The Student Room Group

Should i include my sat score in mycambridge application

I got a 1380 for my Sat, which i took to apply to american university. However should i include it in mycambridege application?
You should have included it on your ucas application. You declared that your UCAS application included all formal exams and qualifications so leaving it out is technically fraudulent.

If you didn’t then you should fill in the online form on the auCAS website to add it in and yes you should list it on the SAQ for Cambridge
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You should have included it on your ucas application. You declared that your UCAS application included all formal exams and qualifications so leaving it out is technically fraudulent.

If you didn’t then you should fill in the online form on the auCAS website to add it in and yes you should list it on the SAQ for Cambridge

my school has helped me sent out the UCAS application using my forecast for a levels. They did not mention too add my SAT score so i think it is optional. Will a score of 1380 reduce my chances of getting into Cambridge as i got 4A* for my forecast grades
Original post by Sarim Khalil
my school has helped me sent out the UCAS application using my forecast for a levels. They did not mention too add my SAT score so i think it is optional. Will a score of 1380 reduce my chances of getting into Cambridge as i got 4A* for my forecast grades

It’s not optional. UCAS states that you MUST list ALL exams and qualifications. If your school told you to withhold details of a formal exam like your SAT then they’re not very good at understanding UCAS or the implications of withholding qualifications. Lying about your qualifications is more harmful to your application than a lower grade in an irrelevant qualification - the point is that universities decide what is and isn’t relevant not applicants.

fill in the form on the UCAS website to add it in and include it on the additional information asked for by Cambridge.

You agreed to this declaration when you submitted your UCAS application https://www.ucas.com/about-us/policies/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-undergraduate-declaration
(edited 6 months ago)
That's bloody outrageous! Why should anyone be forced to declare all qualifications? Surely this should be view in the honest light that potentially not declaring qualifications could lead to the candidate putting themselves at a disadvantage. Why the need to mandate and verify?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
That's bloody outrageous! Why should anyone be forced to declare all qualifications? Surely this should be view in the honest light that potentially not declaring qualifications could lead to the candidate putting themselves at a disadvantage. Why the need to mandate and verify?

Why is requiring honesty and complete information outrageous?
It isn't, but it shouldn't be mandatory to list all your qualifications. What's outrageous is that they could cancel your application as a result.
(edited 6 months ago)
It isn't, but it shouldn't be mandatory to list all your qualifications. What's outrageous is that you could cancel your application as a result.

why shouldn't it be mandatory to include all the information asked for in an application?
Shouldn't it be an individual choice to choose which qualifications you wish to be considered? Within reason, say if you have a GCSE certificate with all GCSE that you're going to upload to the system - they'll see everything. But say if you have one Level 2 BTEC that you know won't make a difference, why should you be made to declare it?
My point being, a candidate should be encouraged to declare all their qualifications, failure to do so may put them at a disadvantage in their application. Uploaded certificates will result in consideration of all qualifications on that certificate.
(edited 6 months ago)
Shouldn't it be an individual choice to choose which qualifications you wish to be considered? Within reason, say if you have a GCSE certificate with all GCSE that you're going to upload to the system - they'll see everything. But say if you have one Level 2 BTEC that you know won't make a difference, why should you be made to declare it?
My point being, a candidate should be encouraged to declare all their qualifications, failure to do so may put them at a disadvantage in their application. Uploaded certificates will result in consideration of all qualifications on that certificate.

No - it's up to universities to decide what qualifications are relevant not applicants.
That is not what I'm arguing now is it. Why should UCAS mandate that all qualifications are uploaded, or else rish the application being cancelled, not even considered - I refer you to my example about a single BTEC certificate. It's for the universities to decide yes, hence upload relevant qualifications to match those entry requirements. One does not *need* to upload all their qualifications for a university application.
(edited 6 months ago)
That is not what I'm arguing now is it. Why should UCAS mandate that all qualifications are uploaded, or else rish the application being cancelled, not even considered - I refer you to my example about a single BTEC certificate. It's for the universities to decide yes, hence upload relevant qualifications to match those entry requirements. One does not *need* to upload all their qualifications for a university application.

Because universities need to have a transparent, accurate picture of the applicant’s overall academic profile. They cannot do that without the details of every qualification taken.

Let’s put it another way - suppose there are two candidates applying to Oxbridge, Candidate A has 988877777766 at GCSE (so is a consistent performer bar the two 6s). But Candidate B has 999998866443 (so more 9s but more erratic than Candidate A). If Candidate B omits the 4s and 3s, they are putting A at an unfair disadvantage as their grade profile comes across as stronger when this is not the case.

I know there are other factors considered in the process besides grades, but there is nothing unjust or unfair about requesting every grade achieved, quite the opposite in fact.
No that's not a good enough explanation. Candidate B has chosen to exclude that he has two other L2 GCSEs.
I presume a university system would take into account each grade, assigning it some sort of tariff point or. The lack points from those two other GCSEs (presumably L1 qualifications add minimal tarrif anyway), they then have 3 GCSEs less than candidate A on the application. It could well be that candidate A has more tarrif points than A because they have 3 more GCSEs, all at L2 with good grades.

It is still in candidate B's interest to submit all qualifications he has attained. But should he wish to potentially undermine his application he can do. He has earnt his qualifications, he should have the right to decide which ones are more important than the others. Sure, UCAS does nothing unjust in requesting this information... but it should just be a request and not a mandate. Also, this methodology of verification falls flat on it's face when trying to evaluate International candidates who have gone through different education systems - UCAS obviously does not have the power to independently verify whether they have indeed declared all their qualifications. So international applicants might well not upload everything and we would be none the wiser.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending