The Student Room Group

Oxbridge?

Hello All,
I am currently in Year 11 and looking at some different A level options. My mock exam grades, (bearing in mind this is not all of the grades I will receive in the summer) were good I think. My plan for the future is hopefully to go to a top university (dare I say Oxbridge!). My question is, which A-Levels would you recommend I take, and do you think I could get in to one of the Oxbridge universities? Please feel free to be honest!My grades were:
Maths - A
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
French - B (This should have been higher but I was absent for the speaking exam)
Geography - A
RS - A
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A
Physics - B (this was due to the exam being disrupted)
Psychology - A*
I am hoping for at least 3-4 more A* in the summer. I am thinking of taking English Lit, Psychology, Chemistry and Biology or French. I am hoping to do Law, English or Psychology at Oxford or Cambridge, with the hopes of going into the Law, Journalism or Psychological Field.
Please advise me!
Thank you,
Taming The Brain
(edited 8 years ago)
Pick a uni course you think you'd like studying, THEN see if you like the course content at Oxbridge. Don't just shoe-horn in subjects in the hopes of getting into Oxford! :nah:
Original post by tamingthebrain
Hello All,
I am currently in Year 11 and looking at some different A level options. My mock exam grades, (bearing in mind this is not all of the grades I will receive in the summer) were good I think. My plan for the future is hopefully to go to a top university (dare I say Oxbridge!). My question is, which A-Levels would you recommend I take, and do you think I could get in to one of the Oxbridge universities? Please feel free to be honest!My grades were:
Maths - A
English Lit - A*
English Lang - A*
French - B (This should have been higher but I was absent for the speaking exam)
Geography - A
RS - A
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A
Physics - B (this was due to the exam being disrupted)
Psychology - A*
I am hoping for at least 3-4 more A* in the summer. I am thinking of taking English Lit, Psychology, Chemistry and Biology or French.
Please advise me!
Thank you,
Taming The Brain

You need to take A-Levels that will allow you to do your chosen course at uni. So if you want to do Medicine, for example, you need to take Chemistry and Biology. If you want to do modern languages, you obviously need an A-Level in at least one modern foreign language.

If you're unsure what to study at uni, it's best to keep your options open. Maybe do a science, an essay subject, and a language, and your options will be really varied then.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Pick a uni course you think you'd like studying, THEN see if you like the course content at Oxbridge. Don't just shoe-horn in subjects in the hopes of getting into Oxford! :nah:

Thanks for the advice; I am thinking a career in Journalism (political) or Law. I have done some very in-depth research into Oxford and Cambridge, and I just feel as if I'd be cheating myself if I didn't have a go at getting in? I obviously do not know the stresses of A-level yet, but I have heard it's VERY pressured, so I will see then I guess.
you haven't actually said course you want to do:smile:
Original post by connieiscrazy
You need to take A-Levels that will allow you to do your chosen course at uni. So if you want to do Medicine, for example, you need to take Chemistry and Biology. If you want to do modern languages, you obviously need an A-Level in at least one modern foreign language.

If you're unsure what to study at uni, it's best to keep your options open. Maybe do a science, an essay subject, and a language, and your options will be really varied then.

I want to do Law or Journalism later in life, so I was thinking the Law or English Language and Literature course at Oxford, if that helps at all!
I want to do Law or Journalism later in life, so I was thinking the Law or English Language and Literature course at Oxford, if that helps at all!

Ahhh, I applied for Law at Oxford this year :smile: I did English Literature, French, Religious Studies, and Art at AS if that helps :P
Original post by connieiscrazy
Ahhh, I applied for Law at Oxford this year :smile: I did English Literature, French, Religious Studies, and Art at AS if that helps :P

Thank you! I wish you all the best in your chances! I absolutely adore art, and was thinking of taking it at AS, but my tutor and parents are edging me towards science at sixth form!

Also, would it be really cheeky to as how you fared at GCSE? Do you think my grades would be acceptable?

Sorry to be such a pain!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you! I wish you all the best in your chances! I absolutely adore art, and was thinking of taking it at AS, but my tutor and parents are edging me towards science at sixth form!

Also, would it be really cheeky to as how you fared at GCSE? Do you think my grades would be acceptable?

Sorry to be such a pain!

You're not a pain at all! I got 9A* and 1A at GCSE. Your grades look great, go for it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending