The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkychemist
Waiting on Southampton to receive an interview, is Southampton competitive? Ive got a ukcat score of 2830 with all A* predictions (Applying for BM5%)

It's usually about 16 applicants to an offer. Your UKCAT is high enough to have got you an interview since they started giving interviews by UKCAT score so good luck!
Any idea when Southampton will start sending interviews or on the cut off
Original post by Jameshall98

Please see my post on the last page:

Original post by Neostigmine
Next Step: Interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
This was a letter but last year some people got emails. Check both.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAAa. They will not be lenient (eg A*A*A*b will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an unconditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.

They won't release a cut off score until the end of the cycle so like July.
Reply 43
Has anyone heard anything yet?
Reply 44
Original post by 10nasir

Last year no one heard until January so could be a while yet...
Original post by 10nasir

I wouldn't worry too much. I applied on the deadline and they just asked for my predicted grades and supplementary info. I thought Soton was a lost cause because I had heard absolutely nothing until now, but I'm regaining a small amount of hope.
Original post by Jameshall98

Original post by 10nasir

Interview dates are:
Thursday 28 January
Tuesday 2 February
Thursday 4 February
Monday 8 February

Then:
Thursday 25 February for BM5/A100 Mature Non-graduates, Overseas and Graduates

Monday 29 February for BM5/A100 Overseas and remaining School Leavers

You can expect to start hearing in the next 2 weeks up until late Feb. Good luck!
Reply 47
Interviews invitations have started going out. Mine came through to my junk email inbox, which was surprising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an interview!! For 28 Jan! My UKCAT was 762.5 :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by dancinglove

What time is yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats!!!

Fingers crossed for those who haven't heard but remember it might be a while yet and until you get a rejection it isn't a no!
Got an interview for the 28th! :smile: It came to my junk folder which was a bit weird. Good luck to everyone, hope you all get interviews :smile:
Original post by dancinglove

Ayy well done! When did the email come through? :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Random20
Ayy well done! When did the email come through? :smile:

Mine came through at 13:11 for Jan 28th

Posted from TSR Mobile
My time is interview 1.40, group task 2.15 :smile:
Reply 55
My interview came into my junk folder swell
roughly how many people do they interview at southampton?
Original post by revisinglots
roughly how many people do they interview at southampton?

457 interviews and 290 offers last year. Will be about the same this year.
Reply 58
Original post by 10nasir

Got an interview on the 28th Jan at 10.30....my only panel interview yikes!
Original post by Wigwig
Got an interview on the 28th Jan at 10.30....my only panel interview yikes!

Congrats - when did your email arrive?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending