The Student Room Group

Law degree

What A levels do I need to pick for a law degree and how many years at middlesex university
Most courses are 3 years with a optional placement year/gap year usually used for travelling
I’d say go for the subjects you are really strong in as it’s more about the grades then the subjects however ones like English,history,politics are helpful for law as theirs a lot of written based pieces and finding out more about different aspects plus it really challenges your communication skills
Reply 2
Original post by Ayno
What A levels do I need to pick for a law degree and how many years at middlesex university

I’m studying Law this year and have managed to secure offers at top russel group unis whilst studying english lit chem and history. it really doesn’t matter what subjects you take as long as you get good grades and are able to argue in your personal statement why they were somewhat relevant, but definitely do an essay based subject such as english or history as they bring those argumentative skills that are so important
Original post by Ayno

Hiya

You don't need any particular A-levels for law. The only requirement will be related to the grades in those subjects which can be found on UCAS or each uni's website. For the personal statement, it is generally said that picking an essay-based subject will help as you will need to write loads of them while studying law but that is not a requirement per se. If you can draw out a connection between your A-level subjects and law, particularly to show that you'll be a suitable law student, that's all you need. :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Ayno

Hi there

For a law degree (usually 3 years), it does not really matter what subjects you take. Rather it is more important that you achieve high grades in those subjects.

I would recommend choosing some subjects based on how confident you are. Getting good grades really boosts your application. If you would like some basics for a law degree, maybe take something that is essay based. (perhaps English or History) However, this is not compulsory, I did not take these subjects and still found a law degree manageable.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending