama
What are your grades & ukcat score

I applied with a GAMSAT score

Congratulations hon. See you soon.

congrats!!!
Heya! I'm just about to start my A Levels and I have my heart set on doing medicine at Exeter, do you think 7A*s and 3 As are realistic gcses for getting in? I know A Levels are so much more important but since they're scrapping the AS, GCSEs are being looked at more so I just thought I would check! Thank you :smile: :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending