The Student Room Group

Why so few options for PGDL?

Maybe I’m missing something obvious here but is seems that there’s very few universities that offer a PGDL, with the main two that keep popping up being the University of Law and BPP University.

I have to ask, why don’t the more well established universities like those in the Russel Group offer their own PGDL courses? Some will let you study with UoLaw on their university campus (Exeter do this), but again they don’t have their own program. I thought law was a very prestigious thing that would require qualifications from well-known and respected institutions, but perhaps this is something people are supposed to do via a Bachelor's in law and the postgraduate options are limited because they aren’t as respected so not many people even want go that route? Please enlighten me if that’s the case. Should I be looking at LLB law courses instead (Exeter, Bristol, UCL etc. offer this)? I’m hesitant to do so as it I'm not sure how I would fund an LLB, whereas with a PGDL there is the possibility of a law firm potentially covering the costs.

Finally, I’ve heard that the teaching with the University of Law and BPP is actually quite terrible, but again it seems these are pretty much the only options excluding a few unis I’d never even heard of until researching this topic, for example Southbank and Birkbeck. Is this true?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Mazziexxxx
Maybe I’m missing something obvious here but is seems that there’s very few universities that offer a PGDL, with the main two that keep popping up being the University of Law and BPP University.

I have to ask, why don’t the more well established universities like those in the Russel Group offer their own PGDL courses? Some will let you study with UoLaw on their university campus (Exeter do this), but again they don’t have their own program. I thought law was a very prestigious thing that would require qualifications from well-known and respected institutions, but perhaps this is something people are supposed to do via a Bachelor's in law and the postgraduate options are limited because they aren’t as respected so not many people even want go that route? Please enlighten me if that’s the case. Should I be looking at LLB law courses instead (Exeter, Bristol, UCL etc. offer this)? I’m hesitant to do so as it I'm not sure how I would fund an LLB, whereas with a PGDL there is the possibility of a law firm potentially covering the costs.

Finally, I’ve heard that the teaching with the University of Law and BPP is actually quite terrible, but again it seems these are pretty much the only options excluding a few unis I’d never even heard of until researching this topic, for example Southbank and Birkbeck. Is this true?

Hi @Mazziexxxx

I am not sure why more institutions do not offer conversion courses. However, my personal theory is because they are vocational degrees rather than an academic approach which, therefore, doesn't really fit into the more traditional setting of an academic university.

I would not recommend doing a LLB over a PGDL at all. Having completed the PGDL and now being on the BPC, I have met a lot of lawyers through work experience etc. and would say that from my experience nearly 50% of the lawyers I have encountered did conversions rather than the LLB. Therefore, it is not less well respected in any way and is an equally valid route to qualifying. Also, with many chambers and firms, they redact the information stating which uni you went to in an attempt to make the profession more diverse and less bias towards unis like Oxbridge. Therefore, where you study doesn't necessarily have any bearing whatsoever on applications any more. Of course, not all places do this yet but I would not be surprised if all started to in the near future.

I personally haven't had a bad experience being taught at ULaw. I found the tutors helpful, informative and kind which was really good. I also like the way ULaw teaches as you do quite a lot of self-learning and then put it into practice in the classroom setting which makes it so much easier to understand and allows you to target the areas you do not understand before you enter the workshop. ULaw also has a really good employment team so I have done lots of pro-bono and been offered endless support with CV writing, applications and interview prep.

I hope this helped and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending