The Student Room Group

Expected salary after uni?

So I'll be doing a maths and physics masters course at UCL and as far as I can understand expected starting salary is only around 25k per year. My mum who never went to uni earns that much. I was hopinh to get at least 50k a year. Does the word "starting" mean it increases over time? If so by how much and after how long? I'd feel really ridiculous earning 25k a year with a 60k loan to pay back....
Thanks
>goes to UCL
>has no grasp of what starting salary means
>thinks after uni the salary is 50k immediately
top kek( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Original post by mrno1324
So I'll be doing a maths and physics masters course at UCL and as far as I can understand expected starting salary is only around 25k per year. My mum who never went to uni earns that much. I was hopinh to get at least 50k a year. Does the word "starting" mean it increases over time? If so by how much and after how long? I'd feel really ridiculous earning 25k a year with a 60k loan to pay back....
Thanks

25K is a GOOD starting salary and yes "starting" means it can/will go up. Surely your Mum is earning more than that because she worked her way up in salaries over the years, she didn't just get put on that wage in her early twenties (I would assume)? How much/how long depends very much on how good you are at your job and what your role is! People won't increase your salary (or start paying you a huge one like 50k in the first place) if you're not excelling. Also many many more people have degrees these days, so there are a lot of people from our parents' generation who didn't need a degree, but nowadays would to be able to get to the higher-end jobs.
Yes, its purely your starting salary. As you continue to work and gain more experience, you'll move up the career ladder, and your salary will also jump accordingly. It depends where you work too.

As for £50k a year starting salary, there are very very few places that you'll earn that sort of money, working for an IB such as Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley is where you'll see that sort of money, but the working hours required of you to be successful in that job is exceptionally high.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkRhinos
>goes to UCL
top kek( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

suck my cock
Reply 5
Original post by Daniellecorni5h
25K is a GOOD starting salary and yes "starting" means it can/will go up. Surely your Mum is earning more than that because she worked her way up in salaries over the years, she didn't just get put on that wage in her early twenties (I would assume)? How much/how long depends very much on how good you are at your job and what your role is! People won't increase your salary (or start paying you a huge one like 50k in the first place) if you're not excelling. Also many many more people have degrees these days, so there are a lot of people from our parents' generation who didn't need a degree, but nowadays would to be able to get to the higher-end jobs.

Cheers
Thanks

Well deduced Sherlock.
Cheers

25k is good. If you look on unitstats it gives you a breakdown of average salaries after 6 months. Top for maths would be like 29k so its not far off.
Are you actually expecting to be able to pay back your loan?
25K is an amazing starting salary! The only ones usually higher than this are people doing medicine/dentistry which are the top courses.
You will build it up over the years you're working as the uni probably ony shows the salary 6 mkonths after people graduate.
Reply 10
Original post by tengentoppa
Well deduced Sherlock.

Well f*ck me for wanting to make sure
Reply 11
suck my cock

Think it's you who'll have to do some cock sucking with your 25k permanent starting salary.
Original post by PinkRhinos
>goes to UCL
top kek( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Greentexting outside of 4chan. Sit down, little boy.
Well employers are in the need of people with mathematic and scientific degrees,so you would have a advantage with your salary,but it's a starting salary,so it will be unlikely if you have over £50000 in your first year of work.

Quick Reply

Latest