The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

2020 Cambridge PhD in Education

Hello all! Couldn't locate any specific place to discuss the application process for the PhD in Education. Perhaps, this thread can help us fight on by sharing any upcoming updates such as research groups, interviews, funding options, and other timelines. Or any information which you would like to share with others.

My application is specific to the Science Education Group.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, posting here because of the dearth of Education applicants on the main Postgraduate forum, even though I am not a PhD applicant. I have applied for the MPhil in Education (Knowledge, Power and Politics) :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by noynpod
Hi, posting here because of the dearth of Education applicants on the main Postgraduate forum, even though I am not a PhD applicant. I have applied for the MPhil in Education (Knowledge, Power and Politics) :smile:

Agree that there are limited discussions around Education application process. Hello here too, MPhil interests would help others as well. :smile:
Reply 3
Hey there! Thanks for making this thread.

American applicant living abroad, here. I applied for the education PhD on Dec 2, just before the funding deadline. I spoke via Skype with each of my two potential supervisors in November, and they seem quite enthusiastic (which I'm hoping is a good sign, though I don't much understand this process).

Crossing my fingers for funding through Gates or the Trust, though I'm not holding my breath as an American applying internationally. I ranked Corpus first and Caius second, with the logic that Kings et al seemed best for funding yet super improbable for admissions, so I'd rather get into a college where I'd be happy living.

Ready to wait alongside all of you guys!
Original post by mada34
Hey there! Thanks for making this thread.

American applicant living abroad, here. I applied for the education PhD on Dec 2, just before the funding deadline. I spoke via Skype with each of my two potential supervisors in November, and they seem quite enthusiastic (which I'm hoping is a good sign, though I don't much understand this process).

Crossing my fingers for funding through Gates or the Trust, though I'm not holding my breath as an American applying internationally. I ranked Corpus first and Caius second, with the logic that Kings et al seemed best for funding yet super improbable for admissions, so I'd rather get into a college where I'd be happy living.

Ready to wait alongside all of you guys!

Hey! It is a significant win for you if the potential supervisor has shown a clear interest in your project! The chances of a positive decision increase a lot! So, this is an excellent sign for you.

Start applying for other funding as soon as possible (Country specific, college studentships etc.). Don't wait for the decision to come in. The funding is the single biggest hurdle for joining there.

Post any questions you might have regarding the process. I would say I am a bit verse about it so far and can try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Btw, did you get an acknowledgement email from the faculty of education that they have received your application?
Reply 5
Original post by parallax_methods
Hey! It is a significant win for you if the potential supervisor has shown a clear interest in your project! The chances of a positive decision increase a lot! So, this is an excellent sign for you.

Start applying for other funding as soon as possible (Country specific, college studentships etc.). Don't wait for the decision to come in. The funding is the single biggest hurdle for joining there.

Post any questions you might have regarding the process. I would say I am a bit verse about it so far and can try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Btw, did you get an acknowledgement email from the faculty of education that they have received your application?

Thanks for the support!

Any advice on colleges or studentships to look at, at this point? I think I've applied to all the college funding opportunities I've found on the Cambridge search tool, most of which I wasn't eligible for because they required preferencing a certain college first. Others, like Corpus (which I preferenced) seem to not require any further action post application... though it's unclear whether they have any studentships for Americans.

And yes, I got the email confirming receipt. It noted a decision would be reached within 10mo -- lots of time to go!
Original post by mada34
Thanks for the support!

Any advice on colleges or studentships to look at, at this point? I think I've applied to all the college funding opportunities I've found on the Cambridge search tool, most of which I wasn't eligible for because they required preferencing a certain college first. Others, like Corpus (which I preferenced) seem to not require any further action post application... though it's unclear whether they have any studentships for Americans.

And yes, I got the email confirming receipt. It noted a decision would be reached within 10mo -- lots of time to go!

Certain colleges like Peterhouse accept an outside application which doesn't require you to mention them as their preference. Espcially, when it comes to UK, which has very limited funding for international students, you have to get a bit creative. You might have to start looking for alternative sources of funding which might not be directly linked to Cambridge but would be interested in sponsoring your research work.

The 10 week time mention is a surprise actually, previously it was very open ended and no one knew when a decision would drop by. Btw, you mentioned that you submitted on the December deadline, but as I have read that the Gates Cambridge deadline for Americans was sometime in early October. Is this issue sorted for you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Anything new on the education PhD application front? I see that many interviews happened in the first two weeks of January last year.
Original post by mada34
Anything new on the education PhD application front? I see that many interviews happened in the first two weeks of January last year.

Nope, nothing so far. The acknowledgment email from the Faculty had mentioned 8-10 weeks. So, only way is to wait.
Hi!

Not a PhD student but rather an applicant for the MPhil in Education, Globalisation and International Development. I have an interview scheduled with the program coordinator for next week via Skype. Any idea what I should expect?
Hey! Edu PhD app here, too :smile: My potential (so hopeful!) supervisor said they met three times this week and are meeting three days next week as well.
Reply 11
Original post by jillybean06
Hey! Edu PhD app here, too :smile: My potential (so hopeful!) supervisor said they met three times this week and are meeting three days next week as well.

This is super helpful, Jillybean! Thanks for the heads-up. Dying of nerves, here.

I'm a bit confused by this departmental process, anyway, since the acknowledgement email said they'd forward our apps directly to our supervisors for consideration. I guess the supervisors give input to these committees meeting this/next week, and they decide whether to interview us?

You're coming from the English department, right? Wishing you luck!

alinanoon: I don't know anything about Cambridge MPhil things, but -- if it's anything like Oxford edu MSc interviews -- I'm assuming you can expect "why this degree?", departmental fit, and research interest/methodology questions. For the last of these, they might ask you, e.g., what research questions interest you, how you'd approach them, and what limitations might exist for a given methodology.
Original post by mada34
This is super helpful, Jillybean! Thanks for the heads-up. Dying of nerves, here.

I'm a bit confused by this departmental process, anyway, since the acknowledgement email said they'd forward our apps directly to our supervisors for consideration. I guess the supervisors give input to these committees meeting this/next week, and they decide whether to interview us?

You're coming from the English department, right? Wishing you luck!

alinanoon: I don't know anything about Cambridge MPhil things, but -- if it's anything like Oxford edu MSc interviews -- I'm assuming you can expect "why this degree?", departmental fit, and research interest/methodology questions. For the last of these, they might ask you, e.g., what research questions interest you, how you'd approach them, and what limitations might exist for a given methodology.

Wow— that’s really helpful info on the interviews too. Thanks for sharing :smile:

However, could someone tell me the gist of the email you all got? I just got one that said I had paid, and one with a survey about the admissions process.
Hi, @alinanoonI also applied for the MPhil in Education, Globalisation and International Development and I have already been made a conditional offer. However, I haven't had an interview... when did they tell you about the interview? before or after the conditional offer? Thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by jillybean06
Wow— that’s really helpful info on the interviews too. Thanks for sharing :smile:

However, could someone tell me the gist of the email you all got? I just got one that said I had paid, and one with a survey about the admissions process.

Sure! The below email is what I received about a week after applying:

Phd & EdD applications are considered by the Faculty on a rolling basis, once both references have been received. They will then be forwarded to the supervisor/s named on your application for their consideration and decision. If you are invited for interview, this may be conducted via video-conferencing.
Decisions on admission to the University are made on academic merit, the availability of doctoral places, and the availability and research fit of your nominated supervisor.
We aim to process a decision for you within 10 weeks and make the results available via the applicant portal. Times of peak volume, e.g. around funding or application deadlines, may introduce delays, but we will always let you know as soon as possible.

Hope it's helpful!

Did your supervisor indicate that the reviewers would be working Tues-Thurs again this week to consider applications? I'll hold tight for now, but will consider reaching out to my supervisor by week's end if it's still radio silence.
Original post by mada34
Sure! The below email is what I received about a week after applying:

Phd & EdD applications are considered by the Faculty on a rolling basis, once both references have been received. They will then be forwarded to the supervisor/s named on your application for their consideration and decision. If you are invited for interview, this may be conducted via video-conferencing.
Decisions on admission to the University are made on academic merit, the availability of doctoral places, and the availability and research fit of your nominated supervisor.
We aim to process a decision for you within 10 weeks and make the results available via the applicant portal. Times of peak volume, e.g. around funding or application deadlines, may introduce delays, but we will always let you know as soon as possible.

Hope it's helpful!

Did your supervisor indicate that the reviewers would be working Tues-Thurs again this week to consider applications? I'll hold tight for now, but will consider reaching out to my supervisor by week's end if it's still radio silence.

Thanks!

She had meetings last mon/tues/thurs. But there are different committees for different research affiliations, and while I inferred from her email that they’re all meeting for several hours on several days, I couldn’t say which ones meet when.
Reply 16
Hi, is it good idea to email the course coordinator asking about a possible timeline for admission?
Reply 17
Original post by noynpod
Hi, is it good idea to email the course coordinator asking about a possible timeline for admission?

I think it'd be great to email to check, as we're approaching the 7 week mark and past when interviews seem to have happened in the past! I'm curious, myself, as I have another offer ticking away...
Reply 18
Did anyone else get that (horrifying) email from the graduate admissions office that begins with "congratulations," but just goes on to congratulate you on APPLYING...and telling you what to look out for next? What a heart wrenching email to receive 7 weeks after applying haha

I want to email the Department more than ever now to see what the timelines are looking like! I heard from my advisor that apps are being processed now, but no clue what that means for offers. I'm curious now, too, if the Department always does interviews, as I've spoken in depth with my advisor and communicated quite a bit via email...
Original post by mada34
Did anyone else get that (horrifying) email from the graduate admissions office that begins with "congratulations," but just goes on to congratulate you on APPLYING...and telling you what to look out for next? What a heart wrenching email to receive 7 weeks after applying haha

I want to email the Department more than ever now to see what the timelines are looking like! I heard from my advisor that apps are being processed now, but no clue what that means for offers. I'm curious now, too, if the Department always does interviews, as I've spoken in depth with my advisor and communicated quite a bit via email...

No, I didn't receive any email yet. Have to say, really scary choice of words to use right now. Haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending