The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiceTheSlice
What if English teams wins the champions league and the Europa league?

See last season in Spain.

There is no issue if we win Europa. If we won europa and say United come 6th and win CL then whoever comes 4th will not make CL.
Original post by The Assassin
Lukaku looks like he's really matured in terms of his play at Everton.

Would lol heartedly if we put a large bid for him in the summer.

Are we acting like this is in any way a surprise. You'd think we'd have learnt from the Sturridge deal.
Reply 1582
Lukaku is still not a striker that would thrive in a big team imo. I think Everton is pretty much the perfect club for him with the dubious way Martinez manages.
His mentality is lacking (he needs an arm around him I feel to do well) but the entire point of management is to adapt to players with different mentalities.

There is no doubt that he has the ability to thrive in the current Chelsea team.

I dunno though. Sounds out of the camp that the players in general still trust José by their comments in the media. Tbh while I want Mou out for some decisions he's made over his time here, I'm more interested in where we will finish this season under Mourinho and what he will do. Reckon he'll just put his eggs in winning the CL from now on, but there's a hell of a lot of things Chelsea need to focus on before we get to that stage. No doubt we have a team capable of winning it though(don't think it was any weaker than say Juve last season, Dortmund under Klopp or this current Atlético side) but lets see how José manages it.

That's provided we don't get knocked out and move into the europa. Then getting into the CL next season becomes a much easier task.
You're not getting into the CL next season. You'll qualify and then lose in the knockouts, and finish in the Europa spots in the PL. Let it go.
Original post by Fizzel
You're not getting into the CL next season. You'll qualify and then lose in the knockouts, and finish in the Europa spots in the PL. Let it go.

That is looking unlikely. Avoiding relegation should be our primary concern.
(edited 8 years ago)
Surely gotta be after Vardy.....then bench him.
Original post by joey11223
Surely gotta be after Vardy.....then bench him.

Then loan him, then sell him for a fraction of a value.
Original post by Nichrome
Then loan him, then sell him for a fraction of a value.

Although of course the crucial aspect is you need to play him out of position and also ensure he is not a focus of your goal scoring plan, his job is to supply one of the greats like Costa. He then becomes demoralized, then obviously you have a row and the bench beckons, loaned to mid table championship side who he then helps bring up to the premiere league out of nowhere.....sold to them or simply back to Leicester for less than he was purchased for.

...plan in place.
Mahrez is the player to want.

No player has made more interceptions/tackles in the opposing half than him this year. He's so good at dribbling, too, and would offer a really creative wide outlet for Chelsea.

I imagine he'll move to a top four club next summer, should Leicester not make it.
Original post by Fizzel

I don't think we'll finish in europa spots tbh.

It's hard to let go when throughout the duration of our clubs history, we have been in the champions league. This might be our first season without CL football.
Original post by jam277

It's hard to let go when throughout the duration of our clubs history, we have been in the champions league. This might be our first season without CL football.

:lol:
Original post by jam277

Woah, hang on. You've been in the CL consecutively since 2003-04, admittedly, but you only played in it ONCE before that (1999-00).

You were never in the European Cup.

EDIT: You were being sarcastic, weren't you?
Original post by Mackay
Woah, hang on. You've been in the CL consecutively since 2003-04, admittedly, but you only played in it ONCE before that (1999-00).

You were never in the European Cup.

EDIT: You were being sarcastic, weren't you?

yes
No he wasnt
Original post by The Assassin
Lukaku looks like he's really matured in terms of his play at Everton.

Would lol heartedly if we put a large bid for him in the summer.

Na, his style of football is suited to playing for Everton atm. His first touch / ball control is still pretty bad when the ball is at his feet. His at his best when he hits it first time which he's always been good at.

Still would have liked to have seen him given a chance at Chelsea.
Original post by mos182
Na, his style of football is suited to playing for Everton atm. His first touch / ball control is still pretty bad when the ball is at his feet. His at his best when he hits it first time which he's always been good at.Still would have liked to have seen him given a chance at Chelsea.
Yeah he's still raw and pretty immature, but the progress he's made in the past year or two has been impressive -- especially as he's still only 22. Somehow if Martinez could train his technical ability to be better he'd be amazing, because he's putting these performances with mainly raw power (in combination with better positioning and general technical ability from last year).

Funny enough I think he said Everton is just a stepping stone for him until he moves to a better club. :laugh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Sturridge reportedly injured again. Could really have used him for his performances. But there's no way we could have relied on him as our first choice striker as he wanted with his injury record.
Original post by The Shed End
Sturridge reportedly injured again. Could really have used him for his performances. But there's no way we could have relied on him as our first choice striker as he wanted with his injury record.

No way. Dude has been almost constantly injured since mid 2014, surely his career must be slowly ebbing?
Reply 1599
The egg on our face for selling Sturridge has been more or less cancelled out by the fact his career is absolutely over and Liverpool are stuck paying his wages until he retires.

Latest