The Student Room Group

Do I need to declare my U in additional maths?

Because I got an A* in GCSE maths early, my school made me do FSMQ additional maths. We didn't have a teacher and only has a few months to learn it so I ended up with a U in the exam. UCAS says you must declare all qualifications even those you have failed so I'm worried that if I don't declare it I'll get in trouble but if I do it might go against my application. I got an A in AS maths and am on track to get an A at A2, and I didn't really want to do additional maths at school anyway so I don't really see why it matters that I enter it.

By "even those you have failed" do they mean you got less than a C, or you got a U? Do I absolutely have to declare it, seeing as it's not an A-level or a GCSE and I didn't choose to take it? If I don't declare it, what could happen? If I did declare it, would it put universities off offering me a place? Would I have any opportunity to explain the situation of not really having proper lessons or anything for it?
Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy
Because I got an A* in GCSE maths early, my school made me do FSMQ additional maths. We didn't have a teacher and only has a few months to learn it so I ended up with a U in the exam. UCAS says you must declare all qualifications even those you have failed so I'm worried that if I don't declare it I'll get in trouble but if I do it might go against my application. I got an A in AS maths and am on track to get an A at A2, and I didn't really want to do additional maths at school anyway so I don't really see why it matters that I enter it.

By "even those you have failed" do they mean you got less than a C, or you got a U? Do I absolutely have to declare it, seeing as it's not an A-level or a GCSE and I didn't choose to take it? If I don't declare it, what could happen? If I did declare it, would it put universities off offering me a place? Would I have any opportunity to explain the situation of not really having proper lessons or anything for it?

I was told that I should list everything just incase universities do go and check. Under normal circumstances I would assume that your school would explain the extenuating circumstances that lead to the U on your reference but I can't tell whether you're at the same school or not and thus whether they would do that.
Reply 2

No, we did Add maths too, and we got told that ypu absolutely DON'T have to declare it, especially if you've done AS maths.
Add maths is good to declare if you had a good grade and stopped doing maths afterwards (ie not doing maths at AS)
So yeah, as you said, it's "free standing" and not a GCSE or A-level, so don't bother :smile:

Original post by vannson
No, we did Add maths too, and we got told that ypu absolutely DON'T have to declare it, especially if you've done AS maths.
Add maths is good to declare if you had a good grade and stopped doing maths afterwards (ie not doing maths at AS)
So yeah, as you said, it's "free standing" and not a GCSE or A-level, so don't bother :smile:

Ucas are very clear about the fact that you have to declare ALL results, whether ungraded or not, as you can see in the Ucas declaration right at the top in Section a:

http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Reply 4

You'll be better of asking your maths teacher or your tutor
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've emailed my tutor for help but probably won't get a reply until Monday. I'm at a different college now so I can't get anyone to explain the reasoning for the grade kn my reference. I think I might just have to declare it to be safe, but I don't have an exam certificate (because I failed it) so I don't know what exam board it was and I don't know what month I did it in either so that might be a bit tricky.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've emailed my tutor for help but probably won't get a reply until Monday. I'm at a different college now so I can't get anyone to explain the reasoning for the grade kn my reference. I think I might just have to declare it to be safe, but I don't have an exam certificate (because I failed it) so I don't know what exam board it was and I don't know what month I did it in either so that might be a bit tricky.

Isn't FSMQ OCR?
Original post by Jitesh
Isn't FSMQ OCR?

It might be, I'll have a look on their website.
I've had a reply from my tutor at college and they're saying I have to declare it :frown: Oh well
I've had a reply from my tutor at college and they're saying I have to declare it :frown: Oh well

As I said in post 4, Ucas are very clear on that point.

Hi, sorry I know this is an old thread but I have recently done FSMQ Add Maths and not done very well either :/ I was wondering; did any universities care about your grade in it, or even reject you because of it, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
Sorry this is so late lol but did you face any problems when you didn’t declare this grade?
Original post by John9374i
Sorry this is so late lol but did you face any problems when you didn’t declare this grade?

As per post #9 the OP did declare this grade.

Unless FM is an essential subject, Uni's don't care what you achieved in a fourth subject. As above and in every similar thread, any offer you receive could be withdrawn if you don't declare all your qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending