The Student Room Group

Oxford Law, help!

Hello, I am in year 11, I am intelligent but my grades dropped by A LOT due to personal circumstances i don'think i'll be able to get all 7-9, however i always wanted to go to Oxford and my passion for law is strong and real and it doesn't stem from loving the idea of being a lawyer but from loving the law itself, i actively do law related tasks and online work experience and i even managed to do a few days in person at a global top US firm. I read books about it and to be fair there is nothing more I could want from life than to devote myself to being a lawyer. I am confident I can still get great A levels when the time comes.

Do I still have a chance at getting into Oxford Law?
Reply 1
Original post by MsSpecter
Hello, I am in year 11, I am intelligent but my grades dropped by A LOT due to personal circumstances i don'think i'll be able to get all 7-9, however i always wanted to go to Oxford and my passion for law is strong and real and it doesn't stem from loving the idea of being a lawyer but from loving the law itself, i actively do law related tasks and online work experience and i even managed to do a few days in person at a global top US firm. I read books about it and to be fair there is nothing more I could want from life than to devote myself to being a lawyer. I am confident I can still get great A levels when the time comes.

That all sounds really impressive! If you keep that up and get the required A-levels you could definitely still be in with a chance. You never know, you might surprise yourself and do really well in your GCSEs too. If not, you could see if they’ll take your personal circumstances into consideration. It’s always worth a shot so don’t be too disheartened now - see how you feel when the time comes and just try your luck. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by KK_
That all sounds really impressive! If you keep that up and get the required A-levels you could definitely still be in with a chance. You never know, you might surprise yourself and do really well in your GCSEs too. If not, you could see if they’ll take your personal circumstances into consideration. It’s always worth a shot so don’t be too disheartened now - see how you feel when the time comes and just try your luck. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I hope my personal statement and interview will show them how much I law what I want to do!

Hi,

It's great to hear that you're getting a head start on thinking about your future and university!

Like others have mentioned, I would definitely continue with the strong work ethic that you have not just for your GCSEs but A-Levels as well. It is not uncommon that you are struggling personally and it is completely understandable - I would not push yourself too hard as you do not want to burn yourself out!

When it comes to A-Levels at Sixth Form or college, you can take those couple of years as a fresh start and a new opportunity to try and get you to your end goal. Studying less subjects mean less pressure is taken off of you and depending on your learning style, you might find it easier to manage your workload and time which can enhance your grades.

Also, try talking to trusted members of staff at your school to see if they can offer any support or exam support during your GCSEs so you have a fair chance and are looked after!

Good luck!

Estelle :smile:
Graduate Advocate

Hi there

That sounds really amazing. :smile: It is great to hear that you are pursuing a career that you enjoy so much. I think if you keep up your efforts and build a strong profile for yourself, it can definitely boost your application. Whilst GCSEs are important, work experience and A levels are often weighed more heavily.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by Liverpool Hope Academic
Hi,

It's great to hear that you're getting a head start on thinking about your future and university!

Like others have mentioned, I would definitely continue with the strong work ethic that you have not just for your GCSEs but A-Levels as well. It is not uncommon that you are struggling personally and it is completely understandable - I would not push yourself too hard as you do not want to burn yourself out!

When it comes to A-Levels at Sixth Form or college, you can take those couple of years as a fresh start and a new opportunity to try and get you to your end goal. Studying less subjects mean less pressure is taken off of you and depending on your learning style, you might find it easier to manage your workload and time which can enhance your grades.

Also, try talking to trusted members of staff at your school to see if they can offer any support or exam support during your GCSEs so you have a fair chance and are looked after!

Good luck!

Estelle :smile:
Graduate Advocate

Thank you so much, I’ll do what I can in regard to GCSE’s, thanks a lot for the encouragement and advice!
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

That sounds really amazing. :smile: It is great to hear that you are pursuing a career that you enjoy so much. I think if you keep up your efforts and build a strong profile for yourself, it can definitely boost your application. Whilst GCSEs are important, work experience and A levels are often weighed more heavily.

Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you so much! That gives me more confidence and I will definitely keep doing programs related to law! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending