The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Computer Science A*AA

I applied to Computer Science with A*AA predicted in Maths, FM and Computer Science.I also have a strong set of GCSEs, with 9 9s and 1 8 . The entry requirements of each uni:
Warwick (A*A*A), Durham (A*AA), Southampton (A*AA), Birmingham (A*AA) and Nottingham (AAA)
I’ve received offers from Birmingham and Nottingham, and rejection from Southampton.
How likely is it that I receive offers from Warwick and Durham, considering I applied below the entry requirements for Warwick? I heard they sporadically give offers to students below entry requirements. And finally, if I don’t receive any more offers, is the university of Birmingham respected as a good CS uni, or should I consider reapplying (if I exceed my predictions)
(edited 1 month ago)
For courses that are so competitive, it is highly unlikely. But still, it does rarely happen like you said. Wouldn't be too hopeful, but not getting rejected yet is of course a good sign. Birmingham is well respected, congrats on getting an offer there.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
For courses that are so competitive, it is highly unlikely. But still, it does rarely happen like you said. Wouldn't be too hopeful, but not getting rejected yet is of course a good sign. Birmingham is well respected, congrats on getting an offer there.

Thanks for the response, if i get higher than A*AA I’ll probably reapply for next year
Original post by am767'
I applied to Computer Science with A*AA predicted in Maths, FM and Computer Science.I also have a strong set of GCSEs, with 9 9s and 1 8 . The entry requirements of each uni:
Warwick (A*A*A), Durham (A*AA), Southampton (A*AA), Birmingham (A*AA) and Nottingham (AAA)
I’ve received offers from Birmingham and Nottingham, and rejection from Southampton.
How likely is it that I receive offers from Warwick and Durham, considering I applied below the entry requirements for Warwick? I heard they sporadically give offers to students below entry requirements. And finally, if I don’t receive any more offers, is the university of Birmingham respected as a good CS uni, or should I consider reapplying (if I exceed my predictions)
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, I'm predicted A*A*AA in maths, computer science, further maths and physics. I got an offer from Birmingham, but I recently got rejected from durham and I'm waiting on Warwick
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, I'm predicted A*A*AA in maths, computer science, further maths and physics. I got an offer from Birmingham, but I recently got rejected from durham and I'm waiting on Warwick
Hey I got rejected by Durham as wel for comp sci what was ur reason
Original post by jake102:)
Hey I got rejected by Durham as wel for comp sci what was ur reason
they said I didn't have strong enough grades, what was your reason
they said I didn't have strong enough grades, what was your reason
same thing, really stupid considering i have a*a*a and perfect gcse grades
Original post by am767'

Yeah, I just got rejected from Durham today, still waiting on Birmingham
Reply 8
Original post by am767'
All computer science graduates are respected if they have the skills and knowledge required for the job regardless of where you went or even if you didn't go anywhere at all. Companies don't care which university you went to. If I were choosing universities again, I would shun the so called "elite" universities in favour of the more modern universities. They seem much more aligned with what is required for the world of work and their teaching and facilities tend to be better.

When making your final choice, ask each institution what extras they offer. Do they have leadership programs, study skills sessions, time management, podcasting etc etc whatever tickles your fancy but ultimately it is those skills employers are interested, not your ability to sit an exam.

If you want to go into the world of computing, your coding skills need to be sharp as does your knowledge around the subject that can be applied through coding skills. It is all very well understanding merge sort and the mathematics around it, but can you decode a MP3 file using C?

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest