The Student Room Group

Applying to uni with 2 A Levels and a Pending grade

I have 2 A Levels (A and C), an EPQ (D), and a Pending grade (self studying a third A Level)

Do I have a chance of getting an offer for courses requiring BBC ?
Original post by Studentmaybe111
I have 2 A Levels (A and C), an EPQ (D), and a Pending grade (self studying a third A Level)

Do I have a chance of getting an offer for courses requiring BBC ?

When you say "a Pending grade", do you mean that it will stay pending and that you referee will not make a prediction? If you got that subject predicted as an A or a B, then you'd have AAC or ABC, against a BBC requirement, meaning you'd have a good chance of an offer. I really don't know what unis would do if it was just left at "Pending" with no prediction. How would they be able to make a decision as to your likely grade?

Also, did you only take 2 A levels initially? Or did you take a third, but got a poor grade (or a U) and so are not declaring it? The reason I ask is that UCAS say, "You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards whether you have the result (even any that were ungraded) or you’re still awaiting exams and results."
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "a Pending grade", do you mean that it will stay pending and that you referee will not make a prediction? If you got that subject predicted as an A or a B, then you'd have AAC or ABC, against a BBC requirement, meaning you'd have a good chance of an offer. I really don't know what unis would do if it was just left at "Pending" with no prediction. How would they be able to make a decision as to your likely grade?

Also, did you only take 2 A levels initially? Or did you take a third, but got a poor grade (or a U) and so are not declaring it? The reason I ask is that UCAS say, "You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards whether you have the result (even any that were ungraded) or you’re still awaiting exams and results."

I'm not sure how I can get a predicted grade as I'm self studying with no tutor?

I was doing 3 A Levels until year 13 but I dropped one.

Also I'm eligible for contextual offers.
Original post by Studentmaybe111
I'm not sure how I can get a predicted grade as I'm self studying with no tutor?

I was doing 3 A Levels until year 13 but I dropped one.

Also I'm eligible for contextual offers.

OK. Understood.

In that case, the application will be sent to UCAS will the "Pending" grade, and universities won't have the benefit of a prediction. Given that you have achieved an A and C in your other two A levels, they might assume that your additional A level will be in that range. Or they might look at your GCSE results, to see if that gives them any clues.

Given that you are a contextual candidate, I suspect that they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and will assume that your additional A level will be at an appropriate level for them to make you an offer. As a result, I believe that you have a reasonable chance of receiving an offer.

Are you using your previous school/college as the referee? It'd be worth asking them to mention in your reference that you are self-studying that additional A level, as that provides a justification for the lack of a predicted grade.

Good luck! :crossedf:
Original post by DataVenia
OK. Understood.

In that case, the application will be sent to UCAS will the "Pending" grade, and universities won't have the benefit of a prediction. Given that you have achieved an A and C in your other two A levels, they might assume that your additional A level will be in that range. Or they might look at your GCSE results, to see if that gives them any clues.

Given that you are a contextual candidate, I suspect that they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and will assume that your additional A level will be at an appropriate level for them to make you an offer. As a result, I believe that you have a reasonable chance of receiving an offer.

Are you using your previous school/college as the referee? It'd be worth asking them to mention in your reference that you are self-studying that additional A level, as that provides a justification for the lack of a predicted grade.

Good luck! :crossedf:

Ok, thank you very much for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending