The Student Room Group

Urgent career advice

Quite frankly I have no idea what to do.
I have just got 3A*s in Maths Chemistry and Politics and I have an offer to study Politics and Economics at LSE, which isn’t as great as it sounds.
For years I have been indecisive over what career to pursue, with so many choices and no clear vocation I have aimed at every opportunity to keep as many options open as possible through my GCSE/A-Level choices and stalling on choosing degrees until the UCAS deadline last year.
Politics is perhaps the subject I am most interested in, and studying it at a place like the LSE would be fantastic, if it weren’t for employment considerations.
I picked Politics and Economics as a compromise between studying a degree I wanted to study and doing one that would make me employable (and indeed using my maths skills that would otherwise go to waste on a politics degree)
However, while I was initially over the moon when I got the offer, doubt has slowly creeped in as to whether this degree will offer me the same job opportunities, salary and flexibility that other degrees in STEM provide. I honestly didn’t expect to get an offer from LSE, and this led me to be more focused on more mathematical related degrees such as pure economics, actuarial Science or even chemical engineering.

From my point of view and from others on this site, a STEM degree from any RG uni seems to provide a clearer and much more likely path into a good career than non-STEM degrees, even at unis like LSE, where it seems the only lucrative career paths lie in ‘networking’ for IB jobs (a horrible career imo with a toxic environment I never had any intention of entering, I only applied to LSE out of academic interest).
While I am aware that my degree is half quantitative/STEM, I believe that even from LSE this probably isn’t enough to break into mathematical careers such as being an actuary (even if I chose the right modules, it would 50% quantitative in years 1/2 and 75% in year 3)
Salary wise I unfortunately can’t get data for my exact course but politics graduates from LSE only make 30k 15 months after graduation (which is not high for London where you almost certainly work).
The economics salary is a lot higher and I suppose my degree *might* be in the middle but it is certainly a lot clearer that I could make the same of not more than pol and econ at LSE if I studied Econ at Edinburgh which was my insurance.

While politics is something I *want* to study, knowing I could’ve well studied a STEM/mathematical degree that many *need* for employment with my Maths and Chemistry A-levels and chose not to is filling me with doubt.

In terms of ability, while I think I couldn’t get into a STEM course at an LSE equivalent such as Imperial (as I don’t think I would have the same level of passion and indeed unis like ICL like certain A-level combinations I don’t have), I’d like to think I could get into unis like Edinburgh or Bath for STEM courses like engineering or economics with my achieved grades. The question is whether STEM degrees at those unis provide better employment opportunities than my current course at LSE
**Should I study a course I’m interested in or one that will get me employed, assuming I can do both?**

I’d say that while I have a deep interest in politics and political science, I am definitely more mathematically orientated, and I just think that my current degree wouldn’t be making full use of my maths a level and course (I would like to do a job that involves maths e.g. an actuary)
My judgement is further clouded by my dads experience, who studied politics at uni out of interest and ended up in a career he regrets himself.

In terms of my options, I could stay on my degree and choose my modules carefully, ask for a course change (although I’m told that’s an unlikely option). Go into clearing for STEM courses at my local RG uni Queen’s (although with the job opportunities here I’d probably make less than with Pol and Econ at LSE).
Or go on a gap year with two options, either go to TCD this autumn (I made a backup CAO application which may or may not be successful and contains many quantitative courses),
or indeed go through the UCAS cycle again, probably applying still to finance related courses but with a more quantitative focus e.g. Warwick economics or actuarial Science at a decent RG uni.

I am well aware that my current situation is far better than others, and that this post my seem like pointless rambling, but this is the accumulation of years of serious doubt and worry over my future career path, manifesting in copious amounts of internet research, conversations with teachers, and not to mention posts on this website, all of which has still resulted in indecision that has plagued my exams and Summer.
I have deadlines coming up very soon for depositing accommodation and accepting/declining careers offers, so any advice would be heartily welcomed.

For extra context, my school did not offer further maths a-level
Also, I am completely aware that many would feel unqualified to give definitive advice on a situation like this. So if anyone could even point the way to careers advisors at either universities on in general that would also be great, as I’m not even sure myself on who to consult.
As someone who’s interested in quantitative analysis you should realise that the median salary of £30k for graduates who started their course in 2016-2018 isn’t actually robust data to predict your personal salary in 4-5 years time.
Original post by PQ
As someone who’s interested in quantitative analysis you should realise that the median salary of £30k for graduates who started their course in 2016-2018 isn’t actually robust data to predict your personal salary in 4-5 years time.

Of course the data says the salary goes up to around 42.5k after five years, which is very good. However other courses e.g. Economics at Edinburgh have higher salaries both after 15 months and five year, albeit with only a 3-4K difference.
Original post by jlocordner332
Of course the data says the salary goes up to around 42.5k after five years, which is very good. However other courses e.g. Economics at Edinburgh have higher salaries both after 15 months and five year, albeit with only a 3-4K difference.

It's a median from historical data - there's no detail on the standard deviation or minimum and maximum. It's based on ridiculously old data from people who graduated years ago and only shows salaries from people on PAYE employment within the UK.

If you're motivated by pay then you're likely to be looking for work with high pay.
Most Econ grads are motivated by pay, a significant proportion of politics grads aren't. In an Econ cohort your earnings if you're motivated by pay would tend towards the median, in a politics cohort they would tend towards the upper quartile/maximum.

You're letting the selection bias of the two samples interfere with your interpretation.
Original post by PQ
It's a median from historical data - there's no detail on the standard deviation or minimum and maximum. It's based on ridiculously old data from people who graduated years ago and only shows salaries from people on PAYE employment within the UK.

If you're motivated by pay then you're likely to be looking for work with high pay.
Most Econ grads are motivated by pay, a significant proportion of politics grads aren't. In an Econ cohort your earnings if you're motivated by pay would tend towards the median, in a politics cohort they would tend towards the upper quartile/maximum.

You're letting the selection bias of the two samples interfere with your interpretation.

https://info.lse.ac.uk/current-students/careers/what-graduates-do

If you filter this tool for UG and departments ostensibly similar to the Gov department in earnings e.g. philosophy you’ll find the median salary is around 35k compared to 30k for Government, what would be the underlying cause behind this?
Original post by jlocordner332
https://info.lse.ac.uk/current-students/careers/what-graduates-do

If you filter this tool for UG and departments ostensibly similar to the Gov department in earnings e.g. philosophy you’ll find the median salary is around 35k compared to 30k for Government, what would be the underlying cause behind this?

That department includes LSEs PPE degree :indiff:
Original post by PQ

Is there any professional careers advice service I could speak to. I’m well aware of the Government’s national career’s service, but I’m wondering if there’d be any better options.
I’d honestly nearly pay for expert advice at this point
Original post by PQ

What are some of the typical career routes that Pol and Econ graduates from an equivalent uni would go into?
I know they would be civil service, consultancy etc. but I'm not at all familiar with the nature of their work, the pay and locations available.

Would there be decent paying roles (35-40k+ after five years) for graduates outside London, particularly in Northern Ireland.
Pharmacy was a degree I was considering over the past two years, and while the nature of the degree/work is by no means any comparison to Pol and Econ (nor am I choosing between them now), I am wondering whether the job opportunities can. A pharmacology graduate from QUB can get a decent (by no means eye watering) wage and a very good chance at getting a job here in Northern Ireland, would that be the case for this degree as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending