The Student Room Group

uni options

ive currently received back 3/5 of my university choices from UCAS. i am from Leicester but i would love to study in London for a new experience. I'm still waiting for university of leicester to get back to me. however ive been accepted by DMU. tbh i dont want to go there but my dad is suggesting i should as London would be expensive, but the education there would be a lot better for the course i would like to do (Biomed). shall i listen to him or still insist on going to London for my education?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by gracedtb
ive currently received back 3/5 of my university choices from UCAS. i am from Leicester but i would love to study in London for a new experience. I'm still waiting for university of leicester to get back to me. however ive been accepted by DMU. tbh i dont want to go there but my dad is suggesting i should as London would be expensive, but the education there would be a lot better for the course i would like to do (Biomed). shall i listen to him or still insist on going to London for my education?

Hi there @gracedtb - firstly congratulations on your offer from us here at DMU! I hope you've managed to find some other places of interest to fill your choice spots too 😇

Definitely, I was the same, being from Leicester I wanted to leave and move away for a new experience and independence! 👯 It can be a big adjustment however, and as you're Dad mentioned the expenses living in London can be an extra pressure and stress, on top of your University studies and adjustment to a new city🌆

Choosing a University that is highly rated or accredited for your chosen course, especially those in Health Sciences, is quite important for future career prospects but not always absolutely necessary🔬. Our Biomedical Science Bsc (Hons) is accredited by the IBMS🥼, however, we understand that we aren't always the right fit for everyone!
If you have found an IBMS accredited programme offered at a London University that you like and would be interested in then that might be the best option for you - if it feels right😁 The best way to get a 'feel' for if it will be a good environment, campus, and experience you can adapt to is by attending Open Days! The majority of Universities will have Open Days or taster events over the coming months for applicants 📅

I hope this has helped a tad - I went to University (York) for three years before returning to Leicester. You can always visit and return on the direct trains and coaches that run from London to Leicester and to elsewhere - for a mini-break perhaps☀️ - also. 🚊

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
Original post by gracedtb

Just wait to get all your decisions back before making any choices on what you will firm or insure from your choices.

That said personally I think London is extremely overrated. And yes, it's very expensive. I don't even live there and just commute and it's still expensive. It's literally even just more expensive to buy things there - if I buy lunch or a drink in London, it literally costs more than buying the exact same thing from the exact same chain but in the city I live in. Absurd.

Whether the "education there would be a lot better" is perhaps debatable. Really depends on the uni you go to. The simple fact of the uni being in London does not automatically imply teaching is better.

But as above, wait to get all your decisions back - there is no rush and you have until June usually to make your choices.

Also, I've moved your thread to the biological and life sciences forum - the medicine forum is just for queries about applying to medicine. Biomedical sciences queries belongs in the former forum :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Just wait to get all your decisions back before making any choices on what you will firm or insure from your choices.

That said personally I think London is extremely overrated. And yes, it's very expensive. I don't even live there and just commute and it's still expensive. It's literally even just more expensive to buy things there - if I buy lunch or a drink in London, it literally costs more than buying the exact same thing from the exact same chain but in the city I live in. Absurd.

Whether the "education there would be a lot better" is perhaps debatable. Really depends on the uni you go to. The simple fact of the uni being in London does not automatically imply teaching is better.

But as above, wait to get all your decisions back - there is no rush and you have until June usually to make your choices.

Also, I've moved your thread to the biological and life sciences forum - the medicine forum is just for queries about applying to medicine. Biomedical sciences queries belongs in the former forum :smile:

Thank you!! Got an offer from Uni of Leic so I’ve made them my firm choice! I’ve decided to just stay haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending