The Student Room Group

Resitting A-level Math + Picking Up Further Math For Computer Science Uni

Just received my results and unfortunately I missed my offer to study Computer Science which was A*/ A*/ A. I ended up receiving A*/ A/ A without an A* in math. I have decided that I do not want to enter clearing and want to take a gap year instead. I was thinking of resitting A level Math to get it to an A* and also picking up further math to strengthen my application (and hopefully sit both exams next year).

I wanted to know how much of a disadvantage I would be at for resitting Maths. I am thinking of applying to Imperial, Warwick, UCL and two other unis im currently undecided on but I want them to be ones I already meet the conditions for (All for Computer Science). Any chance anyone has gotten into any of these courses whilst resitting A-Levels (especially Maths)?

I also want to know whether or not it would make much of a difference applying with 3A*s and an A instead of 4A*s as I am planning to not resit Computer Science which I got an A in, should I be considering this?
Reply 1
You wouldn't be at a disadvantage. Also in my experience universities are more amenable to making an offer on grades you already have, you should resit but keep in mind you are only 1 grade off and might also receive an unconditional offer if you applied early, in which case you won't even need to do the resit. At any rate, there's no reason you can't resit and you should do it, if you get an unconditional offer then brilliant now you can drop the studies and focus on the gap year, else study hard and hope for the conditional.
Reply 2
Oh and by the way, this time you should at least have a guaranteed back up option in hand so you don't have to go through clearing. Believe me when I say your choice of university is not that important long term and certainly not after you have real work experience. You have good grades, you shouldn't endlessly delay your career, that will harm you much more. Top level university prestige is a nice topic for the sixth form common room, but it isn't something people on the job ever think about, infact if someone in my company (Meta) was in the coffee room going on about their oxbridge or ivy league prestige I'd probably just roll my eyes and ignore them.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Ok thanks that makes sense
Original post by jimb0b
You wouldn't be at a disadvantage. Also in my experience universities are more amenable to making an offer on grades you already have, you should resit but keep in mind you are only 1 grade off and might also receive an unconditional offer if you applied early, in which case you won't even need to do the resit. At any rate, there's no reason you can't resit and you should do it, if you get an unconditional offer then brilliant now you can drop the studies and focus on the gap year, else study hard and hope for the conditional.
Hi I’m a yr11 gonna do my GCSEs. What a levels did you take the first time you sat them. I don’t know what a levels to choose for a cs degree.
Reply 5
ah ok thats good to know. I've taken this into consideration which is why I only plan on applying to 3 top unis (imperial, warwick and UCL) which I don't meet the offers for with my current grades (but will do with predicteds). Do you have any suggestions on a backup university I should apply to? I know you said it doesn't matter but could you tell me if you know of some lower ranking universities that people in your workplace went to? I was thinking of applying to St andrews and Bath but I think they are too competitive and are both well-respected universities so I'm trying to think of other options. I also don't want to apply to one thats too safe that I could just get through clearing.
Original post by jimb0b
Oh and by the way, this time you should at least have a guaranteed back up option in hand so you don't have to go through clearing. Believe me when I say your choice of university is not that important long term and certainly not after you have real work experience. You have good grades, you shouldn't endlessly delay your career, that will harm you much more. Top level university prestige is a nice topic for the sixth form common room, but it isn't something people on the job ever think about, infact if someone in my company (Meta) was in the coffee room going on about their oxbridge or ivy league prestige I'd probably just roll my eyes and ignore them.
Reply 6
Hi I took Maths Economics and Computer science. For a computer science degrees the main important subject you need to be able to apply for top unis is Maths and then if you want to apply for the best unis you want Further Maths. Apart from those two the rest is ur choice. Don't be fooled into thinking you must do A-level Computer Science for a cs degree, whilst it is good preparation for one, its not necessary for one.
Original post by alistudysforfun
Hi I’m a yr11 gonna do my GCSEs. What a levels did you take the first time you sat them. I don’t know what a levels to choose for a cs degree.
Original post by MayOM1
Hi I took Maths Economics and Computer science. For a computer science degrees the main important subject you need to be able to apply for top unis is Maths and then if you want to apply for the best unis you want Further Maths. Apart from those two the rest is ur choice. Don't be fooled into thinking you must do A-level Computer Science for a cs degree, whilst it is good preparation for one, its not necessary for one.

Oh ok thanks. So if I choose further maths I will have to do simple maths with it aswell. For the third option do you think I should do cs or a science. Sorry for bothering I’m just trying to understand. Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by MayOM1
ah ok thats good to know. I've taken this into consideration which is why I only plan on applying to 3 top unis (imperial, warwick and UCL) which I don't meet the offers for with my current grades (but will do with predicteds). Do you have any suggestions on a backup university I should apply to? I know you said it doesn't matter but could you tell me if you know of some lower ranking universities that people in your workplace went to? I was thinking of applying to St andrews and Bath but I think they are too competitive and are both well-respected universities so I'm trying to think of other options. I also don't want to apply to one thats too safe that I could just get through clearing.

I don't know that because 1. I don't consider it useful information in my job or for even hiring and 2. Most of the time it's universities you've never heard of, like from other countries. In short, nobody cares as much as you think they might, what matters in an entry level interview is that you worked hard, you know your stuff, maybe did projects outside of school, and that you can do a good job convincing them you have your head screwed on correctly. After your first job, nobody even looks at the education section.
Reply 9
Dont worry about it. For ur third option is all ur choice rlly, personally if it was me I would do Computer Science simply because I enjoyed the subject at A-level and GCSE but if u prefer a science then go for that, it all up to u.

Oh ok thanks. So if I choose further maths I will have to do simple maths with it aswell. For the third option do you think I should do cs or a science. Sorry for bothering I’m just trying to understand. Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by jimb0b
I don't know that because 1. I don't consider it useful information in my job or for even hiring and 2. Most of the time it's universities you've never heard of, like from other countries. In short, nobody cares as much as you think they might, what matters in an entry level interview is that you worked hard, you know your stuff, maybe did projects outside of school, and that you can do a good job convincing them you have your head screwed on correctly. After your first job, nobody even looks at the education section.

Ok got it, thanks alot for the information.
Reply 11
If you want a recommendation though, Southampton's CompSci program is fantastic (I went there) and is well respected, and doesn't require A* maths.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/computer-science-degree-bsc#entry
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jimb0b

Original post by jimb0b
If you want a recommendation though, Southampton's CompSci program is fantastic (I went there) and is well respected, and doesn't require A* maths.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/computer-science-degree-bsc#entry

I was actually thinking of applying to Southampton last year as my backup but decided not to and Im not really sure why I did but I regret it now. I will definitely take look into that as I've heard great things about their computer science department. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending