The Student Room Group

There are alot of perks to being on the doll.. dont understand it..

I want to change careers as tbh I dont have one, I do a job in order to pay the bills and feed my family, I absolutely hate it tbh but no choice. I went to enquire about getting some training in order to get out of this job and launch a career I want to do, and was told I'd have to pay nearly 4k to do it, or be on job seekers allowance and get it FREE! when I think about it, if I went on benefits now I wouldn't be financially better off but I wouldn't lose enough to put me of from going on it, and when I think of the perks its tempting as hell. Unfortunately I have an issue with staying at home doing nothing, if I didn't have a job I'd probably try go get voluntary work just to stay sane. I think the government needs to do more to help those who do work but want to achieve greater things instead of investing so much in those who are lazy and just want something for nothing. I think if you are on the doll longer than a year, you are just playing the system.. I was on it for 3 months after uni and tbh I could have found a job after a month but held-out for something reasonable that I could handle.
The reason that training would be free on benefits is because it's supposed to be a route back into work, unless you'd rather people who were unemployed had no scope to retrain and just sat there on it?
Reply 2
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The reason that training would be free on benefits is because it's supposed to be a route back into work, unless you'd rather people who were unemployed had no scope to retrain and just sat there on it?

Thats the thing you see, they found it amusing I wanted to do the training as they said people who take the course usually get it free and those that do have been forced into it by the JC and purposely fail, so why invest in these people? Better I get it free.
Posted from TSR Mobile
It's 'dole' not 'doll'.

Just because you're not eligible for free training like a lot of people (note: not all) on the dole doesn't mean that they have it so much better than you.

I don't agree that the government should give as much help to people who are in work in order to train as they give to the unemployed - why should someone who earns their own money get training for free? If they're earning money they should pay for it themselves.

I work full time as a carer and I'm not eligible for free training but I put aside part of my wages to pay for an Open University course. I did it myself. When I was unemployed I did an NVQ for free in order to get back into work -I couldn't have paid for it myself. People who work can help themselves by saving up and paying for courses - unemployed people can't do that.

Not everyone on the dole is a scrounger who is entitled -you should know that if you spent 3 months claiming? If someone is on the dole they can't afford to pay for courses and training - a free college course can change their lives and get them off benefits.

You just sound bitter that you see other people getting something and you're not getting it too. But would you really want to meet the eligibility criteria to get it? I don't think so. If you're working and earning then do what the rest of us do and save up if you want to change your life.

Welcome to being an adult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It's 'dole' not 'doll'.

Just because you're not eligible for free training like a lot of people (note: not all) on the dole doesn't mean that they have it so much better than you.

I don't agree that the government should give as much help to people who are in work in order to train as they give to the unemployed - why should someone who earns their own money get training for free? If they're earning money they should pay for it themselves.

I work full time as a carer and I'm not eligible for free training but I put aside part of my wages to pay for an Open University course. I did it myself. When I was unemployed I did an NVQ for free in order to get back into work -I couldn't have paid for it myself. People who work can help themselves by saving up and paying for courses - unemployed people can't do that.

Not everyone on the dole is a scrounger who is entitled -you should know that if you spent 3 months claiming? If someone is on the dole they can't afford to pay for courses and training - a free college course can change their lives and get them off benefits.

You just sound bitter that you see other people getting something and you're not getting it too. But would you really want to meet the eligibility criteria to get it? I don't think so. If you're working and earning then do what the rest of us do and save up if you want to change your life.

Welcome to being an adult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont agree that your mum should have shagged your dad and produced you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do have the option. You sign on and get free training just like everybody else.
"Welcome to being an adult."

Original post by Treypound

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
Reply 7
OP:
Original post by Treypound

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a well thought out and persuasive argument there :rofl:.
Reply 9
Original post by somethingbeautiful
What a well thought out and persuasive argument there :rofl:.

Cheers kid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
OP:

what a stud.

Quick Reply

Latest