The Student Room Group

Mphil Management Cambridge 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by muffs
I won't say where I did my undergraduate studies but will say that I completed them at either Cambridge or an equivalent top-notch university.

Yes the courses are well-constructed in that they do build.
Michaelmas term: Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Quantitative Techniques, Marketing
Lent term: Finance, Business Economics, Strategy
Easter term: consulting project, Operations management

Numbers are disclosed by the department. But I have spoken with enough people who failed Quant last term where these seem plausible. I think the statistic is that 20% fail one of the three together collectively, however, not for each class.

One reason to consider the programme would be if you studied a non-economics, non-engineering/maths degree that is typically undesirable for financial positions OR you attended a non-target undergrad ((i.e. plenty of Classicists at Cambridge get excellent City jobs). It can be a useful conversion degree in that case.

Wow, thank you for your dedication of such a detailed info!
Actually your description and opinion matches what I need from the programme, as I'm a non-business graduate (design) and career service doesn't matter much because I'm international student and intend to go back to my country upon graduation, working as a consultant or start business as an entrepreneur. The programme content outline is also good for me, as It covers all the basis bits of everything. The only problem is that if Im gonna get in... :s
The wait is just.... too long :frown:
Original post by muffs
I won't say where I did my undergraduate studies but will say that I completed them at either Cambridge or an equivalent top-notch university.

Yes the courses are well-constructed in that they do build.
Michaelmas term: Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Quantitative Techniques, Marketing
Lent term: Finance, Business Economics, Strategy
Easter term: consulting project, Operations management

Numbers are disclosed by the department. But I have spoken with enough people who failed Quant last term where these seem plausible. I think the statistic is that 20% fail one of the three together collectively, however, not for each class.

One reason to consider the programme would be if you studied a non-economics, non-engineering/maths degree that is typically undesirable for financial positions OR you attended a non-target undergrad ((i.e. plenty of Classicists at Cambridge get excellent City jobs). It can be a useful conversion degree in that case.

Hi, thanks for sharing! You mentioned about projects in the previous post. Do you mind sharing what the projects are and what modules is it for? Cheers!
Yeah and I feel I just can't wait any longer!!!!! Sad.

Original post by r0xybrat
The wait is just.... too long :frown:
Can I hope to hear result by the end of this month...?
Original post by miremind
Can I hope to hear result by the end of this month...?

Have you guys looked at the past threads for this course? Some of them were made to wait until April and May. That's so awful. I don't think I would be able to wait for that long. I will need to reply to other universities very soon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hockeyswim
It's not for another 9 days :s-smilie:

Hey hockeyswim, have you had your interview yet? Seems to be pretty unique for them to have an interview but I guess they are interested to find out more about you. Hope it went well for ya mate!
Original post by Londonstudent001
Have you guys looked at the past threads for this course? Some of them were made to wait until April and May. That's so awful. I don't think I would be able to wait for that long. I will need to reply to other universities very soon.

Yeah, but there were some who heard back on the last week of March too so...

I think I will pay a deposit fee to secure a place on other uni :/ so at least I have a guaranteed place

Will Cambridge inform us if they wanted us to wait until April and May?
Hey guys, I got a conditional offer dated 8th march, though I received the email about it on 9th. I just wanted to point out that I applied on the deadline 15 feb itself (yea, yikes :/ ), so it doesn't seem to matter how early you applied. And looking at the other people in this thread who got offers, it seems we all received them during that 2nd week of march. So it's just an inference, but I think that applicants who are still under consideration at the moment will get offers later (which can be anytime till july) only if these candidates who've gotten early offers can't meet the conditions or have rejected the offer. I understand that waiting can be unbearable, so I hope that this information helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redlights
Hey guys, I got a conditional offer dated 8th march, though I received the email about it on 9th. I just wanted to point out that I applied on the deadline 15 feb itself (yea, yikes :/ ), so it doesn't seem to matter how early you applied. And looking at the other people in this thread who got offers, it seems we all received them during that 2nd week of march. So it's just an inference, but I think that applicants who are still under consideration at the moment will get offers later (which can be anytime till july) only if these candidates who've gotten early offers can't meet the conditions or have rejected the offer. I understand that waiting can be unbearable, so I hope that this information helps.

Thank you for sharing this. But I think it's still early to conclude that they have given out offers to all the "desirable" candidates. The website states that we should not expect hearing the outcome before the end of March. Looking back past year threads, I actually think there will probably be a second batch of offers given out at the end of the month/early April. This could be a wishful thinking though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Katerina5
Will Cambridge inform us if they wanted us to wait until April and May?

Unfortunately, I think not...
Thank you for sharing this. But I think it's still early to conclude that they have given out offers to all the "desirable" candidates. The website states that we should not expect hearing the outcome before the end of March. Looking back past year threads, I actually think there will probably be a second batch of offers given out at the end of the month/early April. This could be a wishful thinking though.

Yes I think that's possible too. So don't take my word for it! As I said, it was just an inference. Wishing you and everyone waiting on offers the best of luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know if I'm right to get obsessed with the wording. But I have sent them an email asking when I'll hear back from them and a part of the reply reads: "please be assured that we are doing what we can to ensure all decisions will be received as quickly as possible over the coming weeks".
This could mean we might know the outcome very soon.
I don't know if I'm right to get obsessed with the wording. But I have sent them an email asking when I'll hear back from them and a part of the reply reads: "please be assured that we are doing what we can to ensure all decisions will be received as quickly as possible over the coming weeks".
This could mean we might know the outcome very soon.

oh lord, I'm so anxiousss :s
I got the offer from Cam MPhil in Finance and Economics last week and got rejected by MPhil in management yesterday. Wish everyone best luck! BTW, does anyone heard of the internal language assesement held by Cambridge's language center, and any suggestions about how to prepare for this assesement?
I got the offer from Cam MPhil in Finance and Economics last week and got rejected by MPhil in management yesterday. Wish everyone best luck! BTW, does anyone heard of the internal language assesement held by Cambridge's language center, and any suggestions about how to prepare for this assesement?

I'm sorry to hear that and congrats to your Fin/Econ offer!

I also narrowly missed one part of IELTS too (got 6.5 in writing, I'm pretty much bad at writing in general :/) so I've been researching about LC assessment, in case I got an offer, I need to do one too.

Someone from the Cam Postgraduate thread has done it and s/he said it didn't take much preparation. As I understand, they will give you a lecture record for listening, a piece of written lecture for reading and a topic to write, all with no time limited. (I think it's more like you got to finish it within a couple of day, rather than just finish in 2 hours, something like that) and there might also be a skype interview for speaking.

The result is likely the evaluation whether you need language assistance during your study. You can see all details on the link here http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/graduate-applicants.html

*ps as I didn't take it myself yet, so some details might be wrong, don't take my words too seriously!
(edited 8 years ago)

Congratulations! Finance and Economics is awesome too:wink: May I ask when you submitted your application?
Original post by miremind
I'm sorry to hear that and congrats to your Fin/Econ offer!

I also narrowly missed one part of IELTS too (got 6.5 in writing, I'm pretty much bad at writing in general :/) so I've been researching about LC assessment, in case I got an offer, I need to do one too.

Someone from the Cam Postgraduate thread has done it and s/he said it didn't take much preparation. As I understand, they will give you a lecture record for listening, a piece of written lecture for reading and a topic to write, all with no time limited. (I think it's more like you got to finish it within a couple of day, rather than just finish in 2 hours, something like that) and there might also be a skype interview for speaking.

The result is likely the evaluation whether you need language assistance during your study. You can see all details on the link here http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/graduate-applicants.html

*ps as I didn't take it myself yet, so some details might be wrong, don't take my words too seriously!

Thank you so much for the information, that's really helpful!
You can send an E-mail to the Graduate Admission Office (not the department) to request an internal language assessment after receiving the offer. However, I suggest keeping preparing for IELTS as I do, because some department may not agree to refer their students to the LC assessment and the language class seems to be quite expensive and time consuming. But, anyway, Best Luck!! I submitted all the documents for MPhil management at he end of January, and got rejected two days ago, so if you haven't heard any news, maybe it means that no news is good news~
Congratulations! Finance and Economics is awesome too:wink: May I ask when you submitted your application?

I submitted the application for Finance and Economics 4 months ago. As to management, I submitted at the end of January~ Best Luck and thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending