The Student Room Group

Is London overrated?

Poll

Is London overrated?

I have only been as a tourist because I am from Sweden, a lot of my British friends say that it's overrated as a place to live unless you are rich? If you earn an "average" salary would you get more in another city like Birmingham, Manchester, or Bristol?

What do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

London is overrated, but if you want to have a career and good progression then you have no choice but to stay in London. Birmingham and Manchester are really chavvy like London.
Original post by 96jaimin96
London is overrated, but if you want to have a career and good progression then you have no choice but to stay in London. Birmingham and Manchester are really chavvy like London.

Why is it overrated? Because of the "chavvy" people?

Which big cities in the UK are nice then :frown:
The rest of the UK has so much to offer - including good jobs and career progression. It's simply wrong to say that London is everything.
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Why is it overrated? Because of the "chavvy" people?

Which big cities in the UK are nice then :frown:

None TBH, USA and Canada are the place to be if you want a career and a nice place, in the US states are like their own countries and you can get top jobs in different regions. If the UK was a state in USA then it would be the third poorest by GDP per capita.
Original post by Keyhofi
The rest of the UK has so much to offer - including good jobs and career progression. It's simply wrong to say that London is everything.

I mostly disagree, pupils at top universities like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham etc. want to either work in Law, MC, Investment Banking, HE, PE, Actuary. Prestigious companies in these places (that pay 100k) are all based in London. Even people that study dentistry want to come or stay in London because pay is considerably more. May I ask where your from and where you would like to work?
I don't think London's overrated, it totally deserves its reputation as a beautiful city (walking along the river, especially at night, is to die for) and as a world economic centre.
Reply 7
Original post by Tailored_Suit
I don't think London's overrated, it totally deserves its reputation as a beautiful city (walking along the river, especially at night, is to die for) and as a world economic centre.

Yeah couldn't agree more to your statement, london never sleeps. Travelling by day is boring but the night life is peaceful, walk through the thames and it's the best place you can be
I mostly disagree, pupils at top universities like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham etc. want to either work in Law, MC, Investment Banking, HE, PE, Actuary. Prestigious companies in these places (that pay 100k) are all based in London. Even people that study dentistry want to come or stay in London because pay is considerably more. May I ask where your from and where you would like to work?

London has the highest paying jobs, yes. London has the highest living costs too. If you're chasing money then London is the place to be. But if your dream job isn't to be a banker, for example if you want to work in science, then many of the big labs in the UK are outside of London. But if your job is just something standard, then a job outside of London will pay about the same (rent costs factored in) or more (house prices factored in) and has less competition.

It is not correct to believe that those six jobs you listed are the six jobs every single person wants to do. Only a small percentage of the population want to go into those.
I don't like London at all.
None TBH, USA and Canada are the place to be if you want a career and a nice place, in the US states are like their own countries and you can get top jobs in different regions. If the UK was a state in USA then it would be the third poorest by GDP per capita.

Evidence of that last claim? From the figures I can find the UK's GDP per capita would put it around 12th, between Minnesota and Maryland. (And Delaware and Alaska in 1st and 2nd place are anomalies for various reasons).

On the thread topic: London is great. Having lived in a few other bits of the UK, they're all basically rubbish by comparison. Sorry places that aren't London, you just aren't very interesting.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Evidence of that last claim? From the figures I can find the UK's GDP per capita would put it around 12th, between Minnesota and Maryland. (And Delaware and Alaska in 1st and 2nd place are anomalies for various reasons).

On the thread topic: London is great. Having lived in a few other bits of the UK, they're all basically rubbish by comparison. Sorry places that aren't London, you just aren't very interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/08/26/if-the-uk-was-a-u-s-state-it-would-be-the-second-poorest-behind-alabama-and-before-mississippi/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/surprise-were-poorer-america-4115105

https://www.rt.com/uk/182856-britain-poorer-us-state/

They would be nowhere near 12th according to the above.

Exactly. Thank god for London.
Reply 13
Original post by Tailored_Suit

London does not have,and never has had,a reputation for being beautiful.
Reply 14

I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in Brighton?

Or 'London by the Sea' as its known.
The cost of living is certainly overrated compared to its actual worth, but despite that London still has much more than any other UK city - more jobs, entertainment etc
I love London, I think it's beautiful. I definitely don't think it's overrated, although some parts of London are not so great. :erm:

This.
What I annoys me about London
(especially in Central London) is the high level of traffic you can get stuck into in some parts of the day.
It's massively overrated. Extremely busy and massively over expensive and you can do most things you can in London elsewhere.

Spoiler

Generally, people really moan about all aspects of London, so if anything, it's probably underrated in reality, as it's not that bad.

London is what it is, a capital city. Busy, expensive. And the pros and cons that come with that balance it out. You enjoy it or you don't.

I live there, I don't enjoy it that much, I'd rather live in the countryside, but it is a lot of fun.

Quick Reply

Latest