The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celloel
Oh wait, you have one rep on one of your posts. So you're just some stupid troll. Get a life, mate. Seriously.

Who would they prefer? someone with 9A*s or someone with 13A*s? :biggrin:
Reply 41
You guys are all reported for off topic comments on my thread, this is from page 3. You can discuss about the number of GCSEs needed for uni on the Chat Forum not here, I had enough of the arguments and language on here. Trolling is NOT permitted on here.

Update 01/10/15

Today was just like any Thursday's ... Some will know I hate Thursday's as I have the worse lessons on my timetable. Double Biology again continues to be an issue and I seriously don't know what to do as I have my assessment on B2.1 and B2.2 next week. I have yet to speak to my HOY/HOD but my tutor said to keep complaining to him. What should I do?

To Do List
Biology B2.1 and B2.2 Revision
Chemistry C1 Revision
Maths H/W
Original post by judogainz
Who would they prefer? someone with 9A*s or someone with 13A*s? :biggrin:

They wouldn't care very much. The person with 3 A*s at A-Levels, the person with the most work experience, the person with the volunteering record, the person that did best during the interview. GCSEs come last on the list of things that get you a place at University.
Reply 43
Update 02/10/15

Today was a great day. I have double Maths where we're still doing Subject of the Formula and still taking our time with it. In double Chemistry, my Chemistry/Physics teacher was ill and we have cover for the lesson. It was a revision lesson but I didn't do much as it was too noisy and I then my mind somehow went blank when we did a knowledge based test on C1.7 ,I still need to keep up with the revision. I double French, I was writing my paragraph/essay on A Perfect Day in London and will be preparing for my Writing CA once she has marked my paragraph/essay.

In other news, I had already complained 4 times about my Biology teacher to my Chemistry/Physics teacher (x2), my tutor and my HOY and he has given me a reason as to why he rushes the lesson. I found the response the worse excuse ever but he has given me a copy of the whole work I did up until now as I have a Biology assessment next week. I'm also going to be helping out in the Open Evening at my school and I have decided to pull out of the careers workshop the day before (Wednesday) as I really need to focus on my revision for my assessments.

To Do List
C1 Revision
B2.1 and B2.2 Revision
French Vocabulary H/W
Maths H/W
Reply 44
Exhausted from doing catch up/revision for B2.1 and B2.2 , still haven't finish yet and I'm really starting to panic about the assessment as I don't fully understand the content taught as my Biology teacher rushes the lesson. Yes, I suffer from exam pressure ...
Reply 45
Update 04/10/15

This weekend has mainly been full of revising and some relaxing. I've been revising in preparation for my B2.1/B2.2 exam on Thursday and my C1 exam on Friday and been completing my H/W as usual.

For Biology B2.1/B2.2, I'm having a hard time revising it as those who follow the Current Year 10 Thread will know that I have a bad Biology teacher who rushes the lesson and even with those class notes from him, I'm still falling behind everyone else. For C1, I have a few topics that I need to go over, otherwise I feel quite confident for the exam.
Reply 46
Update 05/10/15

Today has been alright. I've had a great double English Literature lesson on A Christmas Carol, I'm currently doing Stave Three, looking at the Ghost of Christmas Present. @Lemur14 Where are you currently up to in A Christmas Carol? For double Maths which was decent as we do have some banter then and there, we're still doing Rearranging the Forumlae, a topic that I struggle on especially with the harder questions. For double History, the majority had asked for extra time for the exam so we've spent 20 mins finishing it whilst those who finished read from the book about the next topic - Votes for Women, a topic I had covered briefly last year.

Tomorrow, I have double Computing which I'm currently dreading as I have to complete my practice A452 CA by the end of the lesson and yet I'm really stuck on a question. I also have double French and Chemistry respectively. For Chemistry, I really hope my teacher is back from illness as I want some help with some of the C1 topics. I also have to stay back after school for a bit to get information about the Open Evening at my school, I'll be helping out.

To Do List
C1 Revision - Friday
B2.1 and B2.2 - Thursday
Hand in Computing H/W - Tomorrow

Notes
History Assessment - Done
Chemistry C1 Assessment - Friday
** Biology B2.1 and B2.2 Assessment - Thursday
Maths Assessment - ?
English Assessment - ?
* French Assessment (Writing CA 6 hours preparation) - Tomorrow

* This will be in particular stressful as I have to remember a lot of words for the CA.
** I'll probably flop the test as I don't understand the content well thanks to the Biology teacher I have.
Original post by JTran38
Update 05/10/15

Today has been alright. I've had a great double English Literature lesson on A Christmas Carol, I'm currently doing Stave Three, looking at the Ghost of Christmas Present. @Lemur14 Where are you currently up to in A Christmas Carol? For double Maths which was decent as we do have some banter then and there, we're still doing Rearranging the Forumlae, a topic that I struggle on especially with the harder questions. For double History, the majority had asked for extra time for the exam so we've spent 20 mins finishing it whilst those who finished read from the book about the next topic - Votes for Women, a topic I had covered briefly last year.

Tomorrow, I have double Computing which I'm currently dreading as I have to complete my practice A452 CA by the end of the lesson and yet I'm really stuck on a question. I also have double French and Chemistry respectively. For Chemistry, I really hope my teacher is back from illness as I want some help with some of the C1 topics. I also have to stay back after school for a bit to get information about the Open Evening at my school, I'll be helping out.

To Do List
C1 Revision - Friday
B2.1 and B2.2 - Thursday
Hand in Computing H/W - Tomorrow

Notes
History Assessment - Done
Chemistry C1 Assessment - Friday
** Biology B2.1 and B2.2 Assessment - Thursday
Maths Assessment - ?
English Assessment - ?
* French Assessment (Writing CA 6 hours preparation) - Tomorrow

* This will be in particular stressful as I have to remember a lot of words for the CA.
** I'll probably flop the test as I don't understand the content well thanks to the Biology teacher I have.

We're up to page 24 which is just after the introduction of the Ghost of Christmas Past. It's soo slow :frown:
Good luck with your Computing, Chemistry, Biology and French over the next week. We always had 1 week to learn our French for our exam (5 lesson time hours plus homework) which was really difficult.
Sorry I can't help with the biology definitions but I've never heard of 2 of them and the last one I haven't done since year 8 and I can't remember what it means :frown:
I hate having supply teachers as it's like a free ticket to talk for the whole lesson so you can't concentrate to do the work. We had supply for double electronics today and only 1 person had finished the work by the end (I've just done mine so I'm not behind next lesson). My history teacher was off today so I hope she's not off tomorrow as we have double history period 1+2.
Extra biology catch-up for core starts next week so I need to make sure I'm on top of my homework so I have time for that as well.
Reply 48
Original post by Lemur14
We're up to page 24 which is just after the introduction of the Ghost of Christmas Past. It's soo slow :frown:
Good luck with your Computing, Chemistry, Biology and French over the next week. We always had 1 week to learn our French for our exam (5 lesson time hours plus homework) which was really difficult.
Sorry I can't help with the biology definitions but I've never heard of 2 of them and the last one I haven't done since year 8 and I can't remember what it means :frown:
I hate having supply teachers as it's like a free ticket to talk for the whole lesson so you can't concentrate to do the work. We had supply for double electronics today and only 1 person had finished the work by the end (I've just done mine so I'm not behind next lesson). My history teacher was off today so I hope she's not off tomorrow as we have double history period 1+2.
Extra biology catch-up for core starts next week so I need to make sure I'm on top of my homework so I have time for that as well.

Wow, your a bit behind in A Christmas Carol if you're doing the Ghost of Christmas Past, could've helped you out if I didn't leave my copy of the text in my book.

Thanks for the good luck for the week. :biggrin: Same applies to everybody.

French - I've got a Writing CA and have 6 hours from tomorrow's lesson

DW worry about my Biology B2 struggles, I managed what I could do with the revision. I'm annoyed that he's likely to teach me in Year 11 as the teachers I have now usually stay with you upto GCSEs at my school.

Supply Teachers - Indeed a "Free Ticket" to talk throughout the entire lesson, I was stupid to not sit elsewhere as I got very distracted. I did the work though as asked.
Original post by JTran38
Wow, your a bit behind in A Christmas Carol if you're doing the Ghost of Christmas Past, could've helped you out if I didn't leave my copy of the text in my book.

Thanks for the good luck for the week. :biggrin: Same applies to everybody.

French - I've got a Writing CA and have 6 hours from tomorrow's lesson

DW worry about my Biology B2 struggles, I managed what I could do with the revision. I'm annoyed that he's likely to teach me in Year 11 as the teachers I have now usually stay with you upto GCSEs at my school.

Supply Teachers - Indeed a "Free Ticket" to talk throughout the entire lesson, I was stupid to not sit elsewhere as I got very distracted. I did the work though as asked.

I'm not sure if we're behind or just extremely slow deliberately! It doesn't help that we have 2 teachers (split 4/2 hours) and the teacher with 2 just has us writing stories about the context or genre etc. so we don't read the book with her. Also we keep spending lessons on things that just aren't relevant yet (eg mark schemes when we aren't even doing past questions yet). Don't worry about helping yet as I'm sure once we cover it I'll understand it, just we're not getting there just yet :frown:
As you're doing your French in 2 years you have longer to get your CAs done rather than us who had to do 1 every 5/6 weeks from scratch as well as learning all the other vocab we needed for the course (mostly in the last 3 weeks after Easter).
Our teachers are likely to teach us in year 11 as well which is most cases is good but obviously for biology is really bad. Hopefully the results in our class will show that our biology needs help because it will be a lot lower than either chemistry or physics and the head of science will take us (wishful thinking).
in our supply class this morning they were expecting the teacher any minute (still hadn't turned up 1.5 hrs after they expected him) so we sat in our normal seats and because we had a great supply teacher he just let us talk across the classroom! As long as we were doing some work. Unfortunately, once we actually wanted to work some people didn't so we didn't get much done in class (just over half I suppose) so I took it home to finish in case sir was expecting it to be finished (he didn't specify). I only have 1 piece of homework anyway (revision for 2 weeks time end of topic rs test so plenty of time yet) so I had enough time to get it done.
Reply 50
Original post by Lemur14
I'm not sure if we're behind or just extremely slow deliberately! It doesn't help that we have 2 teachers (split 4/2 hours) and the teacher with 2 just has usT writing stories about the context or genre etc. so we don't read the book with her. Also we keep spending lessons on things that just aren't relevant yet (eg mark schemes when we aren't even doing past questions yet). Don't worry about helping yet as I'm sure once we cover it I'll understand it, just we're not getting there just yet :frown:
As you're doing your French in 2 years you have longer to get your CAs done rather than us who had to do 1 every 5/6 weeks from scratch as well as learning all the other vocab we needed for the course (mostly in the last 3 weeks after Easter).
Our teachers are likely to teach us in year 11 as well which is most cases is good but obviously for biology is really bad. Hopefully the results in our class will show that our biology needs help because it will be a lot lower than either chemistry or physics and the head of science will take us (wishful thinking).
in our supply class this morning they were expecting the teacher any minute (still hadn't turned up 1.5 hrs after they expected him) so we sat in our normal seats and because we had a great supply teacher he just let us talk across the classroom! As long as we were doing some work. Unfortunately, once we actually wanted to work some people didn't so we didn't get much done in class (just over half I suppose) so I took it home to finish in case sir was expecting it to be finished (he didn't specify). I only have 1 piece of homework anyway (revision for 2 weeks time end of topic rs test so plenty of time yet) so I had enough time to get it done.
I'm doing my GCSEs over 3 years and not the usual 2 years. I'm already ahead for the Sciences especially Biology but I dislike my Biology teacher as he rushes the lesson too quickly, we're on B2 and we have 2 yrs to cover it. For French, I'm glad I'm doing CAs once every while as I don't have to face the pressure and I feel sorry for you who does it every 5/6 weeks. I hate teachers who cover irrelevant stuff in class, it's just annoying.
Original post by JTran38
I'm doing my GCSEs over 3 years and not the usual 2 years. I'm already ahead for the Sciences especially Biology but I dislike my Biology teacher as he rushes the lesson too quickly, we're on B2 and we have 2 yrs to cover it. For French, I'm glad I'm doing CAs once every while as I don't have to face the pressure and I feel sorry for you who does it every 5/6 weeks. I hate teachers who cover irrelevant stuff in class, it's just annoying.

We do ours over 3, I just naturally assume everyone else does them over 2 lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Lemur14
WE do ours over 3, I just naturally assume everyone else does them over 2 lol.

Over 3 years? Why are you lot rushing the CAs for French then?
Original post by JTran38
Over 3 years? Why are you lot rushing the CAs for French then?

As we do 2 courses in 1 year and then clear space in our timetable for an extra 2 subjects.
We do:
Citizenship (1/2), Option A in one year (year 9).
IT, RS(1/2) in 2 years (year9 + year10).
Science, Option B, Option C in 3 years (year9, year10, year11).
English (lat+lit), Maths (core + stats), Option D, Option E in 2 years (year 10, year11).
My option A was French hence the rush.
Option B-electronics
Option C-computing
Option D-business
Option E-history
Reply 54
Original post by Lemur14
As we do 2 courses in 1 year and then clear space in our timetable for an extra 2 subjects.
We do:
Citizenship (1/2), Option A in one year (year 9).
IT, RS(1/2) in 2 years (year9 + year10).
Science, Option B, Option C in 3 years (year9, year10, year11).
English (lat+lit), Maths (core + stats), Option D, Option E in 2 years (year 10, year11).
My option A was French hence the rush.
Option B-electronics
Option C-computing
Option D-business
Option E-history

I see ...

The amount of time I have for each subject has changed for me so I can't really say much about that. I have asked my French teacher who's HOD for MFL about the CAs and I'm currently doing my last one which is for writing.

x2 Writing CAs
x1 Speaking CA
Reply 55
Update 06/10/15

Today wasn't that great. I had double Computing where I had to complete my practice A452 CA and hand it in to him via some system for marking and it will form my first assessment. For French, I'm starting my controlled assessment for Writing and already I have about 3-4 hours left as I have a double lesson. For Chemistry, it was a total disaster as I had to use the MFL classroom as my Science lab is leaking with water due to the construction works above and the projector isn't working. I got very distracted and almost to the point, I felt like having a fight/argument with another student as he was constantly being an utter prick. As I have my C1 exam on Friday, I have Chemistry for the whole of this week. Due to this, I have Biology for the whole of next week which I'm not entirely happy with but at least I can get help for B2.1 and B2.2 and that he can take his time to explain it as we have 6 single lessons of Science a week (3 double lessons). For Biology, it turns out I will only be doing a short test worth about 10 marks or so.

Tomorrow, I have a early closure at school due to the Open Evening. I'll be going home for a bit to offload my bags etc before making my way back to help out with the Open Evening.

To Do List
C1 Revision - Friday
French Vocabulary - Friday

In other news, as I'm a Liverpool fan, I'm getting very excited about the possibility of Klopp taking over as Liverpool manager from the sacked Brendan Rodgers. #YNWA
Reading this thread makes me so happy I'm done with GCSEs!

Good luck with your studies!
Original post by JTran38
Update 06/10/15

Today wasn't that great. I had double Computing where I had to complete my practice A452 CA and hand it in to him via some system for marking and it will form my first assessment. For French, I'm starting my controlled assessment for Writing and already I have about 3-4 hours left as I have a double lesson. For Chemistry, it was a total disaster as I had to use the MFL classroom as my Science lab is leaking with water due to the construction works above and the projector isn't working. I got very distracted and almost to the point, I felt like having a fight/argument with another student as he was constantly being an utter prick. As I have my C1 exam on Friday, I have Chemistry for the whole of this week. Due to this, I have Biology for the whole of next week which I'm not entirely happy with but at least I can get help for B2.1 and B2.2 and that he can take his time to explain it as we have 6 single lessons of Science a week (3 double lessons). For Biology, it turns out I will only be doing a short test worth about 10 marks or so.

Tomorrow, I have a early closure at school due to the Open Evening. I'll be going home for a bit to offload my bags etc before making my way back to help out with the Open Evening.

To Do List
C1 Revision - Friday
French Vocabulary - Friday

In other news, as I'm a Liverpool fan, I'm getting very excited about the possibility of Klopp taking over as Liverpool manager from the sacked Brendan Rodgers. #YNWA

Sorry to hear you didn't have a great day. My day was pretty much the same, the rain really didn't help and in ICT Miss was shouting so much she literally lost her voice, hate Tuesdays.
Original post by jamestg
Reading this thread makes me so happy I'm done with GCSEs!

Good luck with your studies!

Out of curiosity. What did you get and what are you doing now? Come on, you finished your GCSE's, give us some inspiration :smile:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Out of curiosity. What did you get and what are you doing now? Come on, you finished your GCSE's, give us some inspiration :smile:

I got 1A* (Maths), 5As (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Lit, History), 3Bs (Geography, RE and English Lang) and 1C (Spanish). I've sent off some remarks though so hopefully Geography and Spanish will become As and I'll get 1A*, 7As and 3Bs overall!

Now I'm doing Maths, Biology, History and Government and Politics - probably going to drop History after AS! Aiming for AAAB in Maths, Biology, Politics and History respectively.

Inspiration - use your mocks as a building block not a target. I got 7A*s and 4As in my mocks and you would obviously tell that I'm a little disappointed with my actual results, so yeah don't focus on mocks too much.

Not much else to say really :smile:

Latest