The Student Room Group

Can I get in to a good University? Law or History?

I have been a bit lost and confused lately and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me
At AS I got BCDE (B in History, C in Law, D in Maths. E in Physics but I have dropped it at A2. I also did English AS during year 11 but got a D because I was stupid and didn't take it seriously because I didn't want to do English A-level) and I was wondering if I will still be able to get an offer from a fairly good uni??

I have been stuck between deciding whether to do Law or History at Uni. On the one hand, I have always loved History and am fascinated by it, but people say the job prospects are not good. On the other hand, I find Law interesting but people say that it's pointless to do if you don't attend the top Universities??
So, do you think my grades are good enough to get in to a "good" university? And what is a more valuable degree at a mediocre university - History or Law?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm studying History at Warwick and I think I have good job prospects. Law is harder but I think a 2:1 in History is worth more than a 2:2 in Law
Original post by Maris Piper
I have been a bit lost and confused lately and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me
At AS I got BCD (B in History, C in Law, D in Maths. Also got an E in Physics but thought I should leave that off. I also did English AS during year 11 but got a D because I was stupid and didn't take it seriously because I didn't want to do English A-level) and I was wondering if I will still be able to get an offer from a fairly good uni??

I have been stuck between deciding whether to do Law or History at Uni. On the one hand, I have always loved History and am fascinated by it, but people say the job prospects are not good. On the other hand, I find Law interesting but people say that it's pointless to do if you don't attend the top Universities??
So, do you think my grades are good enough to get in to a "good" university? And what is a more valuable degree at a mediocre university - History or Law?

You must declare all results. Not to do so is regarded by universities as fraudulent.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You must declare all results. Not to do so is regarded by universities as fraudulent.

Thanks, I just corrected my post :smile:
Original post by Maris Piper
At AS I got BCD (B in History, C in Law, D in Maths. Also got an E in Physics but thought I should leave that off. I also did English AS during year 11 but got a D because I was stupid and didn't take it seriously because I didn't want to do English A-level) and I was wondering if I will still be able to get an offer from a fairly good uni??

Only do Law if you enjoy it academically, otherwise you will bore to death! If you enjoy History but want to be a lawyer, you can do a GDL conversion later on. It depends what you call "good" (Russell Group?), and it entirely depends on what you're predicted for A2.

Assuming your school does the AS grade +1 method, predictions of ABC (assuming you dropped Physics) may not get you into any Russell Groups.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending