The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vindangles
Has any mature students here applied for Sheffield :smile:

I have! I got an offer for a Year 2 entry in BEng EEE. What are you going to do?
Original post by linzirosie
I am doing my foundation degree in advanced dental nursing at the min. I am actually heading for my 3 day residential tomorrow. To be honest it's been easier than I expected

Thanks for the reply. I hope your residential went well! Are you studying part time or full time? I've managed to find a uni offering my course part time in four years, so am aiming for that now.
Hi
I'm a mature student. I have already got a Bsc in pharmaceutical sciences, I'm 27 and have applied to study Adult nursing at edge hill, Salford and LJMU.

I've had interviews Edge hill and Salford, an have received an unconditional place for next month for Salford and a conditional from edge hill for September ( they needed to see my certificates again at Edge hill).

I'd rather go to Edge hill as its closer and easier to get to, is it likely that I will not get a place as its conditional? I've already finished all my courses and gave copies of certificates on my interview day.
Original post by AndreaKy
Thanks for the reply. I hope your residential went well! Are you studying part time or full time? I've managed to find a uni offering my course part time in four years, so am aiming for that now

Well it's classed as full time so it's done in two years. It is a lot more time consuming than I had expected but I will get there. To be honest if I get into dentistry this year I won't be finishing it
[QUOTE="linzirosie;62937067"]
Original post by AndreaKy
Thanks for the reply. I hope your residential went well! Are you studying part time or full time? I've managed to find a uni offering my course part time in four years, so am aiming for that now

Well it's classed as full time so it's done in two years. It is a lot more time consuming than I had expected but I will get there. To be honest if I get into dentistry this year I won't be finishing it

I have to say, I am worried about how time consuming it will be especially as I will be juggling a new job (also requiring their own studying), uni and a baby.. However I know people have managed more but like you say we will get there :smile: good luck with your dentistry application
Reply 185
Original post by AnnieHelena
I have also done an access in the social sciences :biggrin: How are you finding it? I'm finding the work itself easy but struggling to cope with the workload and deadlines at the moment.

Are you all firming Sheffield? It would be nice to meet other mature students at Sheffs :3

I will be firming Oxford Brookes :< They gave me a rather wonderful offer. I'm sure there will be plenty of other Mature Students in Sheffield though!
Reply 186
Any of the Cambridge applicants, I noticed a few - would anyone like to share their college and course (again) if they received offers?
Hi All :smile:

Doing a little happy dance here-got my offer for Childrens Nursing for either the undergrad or the postgrad! Offer came in just over a week ago and was thinking was going to have to do the BSc due to no funding for postgrad but after another call to student finance last night was finally able to clarify the situation regarding the new Post Graduate Loan from Aug 2016 so now I'm able to do the MA! PHEW all the months and stress and worry has paid off........ Couldn't be happier!!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Working now. Graduated with Bsc in quantity surveying

Which universities are you applying to: Northumbria (my firm), Nottingham Trent, Coventry, RGU and Reading (Got an offer for all of those :biggrin::biggrin:

Which course(s) do you want to do: msc construction/project management

Any other info you feel like sharing: Im from Malaysia. So this will be my first time studying overseas. So excited and nervous at the same time. Oh and Im 24 :smile:
Anyone else her terrified at the prospect of not earning whilst studying????
What are you currently studying/have studied:
Currently a Tree Surgeon with one A Level in chemistry (grade E) from 2011.

Which universities are you applying to:
Plymouth (unconditional offer), Cardiff (No offer), South Wales (unconditional offer), Southampton (no offer) & Birmingham (took too long to reply so withdrew application as I wanted to go to Plymouth anyway).

Which course(s) do you want to do:
Chemistry (with an access year)

Any other info you feel like sharing:
I'm just about to have scrambled eggs.
Original post by shreddingfish92
What are you currently studying/have studied:
Currently a Tree Surgeon with one A Level in chemistry (grade E) from 2011.

Which universities are you applying to:
Plymouth (unconditional offer), Cardiff (No offer), South Wales (unconditional offer), Southampton (no offer) & Birmingham (took too long to reply so withdrew application as I wanted to go to Plymouth anyway).

Which course(s) do you want to do:
Chemistry (with an access year)

Any other info you feel like sharing:
I'm just about to have scrambled eggs.

Why do you want to go to uni and what will you do once you have your degree?
Original post by leavingthecity
Anyone else her terrified at the prospect of not earning whilst studying????

Not yet because I'm still maintaining most of my previous lifestyle through savings while doing an Access Course(I live at home so life is quite cheap).

I think September and uni however will be a rude awakening.:smile:
Why do you want to go to uni and what will you do once you have your degree?

It's something I've regretted not doing since I left school, but I wasn't mature enough at the time anyway and spent most of my college time at the beach (hence the poor grade). I'll be 24 in September so I'm still young which I why I want to do it now rather than later.

Work wise I'd like to head to Australia, I spent 6 months working there a few years back and really enjoyed the country. The food industry is something that appeals to me but I'm open-minded about my options.

Cheers
Original post by JamesN88
Not yet because I'm still maintaining most of my previous lifestyle through savings while doing an Access Course(I live at home so life is quite cheap).

I think September and uni however will be a rude awakening.:smile:

I have a mortgage which makes me nervous and my parents can't really support me.

I guess we should get rid of any expensive habits in advance. I'm experimenting with cheaper foods/recipes and taking mental notes.

I just don't know what I'll do without Space NK though.
I have a mortgage which makes me nervous and my parents can't really support me.

I guess we should get rid of any expensive habits in advance. I'm experimenting with cheaper foods/recipes and taking mental notes.

I just don't know what I'll do without Space NK though.

You can get up to £8200 in maintanance loans or about £10k if you're in London. My plan is to use the loan to pay the rent and then work part time for living costs.
Original post by JamesN88
You can get up to £8200 in maintanance loans or about £10k if you're in London. My plan is to use the loan to pay the rent and then work part time for living costs.

Same, hope I won't get distracted from my studies though by worrying over/making money. I'm going to be really focus on saving in the run up.

I think it may be a welcome break from having to have the latest this that and the other that you can get sucked into when you're working full time.
Original post by hollyismyname
Hi, I'm also going to be 21 when I start uni, and I'm a bit worried cuz it's sort of in between the 'normal' age of 18 and being a mature student.. Are you going into mature student accommodation? I'm worried I'm going to be too old to hang with the just-left-schoolers and too young to hang with the rest of the mature students! Nice to meet you btw 😊

Don't worry, Holly. I'll be the same age as you and so will many people!
Original post by Mikbo
Well, I've just received an offer from Bath! They never replied about the interview and instead just gave me an offer :smile:

I've firmed them, and have put Sussex as my insurance - not really sure what to do now but I'm excited!

Congrats to everyone with successful applications and good luck to everyone still waiting! :smile:

Congrats!!! Bath is a great university! :-)
Has anyone here studied at Birkbeck university or know anyone's experience who has?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending