The Student Room Group

Will more lawyers still be wanted in the near future?

I hear people always talk about how there's "too many" lawyers nowadays and that the employment rate for them is very poor. Any insight into this?
Original post by High Stakes
I hear people always talk about how there's "too many" lawyers nowadays and that the employment rate for them is very poor. Any insight into this?

Lawyers will always be needed but not everyone who wants to, will be able to become a lawyer. If you have the profile to get into a good firm or a top chambers set, you will have a job.

There's also the case of your every day solicitor: personal injury, mortgages etc. it's nowhere near as difficult to get a job at a high street firm than it is to get one at the aforementioned places. Unfortunately, most people envisage themselves doing the 'glamour' or prestigious work and not the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There'll still be good jobs at the top but only a tiny fraction of people will get them.

If the legal profession in the UK becomes as oversubscribed as it currently is in the US and Canada there'll be lots of lawyers chasing ambulances and doing doc review for $15/hr while graduates scramble for all those unpaid internship "opportunitites" (20 hrs a week, pay your own gas, brown bag lunch)

For most, I think they'd probably make a better living and have more fun training as a tattoo artist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Lawyers will always be needed but not everyone who wants to, will be able to become a lawyer. If you have the profile to get into a good firm or a top chambers set, you will have a job.

There's also the case of your every day solicitor: personal injury, mortgages etc. it's nowhere near as difficult to get a job at a high street firm than it is to get one at the aforementioned places. Unfortunately, most people envisage themselves doing the 'glamour' or prestigious work and not the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I guess that means, if you're a competitive applicant and your desirable by employers then you don't need to worry about being unemployed?
Original post by Princepieman
Unfortunately, most people envisage themselves doing the 'glamour' or prestigious work and not the latter.

This. A lot believe they're destined to become a high flyer at a top corporate firm but the reality is that this is true for a small proportion of people just like most other sectors. Quite a few lawyers end up at smaller company and become disheartened as it brings them all the paperwork and challenges but very few of the perks that come with working at a top reputable firm.
Original post by High Stakes
So I guess that means, if you're a competitive applicant and your desirable by employers then you don't need to worry about being unemployed?

Basically.

Employers will choose who they think is best, if you fit their criteria I don't see why you'd be out of a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending