The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

What are you currently studying/have studied: I already hold a 2:1 degree in Law (LLB) from 1987. I have also done a couple of Ancient Greek modules at university to make sure that I can still hack it.

Which universities are you applying to: I applied and have been accepted to read Classics at Trinity College, Dublin for 2016/17 (it's a 4 year BA honours degree)

Which course(s) do you want to do: BA Classics.

Any other info you feel like sharing: I will be 51 years old and I have had a career of almost 30 years in the Home Civil Service. Classics is a subject that I have always had an interest but it is only now that I can afford to get back into education on a self-funding basis. Not looking forward to exams!

Depending on my progress I'd like to follow up with post graduate study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClassicsBeginner
What are you currently studying/have studied: I already hold a 2:1 degree in Law (LLB) from 1987. I have also done a couple of Ancient Greek modules at university to make sure that I can still hack it.

Which universities are you applying to: I applied and have been accepted to read Classics at Trinity College, Dublin for 2016/17 (it's a 4 year BA honours degree)

Which course(s) do you want to do: BA Classics.

Any other info you feel like sharing: I will be 51 years old and I have had a career of almost 30 years in the Home Civil Service. Classics is a subject that I have always had an interest but it is only now that I can afford to get back into education on a self-funding basis. Not looking forward to exams!

Depending on my progress I'd like to follow up with post graduate study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! I love how those of us who are older are choosing passion projects. :smile: *
Original post by Dancingdodo27
Hi, I may not be the most mature person in this forum (I'm only 20), but having been out of education for a couple of years, I just want some tips on how to prepare for uni. I'm going to be studying chemistry and I've already started to read over my A level notes just to jog my memory. But I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to fresh up my knowledge near the level that the average straight out of school student would have

To those choosing to do A-levels: download and print the syllabus / specification for the subjects you're interested in.*

Start making notes from text books and YouTube lectures based on the specification. This will help you for a few reasons:

1) if you have a teacher who is bad at teaching, as is often the case, it will be much easier for you as you will have self-taught. Relying solely on a teacher who's really bad = source of stress
*2) you get a head start lessons will only consolidate your learning
3) it is active learning. You teach yourself and work out anything you don't understand by yourself, so it sticks in your memory.
4) you can use these to later create more succinct revision notes & can skip to using the mark schemes prior to exams.

For university - check out the course structure and find some YouTube lectures equivalent to that year on that topic. *
Has anyone applied for law? How are unis like Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Manchester, Nottingham, KCL & Bristol with re-sits and re-applying if you don't meet the offers?
What are you currently studying/have studied:
Which universities are you applying to: USW
Which course(s) do you want to do: HND computing
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 22

Hi all! Haven't had a chance to read through all of the thread but congrats to all who've had offers and the best of luck to those still waiting on replies!

So just a bit about me, I'm a 22 year old sixth form drop out, and I don't half regret not getting my bloody A-Levels! Dropped out to join the Army, was let go due to medical reasons, worked more dead end jobs since that than I care to mention! Call centres, factories, anything I could get my hands on. I got a bit fed up with my day to day and came back to education in an attempt to better my chances in the big wide world.

I've always loved working with computers, but due to a failed attempt to get into uni I turned to my local college for a HND in Computing. After a somewhat turbulent application process, my application was switched to mature entry and I have been accepted, due to enroll in September.

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but I'd love to speak to anyone who's done the HND route and get a taste of their experiences - I understand my may vary, but I feel it's a great way to get a feel for the course.

Never thought I'd go back to education - how wrong I was!

I've been out of education for a while, so I'm sure it will be a struggle at first but I'm eager to start the course.

Anyway, enough rambling from me! Once again, congrats to those who have their desired offers, and to those who aren't at that point yet - best of luck! It'll be alright!

-Baxter.
Hi everyone,
I think I must be the oldest 'mature student' here:
I've just finished 6 years with the OU and achieved my Foundation Degree in Primary Teaching & Learning but most crazily enough, a BA at the grand old age of 54 years.
Next part of my journey is a PGCE int (Primary international schools) whereby my placement is in Germany soooooo....keep going and good luck everyone - if I can do this, ANYONE can :-)
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Science Diploma at City of Liverpool College
Which universities are you applying to: University of Liverpool
Which course(s) do you want to do: Medicinal Chemistry
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 28 and mum to an 8yr old. It has been a dream for a long time to get back into education and go to University. I started last year thinking I would be happy getting merits on the Access course and surprised myself with 45 Distinctions in the end!Not looking forward so much to making new friends as I am expecting to be one of two mature students at University but we shall just wait and see how it goes.Anyone else here going to University of Liverpool?
thats great your studying! I'm 40 and I studied wth the open university in 2004 last and I'm back again to do a BA honours in youth justice studies. I've got 2 young kids a part time night job and now I'm starting my degree this October. So excited about it but feeling nervous at the same time. We're never too old to learn 👍
Original post by ClaireFad
I'm originally from George, but spent the last 5 years working in Grahamstown :smile: small world!

I'm going to self-fund a part time Foundation course at Keele in GeoSciences, then go on to study MSc course, hopefully at Durham. You?

SAFRICANS! Yay!

Hey there. I was originally born in PE. High school in Durbs. Living in UK for last 16 yrs.

Nice to see fellow countrymen/women on the threads.
Original post by andreadis
SAFRICANS! Yay!

Hey there. I was originally born in PE. High school in Durbs. Living in UK for last 16 yrs.

Nice to see fellow countrymen/women on the threads.

Hey :smile:

Always nice to hear from a Saffa. Are you studying?
Original post by ClaireFad
Hey :smile:

Always nice to hear from a Saffa. Are you studying?

Hey there.
Not at the moment. Currently a post-doc. Did my PhD at Edinburgh (medical anthropology + public health). However currently gearing up to apply for dentistry 2017/18 entry.

Yourself?
Hello everyone,

What are you currently studying/have studied: I studied Access to Health and Health Sciences City College Brighton
Which universities are you applying to: University of Brighton (Already have my unconditional offer and in the enrolment process)
Which course(s) do you want to do: I am going to study Bsc. Social Work
Any other info you feel like sharing: I am 31, will be 32 a month after I start University. Married with no kids; @least not yet. I made the bold decision to have a career change after 10 years in the Hospitality industry and I haven't looked back since. This is a big deal for me as I am the first of my mothers' children to go to University. As scary as this feels i am looking forward to the experiences of higher education, studying and most especially super excited for what the future holds.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tempest84
Hello everyone,

What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to health and Health Sciences City College Brighton
Which universities are you applying to: University of Brighton (Already have my unconditional offer and in the enrolment process)
Which course(s) do you want to do: I am going to study Bsc. Social Work
Any other info you feel like sharing: I am 31, will be 32 a month after I start University. Married with no kids; @least not yet. I made the bold decision to have a career change after 10 years in the Hospitality industry and I haven't looked back since. This is a big deal for me as I am the first of my mothers' children to go to University. As scary as this feels i am looking forward to the experiences of higher education, studying and most especially super excited for what the future holds.

Access course in '98-99.
Second year Criminology.
7 kids
16 grandchildren and I'm 68.
Original post by Seamus123
Access course in '98-99.
Second year Criminology.
7 kids
16 grandchildren and I'm 68.

Wow! Seamus123 what an inspiration!! There is no age limit to learning!!!

Sadly i was on another thread where somebody blatantly insulted myself and all the other matured students out there by saying to me "I was too old to be studying". I just laughed at them. Of course I reported their discriminatory behaviour to TSR admin and their post was immediately taken down.

We can do it people, no matter your age, sex or where you are from; all it takes is hard work and determination. We already have the basics (life and job experiences), this is just the icing on the cake.

"WE RISE BY LIFTING OTHERS"
(edited 7 years ago)
The rules for the new Postgraduate Loan are quite specific and specify a set amount of the loan (30%) to be treated as income as per the Statutory Instrument 2016 No. 743 (page 3) that came into force on 4 August 2016.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/743/pdfs/uksi_20160743_en.pdf (see page 3)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/contents/made
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/59/made
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/63/made
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/64/made

[(2) In regulation 53(1) (students: interpretation), after the definition of “periods of experience” insert— ““postgraduate master’s degree loan” means a loan which a student is eligible to receive under the Education (Postgraduate Master’s Degree Loans) Regulations 2016;”.

(3) In regulation 59(3) (calculation of grant income)— (a) after “a student loan” insert “or a postgraduate master’s degree loan”; (b) for “such a loan” substitute “a student loan or a postgraduate master’s degree loan. [applied to the below]

(3) Where a student does not have a student loan and is not treated as possessing such a loan, there shall be excluded from the student’s grant income— (a) the sum of £280 in respect of travel costs; and (b) the sum of £352 towards the costs of books and equipment, whether or not any such costs are incurred.

(4) In regulation 64 (treatment of student loans)—

(a) at the end of the heading add “and postgraduate master’s degree loans”;
(b) in paragraph (1), after “A student loan” insert “and a postgraduate master’s degree loan”;
(c) in paragraph (3)— (i) after “a student loan” in both places, insert “or a postgraduate master’s degree loan”; (ii) in sub-paragraph (b), for “such a loan” substitute “a student loan or a postgraduate master’s degree loan”.
(d) after paragraph (4) insert—

“(4A) Where a student is treated as possessing a postgraduate master’s degree loan under paragraph (3) in respect of an academic year, the amount of that loan to be taken into account as income shall be, subject to paragraph (5), a sum equal to 30 per cent. of the maximum postgraduate master’s degree loan the student is able to acquire in respect of that academic year by taking reasonable steps to do so.”.

(5) After regulation 64A(a) insert—

...end
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Legal Studies
Which universities are you applying to: Lancaster University, UCLAN, and MAYBE the university of Manchester
Which course(s) do you want to do: LLB Law
What are you currently studying/have studied: Criminal Justice at Central Texas College
Which universities are you applying to: Uni of Portsmouth (and got accepted, yay!)
Which course(s) do you want to do: BA Hons Crime & Criminology Distance Learning
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 29 and finally found the uni I want to "go" to (it's distance learning but definitely better than my old college). I'm actually really happy to see that there are many mature students out there, I wasn't sure if it was a common thing in the UK. In my home country, Germany, one does not really see mature students on campus.Anyone else registered for Criminology at Portsmouth (Distance learning or not)?
This thread has me hopeful
Well I made it!! Lol I am currently sat in the university library researching my first assignment for my MA in early modern history. Week 3 and so far I am loving it!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending