The Student Room Group
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website

September 2016 entry - Ask me anything!

Hi Everyone!

I hope your summer holidays went well and you're now settling into college/sixth form well!

Now that applications through UCAS are being accepted (and we've already had lots of them!), I just wanted to give you somewhere where you can anonymously 'ask Cardiff Met anything!'

Whether it's about student life, entry requirements, Open Days, UCAS or whatever, I will reply to all of your questions.

This is the perfect opportunity to gain advice on how to submit the perfect university application not just to us, but to anywhere.

I hope you and your friends find this useful and I look forward to reading your questions soon!

Until then, why not check out our full list of undergraduate and postgraduate opportunities online?

Kind regards

Robert

[video="vimeo;141513464"]https://vimeo.com/141513464[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm a mature student and I want to apply for a BSc in Speech and Language Therapy but I need to raise my maths and biology GCSE grades from C's to B's or above. I'm trying to find some where that will let me just sit the exam and self tutor but I'm having no luck at the moment. Do you know any where I can try? Or will I not be able to apply for 2016?

Thanks for your help.

Emily
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I have recieved an offer for an interview for the primary PGCE course on 1st December. Just wondered if anyone on here would be going that day? Also any ideas on the individual presentation of teaching a new skill?
Has anyone already had an interview? How long does it take them to offer/decline you a place?
Original post by Emily.Wilden
Hi,

I'm a mature student and I want to apply for a BSc in Speech and Language Therapy but I need to raise my maths and biology GCSE grades from C's to B's or above. I'm trying to find some where that will let me just sit the exam and self tutor but I'm having no luck at the moment. Do you know any where I can try? Or will I not be able to apply for 2016?

Thanks for your help.

Emily

Hi Emily

Sorry for the delay in reply!

We recommend you use Equivalency Testing which can be found here: http://www.equivalencytesting.com/options.htm

Testing will be available on campus in August 2016 shortly after A level results day but exact dates will be confirmed closer to the time.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Original post by jsjohns
Hi, I have recieved an offer for an interview for the primary PGCE course on 1st December. Just wondered if anyone on here would be going that day? Also any ideas on the individual presentation of teaching a new skill?

Hi jsjohns

Good luck, I know that there are several interviews that day so hopefully you will get to know someone before the date :smile:

Rob

Original post by liam.derry
Has anyone already had an interview? How long does it take them to offer/decline you a place?

Hi Liam

We aim to get back to everyone as soon as possible, normally within a week but sometimes a little longer.

I hope this helps.

Rob
Reply 5
hey i got an interview on the 23rd for healthcare science but ive also applied for biomed and ahvent heard anything for that, do you think they may use this interview for both healthcare and biomed? what kind of questions should expect in the interview too? it says its only like 10-15 minutes but a friend of mine said they ask about NHS values during the process
Hi Callum

Thank you for your question.

We don't tend to invite people to an interview for Biomed, so I wouldn't worry if you don't hear anything back just yet.

The interview invitation letter does say "the structured interview is designed to assess your values as a potential future NHS employee". The interview will will be undertaken by a practising Biomedical and/or Healthcare Scientist who are looking for candidates with a genuine interest in the field.

Good luck with your interview and if you have any other questions, please let me know!

Thanks

Robert
Reply 7
Hi,

I have an interview on Sat 23rd January and am wondering where the best place to park would be?
I need to be at the Llandaff Campus for 8:30am

Thanks in advance.

Sam
Hi Secooke

Thanks for your question.

Parking will be available free of charge on Campus on Saturday 23rd January.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards

Robert
I've been offered a place on Primary Education Studies for 2016 and was wondering if, if I chose to apply to Cyncoed Accomodation, how far from the town is this? Also, are there buses back from the town throughout the night (for after nights out) or how much are taxis? Thank you!
Original post by chloegardner97
I've been offered a place on Primary Education Studies for 2016 and was wondering if, if I chose to apply to Cyncoed Accomodation, how far from the town is this? Also, are there buses back from the town throughout the night (for after nights out) or how much are taxis? Thank you!

Hi Chloe

Congratulations on your offer!

Cyncoed Accommodation is about a 10 minute drive from town, or a 15 minute bus ride.

Buses (Cardiff Bus 52) go from the Cyncoed Campus regularly throughout the day but the last bus to town is 22.53 Monday - Saturday and 22.17 on a Sunday.

The last bus from Churchill Way (City Centre) (Cardiff Bus 52) to the Cyncoed Campus is 23.25 Monday - Saturday and 22.50 on a Sunday.

The University, in partnership with Cardiff Bus offers a heavily reduced Met Rider Bus pass which you can find out more about here.

A Taxi shouldn't cost more than £7-8, but this depends on the taxi firm.

As a student, if you are ever feeling unsafe, without cash and needing a lift home, you can use the Safe Taxi Scheme and pay back the University at a time more convenient to you.

If you have any other questions, please let me know :smile:

Thanks

Rob
hi just wondering how the conditional offers and grades work? just basically wanted to know if i get the grades uni ask for, does that mean i'm definitely in. just had a weird theory for some reason that uni's may give out more offers than places to compenstate for ones who dont get the grades but the places left would be there for clearing, dont know if this makes any sense but cardiff met ask for DMM and i know i cna get that so if i get it, am i in then?
Original post by call123um
hi just wondering how the conditional offers and grades work? just basically wanted to know if i get the grades uni ask for, does that mean i'm definitely in. just had a weird theory for some reason that uni's may give out more offers than places to compenstate for ones who dont get the grades but the places left would be there for clearing, dont know if this makes any sense but cardiff met ask for DMM and i know i cna get that so if i get it, am i in then?

Hi Callum

Thank you for your question.

Universities accept students on to courses on the condition they meet certain criteria (e.g. a DMM in their BTEC), thus their offer is a Conditional Offer.

If a student already meets the criteria, then their offer will be Unconditional.

If a university makes you an offer and you meet all of your conditions, your offer will be made unconditional and then you ill be approved for enrolment and allowed to start your course.

You can rest assure that if you have an offer and meet your conditions, your place will not he taken away from you.

I hope this makes sense and if you have any more questions, please let me know!

Kind regards

Robert
Original post by Cardiff Metropolitan University
Hi Everyone!

I hope your summer holidays went well and you're now settling into college/sixth form well!

Now that applications through UCAS are being accepted (and we've already had lots of them!), I just wanted to give you somewhere where you can anonymously 'ask Cardiff Met anything!'

Whether it's about student life, entry requirements, Open Days, UCAS or whatever, I will reply to all of your questions.

This is the perfect opportunity to gain advice on how to submit the perfect university application not just to us, but to anywhere.

I hope you and your friends find this useful and I look forward to reading your questions soon!

Until then, why not check out our full list of undergraduate and postgraduate opportunities online?

Kind regards

Robert

[video="vimeo;141513464"]https://vimeo.com/141513464[/video]

Hey,

whats the best way to distribute my online dissertation survey to get responses?
Reply 14
Hello I have applied via UCAS I want to ask if it is possible and how to change a choice of 1st year start to a foundation year start
Original post by stephtynan
Hey,

whats the best way to distribute my online dissertation survey to get responses?

Hi Stephtynan

I would recommend posting on your social media pages, asking friends and family to share with their friends, family and colleagues, using sites like The Student Room, asking people in the street (take a tablet with you), setting up a table on campus and asking people as they go by (again with a laptop/tablet) and any other creative way you can think of!

Thanks

Rob

Original post by Yvii92i
Hello I have applied via UCAS I want to ask if it is possible and how to change a choice of 1st year start to a foundation year start

Hi Yvii92i

Thanks for your question.

Your best option is to call Admissions as they will be able to talk you through your options!

Their number is 02920 416010

Thanks

Robert
Reply 16
Do irish student have to pay £9000 in student fees like england or i heard that irish student only pay around £3000 in student fees is this true?

Thank you for reading my question.
Hi Eireland

Students from the EU also receive a tuition free grant from the Welsh Assembly Government in the same way that Welsh students do.

You will receive a loan of £3,810 and a grant of £5,190.

Let me know of this makes sense.

Kind regards

Robert
Reply 18
Original post by Cardiff Metropolitan University
Hi Eireland

Students from the EU also receive a tuition free grant from the Welsh Assembly Government in the same way that Welsh students do.

You will receive a loan of £3,810 and a grant of £5,190.

Let me know of this makes sense.

Kind regards

Robert

Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply.

Do i have to pay the loan and grant back or how does it work?
When is the best time to apply for the loan of £3,810 and grant of £5,190?. Do i apply to the student finance wales to receive this tuition free grant?

Kind regards Eireland
Original post by Eireland
Hi Robert

Thank you for your reply.

Do i have to pay the loan and grant back or how does it work?
When is the best time to apply for the loan of £3,810 and grant of £5,190?. Do i apply to the student finance wales to receive this tuition free grant?

Kind regards Eireland

Hi Eireland

You don't have to pay the grant back, but you will have to pay the loan back.

For Welsh students, you pay back 9% on everything you earn £21,000 or over, or nothing if you earn under £21,000.

For EU students, it is best to ring Student Finance Wales to see how much you repay and when, and yes, you would apply through Student Finance Wales.

If you have any more questions just let me know :smile:

Regards

Robert

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending