The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hmm it was so long ago I became interested in it I can't really remember why I found it interesting. I think I showed an interest in making games before I got into programming so I guess that's the reason. Always did quite well at maths at school and I never particularly got along with language based subjects so CS seemed like a natural choice for me.
Reply 2
Well Im choosing Software Engineering because Computing is the subject ive always been best at as well as the fact that for some reason I have always been facinated with the Software Development side of CompSci and enjoy all the analytical stuff as well as programming.
Reply 3
Because I like Computers, and I suppose I am quite good at using them.

I just find Computers interesting really.
Reply 4
Computer Science, maths/logic suits my way of thinking I guess. Also, I love computers :smile:
Reply 5
you can get a job in anything you want. everything has computer related components in these days, so someone has to write software/design hardware for that "thing"/product/service. pretty futureproof really until we write programs to write programs in which case we will be out of a job - and yes its not too far away.
ThE_OnE
until we write programs to write programs in which case we will be out of a job - and yes its not too far away.

Most businesses already use code generation tools for the data access layer and front end of a system.
Reply 7
ThE_OnE
you can get a job in anything you want. everything has computer related components in these days, so someone has to write software/design hardware for that "thing"/product/service. pretty futureproof really until we write programs to write programs in which case we will be out of a job - and yes its not too far away.

yeah but individual business problems may require fundamentally different algorithms. and afaik from what I've read, mathematically no such algorithm exists that can derive algorithmic solutions to problems (you can write programs that write programs for different situations but its not the same thing). Also who writes the programs that write programs (ad infinitum if you wish). :biggrin: we're not sunk yet!
Reply 8
stoney
yeah but individual business problems may require fundamentally different algorithms. and afaik from what I've read, mathematically no such algorithm exists that can derive algorithmic solutions to problems (you can write programs that write programs for different situations but its not the same thing). Also who writes the programs that write programs (ad infinitum if you wish). :biggrin: we're not sunk yet!

i hope were not sunk yet :s-smilie:.... i aint even started uni but comp science looks tough and also if you do pass doesnt guarantee anything.... i just need luck :s-smilie: ... lets hope we all get luck :smile: ...
Reply 9
stoney

I know nothing about Computer Science, but can safely say that it's theoretically possible to create Artificial Intelligence, which in this context would mean a "program" could write a program in order to solve a problem.

All in all, you're *****ed.
Reply 10
Misanthropy
I know nothing about Computer Science, but can safely say that it's theoretically possible to create Artificial Intelligence, which in this context would mean a "program" could write a program in order to solve a problem.

There are many problems in computer science that are considered to be impossible, except for brute force attempts (trying every possible option). I would imagine that writing an algorithm to come up with an algorithm to solve another problem is likely to be one of these problems.
Reply 11
I liked my hobby so much I decided to turn it into a career so I could use it to make a difference.

Now I just need to find a new hobby...
Reply 12
Misanthropy

CASE tools are very far from generating whole code, and even once these CASE tools are created Software Developers will most likely still be needed due to the price of these tools and for people who dont wish to use them or even to create more CASE tools.

I just dont get why people create things which in the end will most likely end up in them loosing there job :P
Reply 13
Misanthropy

It's fairly obvious that you know nothing about Computer Science, especially since we're not yet near the level of AI which would be required for that to be feasible.

Even then, it's likely that the programme would be fairly inefficient. Hell, just look at how inefficient Dreamweaver can be!
Actually, languages that support constraint programming could be construed as "programs that write other programs in order to solve a problem". The implementation of the algorithm(s) that produce a solution are out of the programmer's hands.

Latest

Trending

Trending