The Student Room Group

Good career prospects

Hi, I'm a mature student who's looking to boost his career prospects, when I look at careers and average salary's most of them even the good ones seem so low like 35k-50k? What can you expect if you go in to a career after uni from a top or decent uni and good course, Do you need to go to a top prestigious russell group uni to attain a top salary or even go on to make 6 figures?
Reply 1
Which careers and average salaries are you looking at? What do you mean by 'a good course'?

"Do you need to go to a top prestigious russell group uni to attain a top salary or even go on to make 6 figures?"

No - and most people from higher ranking universities don't ever earn that amount.
Say if you did Computer Science at KCL or even at Leicester, or say Finance/accounting or economics at Nottingham/KCL?UCL or a top uni what would i be looking to earn realistically?
Reply 3
Original post by maturestudent09
Say if you did Computer Science at KCL or even at Leicester, or say Finance/accounting or economics at Nottingham/KCL?UCL or a top uni what would i be looking to earn realistically?

Well - you could look at salary surveys split by quartiles and sex for each course and get an idea. It makes a huge difference which part of the country you are in. For some of the top paid jobs A level scores can matter for admission which can complicate comparisons.

UCL economics probably stands out among the courses you have noted. Still - you need to be the right type of person to get into the better paid areas top economics grads target. Plus - not sure how mature you are. That might make a difference.
Reply 4
Original post by maturestudent09
Hi, I'm a mature student who's looking to boost his career prospects, when I look at careers and average salary's most of them even the good ones seem so low like 35k-50k? What can you expect if you go in to a career after uni from a top or decent uni and good course, Do you need to go to a top prestigious russell group uni to attain a top salary or even go on to make 6 figures?

If money is the thing that solely motivates you, you are wasting your time going to university. The quickest way to financial success is to run your own business.

But having said that, you need to appreciate that when you graduate, you have absolutely no skills whatsoever and will be paid accordingly. Once you gain skills in a particular field that is when the money starts rolling in.

Prestige of university counts for very little amongst most employers as they are more interested in you rather than the colour of your tie. Cambridge and Oxford turn out many unemployable graduates all with 1st class degrees.

One last thing to think about. In the quest for money everyone seems to forget happiness. "I am really passionate about marketing and sales," said absolutely no one ever! Just a thought.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending