The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Official University of Southampton freshers 2023 chat

Hello and welcome to all the University of Southampton Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

So to kick off, why not introduce yourself with:
What course you’ll be studying
What you like doing in your spare time
What you’re most looking forward to about studying at University of Southampton

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, this is a place where Freshers can ask questions. I'm a second year student at the University of Southampton so I was in your position last year. Anything you would like to ask a current student pop here. No question is stupid. All advice I give will be from my own personal experience.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Did you live in halls?
If so, where?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Did you live in halls?
If so, where?

Hi,
Yes I live at Chamberlain, which is in glen Eyre. And I still will next year because I'm a wheelchair user. My friends lived in Wessex, archers, Highfield and Erasmus park tho so I can probs answer qs for other halls too
Original post by smurg001
Hi,
Yes I live at Chamberlain, which is in glen Eyre. And I still will next year because I'm a wheelchair user. My friends lived in Wessex, archers, Highfield and Erasmus park tho so I can probs answer qs for other halls too

When you stay for the second year, given that there are limited adapted rooms in Chamberlain, will you be in a flat with first years again or do they put you with others in your year group? Thanks.
Hi, this is a place where Freshers can ask questions. I'm a second year student at the University of Southampton so I was in your position last year. Anything you would like to ask a current student pop here. No question is stupid. All advice I give will be from my own personal experience.

Hi
I am asking on behalf of someone. They have been accepted for a course in Highfield campus but have signed a contract with Erasmus Park hall in Winchester not knowing it is in another city. The university is not being very helpful in addressing the request for a change of accommodation. The student is looking for a swap or someone to take over the contract or to be relived of the contract. do you have any advice? thank you
Reply 6
what areas of southampton are not good to be near?
Hiii, just got a clearing offer from southampton and am completely new to this uni, any tips on where to get GC links or find out people doing your course? thankss
Hiii, just got a clearing offer from southampton and am completely new to this uni, any tips on where to get GC links or find out people doing your course? thankss

hi id recommend you check out unifi
thank u smm
hi id recommend you check out unifi
Reply 10
Hey, any1 doing CS?
Reply 11
When you stay for the second year, given that there are limited adapted rooms in Chamberlain, will you be in a flat with first years again or do they put you with others in your year group? Thanks.

I'll be with first years, but I'm in a quiet flat so hopefully they won't be rowdy
Reply 12
Original post by EileenValery
Hi
I am asking on behalf of someone. They have been accepted for a course in Highfield campus but have signed a contract with Erasmus Park hall in Winchester not knowing it is in another city. The university is not being very helpful in addressing the request for a change of accommodation. The student is looking for a swap or someone to take over the contract or to be relived of the contract. do you have any advice? thank you

I'm assuming they've already called the student hub. But if not call them. Also look on the Facebook group for freshers I've seen someone posting they are trying to find someone to take their Wessex room. Unfortunately they're oversubscribed for halls this year and are having to put people in private halls. If they get to a point where they can't move, there's a free bus between the two campuses and I think they're making it more regular this year. It's not an ideal situation but I know someone that had to do it last year.
Reply 13
Original post by acdemi
what areas of southampton are not good to be near?

Depends what u like. I personally wouldn't live in bevois town coz it's where lots of clubs are and so is a bit grotty. Personally I like to be close to campus, so Bassett, swathlying, Highfield. If I were u I'd make sure I'm on a good bus route for getting to uni or somewhere u can walk
Reply 14

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968854383341739/?ref=share
This is the Freshers Facebook and lots of people post on there what they're doing and get added to GCs that way
Reply 15
hi, i'm joining southampton this September - I was wondering if for the freshers week, do you have to sign up to events beforehand? also - did you go with flatmates or alone :smile:
Hey everyone :smile: Just to say I've merged the thread with the new official Southampton freshers 2023 thread. Good luck on your new adventure!
Reply 17
Original post by pops.s
hi, i'm joining southampton this September - I was wondering if for the freshers week, do you have to sign up to events beforehand? also - did you go with flatmates or alone :smile:

Last year we has to sign up to stuff but idk if that was a COVID precaution. You sign up on the mysouthampton app. I know you defo have to sign up to things like bunfight (clubs and Doc's fair). But everything run by the uni is on mysouthampton or the Susu website
Original post by pops.s

And I went with a friend I'd made before uni online who lived in the next block. Lots of people go with their flatmates or people they've met at other things. Some things I went to alone too
I'll be with first years, but I'm in a quiet flat so hopefully they won't be rowdy

Thanks. This year you could only apply for adapted or quiet not both. Does the room come with a lamp and a bin? Is there anything else you recommend bringing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending