The Student Room Group

Religious people!Would you send your children to a gay to straight conversion teraphy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
But this is a thriller of a thread!
Could you quite possibly explain how your own human body indicates your judgement over your peers? Does your body shiver when you see a homosexual? Because that would just make you seem more camp...

Yes the thought of homosexuals does make me shiver, and despite all our difference everyone does have similar body- we all have sexual organs.
Original post by *Stefan*
You are a stubborn flower aren't you?

What has the chance of fertility or spread of HIV have to do with it being right or wrong?

I've answered for your claims in the previous post and, as expected, you ignored them because you couldn't answer the questions.

Let's change the question then:

Being religious is wrong because a) there is no proof of a God being out there (akin to your own claim about the gay gene, from an irrelevant study mind you), b) most religious people are not educated and c) religious people are more likely to kill others because of their beliefs.

How fair does that sound? Do you like your pathetic argument being used for you yourself?

We both know the answer.

If something spreads HIV which is untreatable it is bad because it causes major suffering.
You have a pathetic God argument::colone: God is an alien in a way because he is outside of earth e.g: in the universe somewhere. To deny the existence of God is to deny the existence of aliens which is silly- water on Mars and bacteria on certain planets- bacteria are aliens to you know?- If on a different planet!!! Also God is not disproved yet so we cannot conclude God doesn't exist.
Your stubborn too. btw.:biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by parrot16
If something spreads HIV which is untreatable it is bad because it causes major suffering.
You have a pathetic God argument::colone: God is an alien in a way because he is outside of earth e.g: in the universe somewhere. To deny the existence of God is to deny the existence of aliens which is silly- water on Mars and bacteria on certain planets- bacteria are aliens to you know?- If on a different planet!!! Also God is not disproved yet so we cannot conclude God doesn't exist.
Your stubborn too. btw.:biggrin:

And I told you. I would accept the HIV argument if it only applies to homosexuals. HOWEVER, for the hundredth time, it applies to almost as many heterosexuals as well. As such, your argument is fallacious as it contradicts your own statement. I can't make this any more simple for you.

So, that's your proof for the existence of God? Don't make me laugh please. Do you have any evidence about bacteria on other planets by the way or did you just make this up, yet again? Also, the burden of proof falls on your to actually prove your God. You can't ask someone to disprove something you claim. By this logic, I think that gigantic red balloons exist in a faraway planet. Does that make it true because you cannot disprove it?

I don't think I'm stubborn here. You make erroneous claims (stubbornly) and I destroy them. Plain and simple.

Finally, here's something for you to read: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/10443/20141118/homosexuality-genetic-strongest-evidence.htm

Original post by PharaohFromSpace
@*Stefan*
What were you answers to the other post? I want to know because I want to see if I could answer.

It's in the second page of this thread (or first for you as I'm using my tablet now).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
1. A penis is supposed to go into a vagina not an anus.
2. Homosexuals cannot reproduce naturally.
3. Homosexuals have the most HIV and are at most risk for catching
4. Even though animals may practice homosexuality, that doesn't make it right for humans!

1. Says who? Please, tell us the conversation you had with whichever God you believe in where he explained to you what a dick is supposed to be used for.
2. Neither can impotent straight people, should they be punished for being wrong as well?
3. Women get breast cancer a lot more often then men do. Sickle cell traits are more common in people of African descent. Are all women and African people objectively wrong simply for being what they are? Besides, HIV is only easier to get during unprotected anal sex. Condoms are still a thing, despite what the old pope might've told you.
4. Humans are animals. The fact that other animals can be homosexual is something people bring up to show that it's completely natural.
She obviously bases her opinion on religion, and as such we cannot exclude this topic.
(Note: I do not have anything against religious people and I still consider myself part of the Christian family. The argument is only used to reflect her own)
Good.
Yes the thought of homosexuals does make me shiver, and despite all our difference everyone does have similar body- we all have sexual organs.
So you think that your body gives you a right to judge other people because you shiver at homosexuals? Your more deranged than I thought.
Reply 65
I will look at the first page, but in response to the URL, it is interesting but 1- its not exactly a scientific article (something on pubmed was what I was looking for, or a similar scholar article) as the ads suggest.
2- the article itself says research will still be conducted to see if the gene is present in hetrosexuals. So no facts are present.

SECOND :
In regards to the HIV debate, youre right, hetrosexuals have it, HOWEVER, only those who have had multiple sexual partners, which in my opinion, (no offence to anyone again) I think shouldnt exactly be done.

Well, that was exactly my point. Her own "studies" are in fact much weaker than this. You cannot proclaim something to be true just because it has not been found 100%. That's ridiculous, as it would apply to everything before they were, in fact invented/discovered.

Well, isn't that true for homosexuals too? If two partners get tested and have sex with each other only, they won't contact the virus. That applies to heteros as well. The fact is that homosexuals, for example, and making a guess here, may just not want to have a specific partner (for various reasons, one being the discrimination being displayed here!), and so simply go with many people. As silly a preposition this may sound, it may be 100% correct. And there many be thousand other reasons. The factors involved are as such gravely insufficient to claim that "HIV proves homosexuality is bad", which is both immature and silly.
Reply 66
-snip-

Fairly sure you're a troll, but you and your ilk need feeding every now and then. Here's one of the most prominent speakers on evolution of our time explaining it in nice and easy to understand words:
[video="youtube;IDmQns78FR8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmQns78FR8[/video]
You cannot use animal behaviour to prove a point about humans. Sorry but dogs urinate to mark their territory, a human doing that would be put in an insane asylum.

I like how you ignored the part about choice. Very good.

Bonobos are very closely related to humans and much of their social traits can also be observed in humans. Dogs are not even vaguely related other than being mammals.
Reply 68
Well scientifically speaking, there is no such thing as 100% (which is why humans need belief and hope in my opinion) so you are right in a sense, but we can get pretty damn close. So although HIV on its own isnt enough, it can be used to back up our opinion, (because of the whole mucuos thing) but coupled with other pieces of evidence, such as evolution, our conclusion is not a silly one.

I read the articles, so far, all of them only have hypotheses, while I presented scientific facts, so I still stand by my opinion.

No it is not. HIV has nothing to do with homosexuality being bad. I can't believe people still make such immature claims. HIV won't choose someone on the basis of whether they're homosexual or heterosexual. It'll choose someone on the basis of their sexual activities, which vary significantly from people to people, be they homosexual or heterosexuals. Your argument is entirely fallacious and I don't understand why you don't see it.

By your logic, again, Ebola is mostly found in black people. Is that to say that being black is wrong? Seriously people, this is exactly what you sound like!

Finally, If you are one of those people who think HIV is divine punishment, present both factual evidence for this AND explain why it's found in heteros as well and we may discuss this further. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time with empty prepositions.

I have not seen you make any scientific fact yet. If anything, I'd argue it's the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dogs choose to love their owners or not, they are alot more related than you think. Penguins huddle for warmth, a human trait. Sheep follow the leader, (sadly sometimes a human trait). Insects move in order, a human trait. All animals posess human traits and almost all mammals choose their actions (if not all). Yet that does not mean we should copy them or use them as role models, sources of inspiration, fine, but saying homosexuality is ok because bonobos do it is not. They also happen to bare their teeth in anger, we shouldn't do that.
And since they do it, it is probably beneficial for them, but that does not mean it applies to us, unless you suggest we slide on our bellies and catch fish with our mouths.

This is all irrelevant because there is absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality.
Hell no. Homosexuality is natural and normal, therefore it must be a part of God's creation, therefore it would be a sin to change it.
Reply 71
honest answer; is that, yes, because how can a gay son carry on my bloodline, he needs to reproduce that is the most important thing for me
How can it be irrelevant, its science.

How has homosexuality negatively effected humanity as a whole?
But you ignored my question.

Trust me when I tell you I am more than willing to be convinced that homosexuality is ok, just give me proof.

Generally questions are followed by question marks.

It is **** science.
Reply 74
Ebola is involunatry. It is not the persons fault. Mucuos lining the rectum is thinner than in the vagina was my scientific fact.
And please please make no assumptions about my beliefs, I never said HIV is divine punishment, never said it wasn't. I am presenting statistics, and making a personal opinion, thats all.

Again, your arguments are fallacious. I could go on to argue how people could better protect them against any virus (just like you do with HIV). That's not the point.
Again, HIV depends entirely on practices, not sexual orientation - it won't prefer one to another, and it cannot be used as supporting evidence for this exact reason.

@*Stefan*
Also I am african, and live in africa, so do not presume that I have not seen ebola, and never has my logic said that people who have ebola are at fault.

I only made a parallel argument - that is, reflecting your own.
1. So, what about the myriads of heterosexual couples engaging in such activities? Are they "objectively" wrong? Who gave you the authority to call something wrong on behalf of everyone else?
2. So, heterosexual couples which do not want to reproduce are unnatural? Heterosexual couples which cannot reproduce are unnatural? Why is "natural" relevant here?
3. What a false dichotomy. It does not make it "objectively" wrong. This is such a silly generalisation. I would have accepted that if the stats were 100% - not even close. Too many factors come in here to reach that silly conclusion.
4. Again, the mentality of a hardcore religious person. Before, you said that it is unnatural. Now, you say that it being natural (since it is found in animals as well) is irrelevant. Do you note the hypocrisy here? Are you only going to use the "natural" argument when it suits your needs?

All in all, all you offered is what religious people call "arguments" based on subjective morality. Case dismissed.

I kudos this
Reply 76
Original post by Zzzyax
honest answer; is that, yes, because how can a gay son carry on my bloodline, he needs to reproduce that is the most important thing for me

Have more sons? Get a surrogate mother?
Also what makes you think a "gay therapy" session would make him want to have children with a woman? Could you make yourself like the same gender as you whenever you wanted to?
Reply 77
From a Christian: the word "natural" is so often mis-used in this debate, in my opinion. I do think that homosexuality is a sin - and my plain reason for that is that I believe from the evidence, explanations and its effect on my own life that the Bible is the Word of God. However, in a sinful world, homosexuality is natural (although imperfect if you understand the distinction). I mean, come on, some people are NATURALLY allured that way. Comes down to definition and it's so vague.

As for the topic question, I wouldn't, no. Having same-sex attraction is something that is a wrong part of human nature, but trying to change a person to become straight is DEFINITELY NOT the right way forward to deal with it. Cleaning the person in ANY sin before the transforming work of salvation is not the way the Bible teaches. Don't get me wrong - we can say what's right and what's wrong. But Jesus came for the sick and not for the well. (Luke 5:31)
Original post by hogree
From a Christian: the word "natural" is so often mis-used in this debate, in my opinion. I do think that homosexuality is a sin - and my plain reason for that is that I believe from the evidence, explanations and its effect on my own life that the Bible is the Word of God. However, in a sinful world, homosexuality is natural (although imperfect if you understand the distinction). I mean, come on, some people are NATURALLY allured that way. Comes down to definition and it's so vague.

As for the topic question, I wouldn't, no. Having same-sex attraction is something that is a wrong part of human nature, but trying to change a person to become straight is DEFINITELY NOT the right way forward to deal with it. Cleaning the person in ANY sin before the transforming work of salvation is not the way the Bible teaches. Don't get me wrong - we can say what's right and what's wrong. But Jesus came for the sick and not for the well. (Luke 5:31)

I agree with you 100%
I would accept them but would still pray for them that the Lord will change their heart if it is his will :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by hogree

What if they are born with same sex attracrions. And as far as I am aware Christianity views sodomy is sinful and not SSA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest