The Student Room Group

Life after freshers?

Do people focus on their work more? Is there less noise? Everything is so manic right now I feel it will never calm down? We've had so many fire alarms go off and parties in the halls and I haven't slept in like 5 days....
Original post by MonicaG12
Do people focus on their work more? Is there less noise? Everything is so manic right now I feel it will never calm down? We've had so many fire alarms go off and parties in the halls and I haven't slept in like 5 days....

It will quieten down.
Some people carry on partying. They're the ones you won't be seeing in year 2.

Your freshers is still going on? Mine finished like at the end of last week. Everything is a lot quieter now, a lot less noise, a lot less events, a lot less free stuff.

Work becomes the priority after that. You'll get more as you settle in to your course.
Reply 3
Original post by JoshDawg
Your freshers is still going on? Mine finished like at the end of last week. Everything is a lot quieter now, a lot less noise, a lot less events, a lot less free stuff.

Work becomes the priority after that. You'll get more as you settle in to your course.

Yeah, my university seems to have started later than others, but I'm hoping there is less noise/screaming drunk people soon haha!
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36
It will quieten down.
Some people carry on partying. They're the ones you won't be seeing in year 2.

That seems reasonable!
Reply 5
first year is for you to make friends and enjoy your time at uni, there's hardly any work apart from the odd coursework here and there.

Halls are unique because they are loud, cramped and tight - that's how people are forced to make life-long bonds there!

nothing like hearing your flatmate loudly moaning 10 inches away with the only barrier being a thin sheet of cardboard :wink:

My hall is nothing like that. Its very calm where i am. Unless some one in particular is playing very loud music.

Every anecdote like this I hear confirms to me I made the right decision (being a fairly old fart compared to your typical fresher) to find private, off-campus accommodation right from year 1!

I hope it does settle down for you as you're in halls. But otherwise let them keep partying. My personal take on it is to strike a balance in this first year - I hope to enjoy the whole uni experience and don't want to flog myself to death, yet at the same time, I want to sharpen myself up for Year 2. It's shortsighted imo to just look at Year 1 as a doss year. Doesn't exactly help you with your noisy neighbours, but it might give you the edge over them if you adopt the same approach.
(edited 8 years ago)

Hell no.

It all depends, after freshers, there is still all of first year left. First year really is the party year and the fact that once people hear 'your grades don't really count', everybody does treat it as a bit of a party year. (Your grades may not count but you still have to pass, just saying). A lot of people will start to focus on their course as their work load starts coming in. Noise will reduce depending on the people around and if they like to party. Student nights will usually be the loudest and busiest nights because flat parties will continue. It never really ends to be honest during first year. Fire alarms - depending if they are caused by students, they will reduce. They are normally planned for the first Friday of every month.
That depends on the uni. My halls were noisy on party nights, so Monday, Wednesday, Fridays and possibly Saturday.

It will calm down somewhat but how much depends on whether you are in a "party" hall, where people apply expecting to be able to carry on partying for the year. If you are try to arrange a rooms swap.

There are always likely to be some parties so invest in good ear plugs. The cylinder shaped yellow foam ones from Boots are inexpensive. Some people have noise cancelling headphones.
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Every anecdote like this I hear confirms to me I made the right decision (being a fairly old fart compared to your typical fresher) to find private, off-campus accommodation right from year 1!

I hope it does settle down for you as you're in halls. But otherwise let them keep partying. My personal take on it is to strike a balance in this first year - I hope to enjoy the whole uni experience and don't want to flog myself to death, yet at the same time, I want to sharpen myself up for Year 2. It's shortsighted imo to just look at Year 1 as a doss year. Doesn't exactly help you with your noisy neighbours, but it might give you the edge over them if you adopt the same approach.

Been here a few days and my hall is nothing like that. Some quiet music yesterday afternoon for half an hour and doors opening and people talking every once in a while. And the occasional goose. Other than that, nothing.
Original post by morgan8002
Been here a few days and my hall is nothing like that.

Fair enough, if that's what suits you. But I felt it was too much of a lottery as to whether I'd end up in a quiet hall (which I wanted) or a noisy one (which I'd hate). Hence i decided to look privately, which meant I'd have a greater degree of control over the living environment I have than if the decision was made by my uni's accommodation dept.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending