The Student Room Group

Any advice for starting uni?

Undergraduate 1st year student
Hi there,

Uni is brilliant fun. There are people at uni who will become so close to you they are almost family, as well as being able to help you when you need it you will also be able to help. I think one of the best things about university is the societies. They are really good as you meet people who like similar things to you as well as being able to continue any sports and hobbies you liked at home.

I really hope you enjoy uni,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

I hope you are looking forward to starting university!

A few basics is to get to know the area and find out where is best to go with friends, supermarkets, doctors/hospitals, etc (make sure to register with a local GP!).

In terms of university itself, accept that it is normal to feel nervous! Joining societies, like @University of Sunderland Student Ambassador mentioned is a good way to meet people who share similar interests as people on your course or in your accommodation may not be for you.

Additionally, put up posters/pictures in your room to make yourself feel more at home! Having the same decor in your room as you do at home can help with feeling unsettled.

Most importantly, have fun and look after yourself! University can be a great experience when you balance your studies and social life and try not to neglect either one.

I hope you enjoy your first year :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
(edited 7 months ago)

Hi there. How are you feeling about going to University? :smile:

I would recommend taking your time to settle into University. Get to know the local area, shops, GPs, you can also walk around campus to find your lecture halls ahead of time etc.

In terms of social life, have a look at the Fresher's fair where different societies display their events. This is a good way to meet new people and try out new opportunities. Find out how you will study: try to develop a study plan that will work for you. At Uni you are given a lot of independence and freedom, so time management will be important. Try to maintain a good work-life balance throughout University, and enjoy your time! University is a really good experience.

All the best in University! :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Anon,

What advice are you looking for specifically?

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 7 months ago)
Hello,

I am unsure what advice you are looking for, however, taking notes could be challenging at University. I wrote a blog for UniBuddy during my time as a student ambassador, which you may access through Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnI2n2-PNd5gbeEWtHdPL5n71sscLzP0/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102097272116767048140&rtpof=true&sd=true

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Dana Kafoud
4th-year BSc Criminal Psychology student at the University of Essex Online

Hi!
My advice (probably a bit cliched) is to get involved with as much as possible. This way you meet so many different people and get to learn new skills wether this be through a club, society or freshers event. Uni is a great time to get involved with things you've never had the opportunity to try before.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending